oil consumption by Ducati Jones
Started on: 01-17-2014 09:09 AM
Replies: 10 (190 views)
Last post by: Old Lar on 01-17-2014 06:42 PM
Ducati Jones

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ducati JonesSend a Private Message to Ducati JonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 SE with 2.8 and AT. I have own the car for about 2 years now. I have no clue what was done to the car before I bought it. The car runs pretty strong for it's age. Odometer shows 180000 + miles. Only thing I have done to the engine is replace the fuel injectors and valve cover gaskets. I've done nothing to the bottom end other than remove years of old oil that leaked all over the block from bad valve cover gaskets. The motor doesn't leak now but the stem seals are shot. If it sits for a while I get blue smoke on start up. After it warms up it doesn't seem to burn any oil. I put about 1000 miles a month on it. Half interstate and the rest suburband roads. At approx 2500 miles the puppy is a quart low. I'm doing oil changes around 5000 miles. So I'm adding a quart between changes. Does this seem about right for a car of this age?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
conan469

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for conan469Click Here to visit conan469's HomePageSend a Private Message to conan469Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
normal? that depends i guess, ford says that it's ok to burn a quart of oil between oil changes on there older trucks
if you can live with it and remember to add it is up to you if you want to correct it.
but as you burn oil (bad valve stem seals will leak under deceleration) it can clog up the catalytic converter.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many cars are different, some owners of cars only a few years old are told adding 1 or even 2 quarts is normal.
I am curious too what other people add between changes on a 2.8. (Not counting leaks onto the ground hopefully)
The 2.5's I have had used no oil between changes, even high mile cars.

I've had some cars that burn oil. The best oil I had luck with was Castrol, for some reason it burned slower.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-17-2014).]

Ducati Jones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ducati JonesSend a Private Message to Ducati JonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will try castol on the next change. I have been using mobile one super. On a side note can the stock oil pump handle adding a remote oil filter? I plan on adding a pair of vented lower quarter panels that I bought this spring. Thought about adding a remote filter set up that uses a larger filter. I would like to set the larger filter behind the vent on the passanger side. Kinda like a poor mans oil cooler.
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have a remote filter on my car and no issues.
I would say a qt every 1000 miles is not excessive but the Mobile 1 could be contributing to that.
I believe it's a bit thinner. For a stock engine with no issues I would try a non synthetic and see if it helps.
Even a slightly higher viscosity oil can be tried depending on the season.
Anyone else agree?
Ducati Jones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ducati JonesSend a Private Message to Ducati JonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not using the synthetic mobile one just the coventional Super brand. Maybe when it gets warmer around here I will try running something heavier. The weather forcast for next week is calling for single digits at night. Where is all this global warming I keep hearing about? Thanks for the info about the remote oil filter. Another thing for my Fiero to do list.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Without having any engine work done, Id call that acceptable. Dealer told me on my new Mustang, that 1 quart of oil for 2000 miles is acceptable for a brand new car. They wont do any repair work under warranty as long as it does that or better. I dont agree but whatcha gonna do. My 86 got 7000 miles using just a pint. It was even a turbo and I did thrash on it a bit. It had the little startup puff ever since the new engine...never got better or worse. Id just leave it alone.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mcguiver3:
Even a slightly higher viscosity oil can be tried depending on the season.
Anyone else agree?

IMO, Could first try Castrol 5w30, if it doesn't improve enough then when its warm out 10w30, still bad then could try 10w40.
There are some synthetics available in 5w40, they have a good cold start up viscosity, but a thicker running viscosity. But the synthetic will cost more. You have to take into account that thicker means doesnt flow as well though..

I had a Saturn 1.9 that would not burn any for the first 1000 miles after an oil change, then it would start to burn it.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-17-2014).]

Ducati Jones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ducati JonesSend a Private Message to Ducati JonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I run full synthetic in all my other vechicles. (2) Ducatis, Wife's PT Cruiser GT turbo and my Saturn Ion Redline. The Saturns oil change gets pricey as that sucker holds 7 quarts due to the supercharger. If the weather ever breaks I will try a heavier conventional oil and see if it helps. Thanks all for the info!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My oil use went down by half going to Castrol Syntec. Id suggest regular Castrol if you want to try it. I WOULD NOT change at your mileage to synthetic of any kind. It will have superior solvents that will clean residue off seals that are still sealing ok, resulting in more leaks. Myself, I basicly wont change to synthetic in anything over maybe 100K unless there are records its been serviced with it prior . Theres differences of opinion on that, so your on your own. Ive known people that switched on higher mileage cars only to regret it later. If you have records of impeccable upkeep or prior synthetic oil, it is the best, mainly because of its heat resistance and more stable viscosity. I used Castrol Syntec in my Ferrari, Lambo and GT40 kits, as well as my current Sebring daily driver. At 105,000 miles, it dont need any added between 7000/ yearly oil changes and runs perfectly as it did new.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 01-17-2014).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
neither my 87 GT nor my 88 GT use oil between oil changes (4000 miles) Although at one time I ran about 6000 miles on the 87 and it took 1/2 qt. The 87 gets dino oil, the 88 (a 3.4L with 70K miles) gets synthetic oil, Amsoil for the last several oil changes and M1 before that.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock