Oversize tires by Csjag
Started on: 01-17-2014 10:51 AM
Replies: 6 (232 views)
Last post by: Csjag on 01-17-2014 08:43 PM
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see a lot of people putting very wide oversize tires on the Fiero. I have also seen pictures posted of collapsed suspensions on Fieros. Are the suspension components built to handle the oversize tires or could they be causing the suspension failures? It seems as if the oversize tires would be generating an awful lot of strain on the ball joints and tie rods and control arms.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many of the oversize tire/wheel combinations are lighter than the stock Fiero tires and wheels. The bigger problem is spacers, and they primarily wreck bearings. I think the suspension parts fail mostly because of age and neglect.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depends on what you call oversize. Wider won't affect suspension other than to cause a harsher ride at times.

taller is another issue. It increases your final drive ratio and increases pressure on the tranny components.

Allot of guys including me do well with 55 series or 50's. I have 55x225 on the back and 55x195 on the front.

Arn
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Arns85GT

11159 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Originally posted by Gall757:

Many of the oversize tire/wheel combinations are lighter than the stock Fiero tires and wheels. The bigger problem is spacers, and they primarily wreck bearings. I think the suspension parts fail mostly because of age and neglect.

agreed. spacers can be a problem

[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 01-17-2014).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, I imagine how hard the car is driven has an effect too.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just running a lower profile tire will jar the bushings ans shocks/struts more due to there being less "give" to the tire itself. how to measure or quantify that I dont really know. I do know if your wheel offset is too far out from stock it can become harder to turn the steering wheel, which could be a sign that things are being stressed more.

I know there are some wheel offset/lowering suspension experts on this forum, they may chime in on this stuff too.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-17-2014).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Todays cars that come with the very low profile tires have suspension systems that were designed for the tires. When the Fiero was built the low profile passenger tires didn't exist, so I would be concerned about the stress they would put on the suspension parts.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock