C.O.P. for L67? by conan469
Started on: 01-16-2014 03:44 PM
Replies: 128 (3427 views)
Last post by: ericjon262 on 03-02-2014 01:17 PM
conan469

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for conan469Click Here to visit conan469's HomePageSend a Private Message to conan469Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
woo hoo, page 2. and the admin hasn't trashed it yet.

Originally posted by ericjon262:

I pulled all of the various pinouts for the GM V6 PCM and compiled them in one spot here:

http://www.gearhead-efi.com...98-GM-V6-PCM-pinouts

the PCM sends a signal for each coil in a shortstar, now if there's a way to make that compatible with the 3800 using LSx coils, I'm not sure. I haven't really gotten to far into programming yet.

looking at the pinout charts i would assume that the programming would need to recognize the 3800 24x & 3x crank signals instead of the double (7x? 24x? 56x?) crank sensors.
the rest might just be adapting the harness correctly.

in my line of work, we just flash the oe program to the recommended ecm, we don't get into custom programs, so i'm totally in the dark on the programming.

[This message has been edited by conan469 (edited 01-23-2014).]

IP: Logged
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by conan469:

woo hoo, page 2. and the admin hasn't trashed it yet.

looking at the pinout charts i would assume that the programming would need to recognize the 3800 24x & 3x crank signals instead of the double (7x? 24x? 56x?) crank sensors.
the rest might just be adapting the harness correctly.

in my line of work, we just flash the oe program to the recommended ecm, we don't get into custom programs, so i'm totally in the dark on the programming.

there isn't really any real moderation on this forum...

as far as the PCM goes, the same PCM is used between most GM V6's, the programming is the only difference. the 3800 uses a 18x and 3x signal, the 3100 and 2400 use a 7x and 24x signal, and the short* uses a double 24x signal. so, yes, there is a toggle in the code for trigger setup.

[This message has been edited by ericjon262 (edited 01-23-2014).]

conan469

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for conan469Click Here to visit conan469's HomePageSend a Private Message to conan469Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

there isn't really any real moderation on this forum...

as far as the PCM goes, the same PCM is used between most GM V6's, the programming is the only difference. the 3800 uses a 18x and 3x signal, the 3100 and 2400 use a 7x and 24x signal, and the short* uses a double 24x signal. so, yes, there is a toggle in the code for trigger setup.

so it looks like it would work.
so what would i need to reflash an ecm?
or how would i go about it?
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you know how to tune, an AEM or MS can be had for $4-500. Obviously I'm biased to the aem, but either will do what you're looking for. You don't need two Pcms with an aftermarket standalone, but tuning and drivability will be much easier with the GM pcm. I'm in the process of a MS build for a wildly customized 2.8 fiero, and the car should run much better and make more power than the factory ecu as its currently set up.
conan469

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for conan469Click Here to visit conan469's HomePageSend a Private Message to conan469Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

If you know how to tune, an AEM or MS can be had for $4-500. Obviously I'm biased to the aem, but either will do what you're looking for. You don't need two Pcms with an aftermarket standalone, but tuning and drivability will be much easier with the GM pcm. I'm in the process of a MS build for a wildly customized 2.8 fiero, and the car should run much better and make more power than the factory ecu as its currently set up.

I have no idea how to tune an ecm, but i think the factory short* ecm and code could be a good start
Which AEM stand alone do you recommend? And of course will it run my coils?
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have no idea how to tune an ecm, but i think the factory short* ecm and code could be a good start
Which AEM stand alone do you recommend? And of course will it run my coils?

I think the crank trigger toggle in the tune changes the ignition outputs, probably not nearly as easy as a reflash, especially when when don't know the output signal from the PCM. it could be completely useless for driving LSx coils.

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

Built not bought... Because bolt-ons don't.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

so it looks like it would work.
so what would i need to reflash an ecm?
or how would i go about it?

I cant believe people are this dumb now.

You need to verify electrically what outputs the PCM has... and how to program them. Just programming some random PCM to read a xxx signal does nothing for driving standalone logic coils.... as I already said LAST WEEK.
conan469

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for conan469Click Here to visit conan469's HomePageSend a Private Message to conan469Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I cant believe people are this dumb now.

You need to verify electrically what outputs the PCM has... and how to program them. Just programming some random PCM to read a xxx signal does nothing for driving standalone logic coils.... as I already said LAST WEEK.

Sorry i didnt run this by you first.
Dumb is a bit harsh since you really dont know anything about me.
Im sure there are plenty of subjects in the world you are not an expert on, so how bout you back the hell up and try to be a little nicer and maybe help instead of critisize?

random? yeah i'm just gonna hit the junk yard and grab the first ecm i see.
i stated i was looking at the 2001 short* ecm, the pinouts are almost identical to the harness i have (2001 park ave ultra)
and the short* looks like it uses the correct coil control that i need.
and duh I will need to test to verify this

I don't need your "advice" when it's laced and dripping with attitude.

[This message has been edited by conan469 (edited 01-24-2014).]

conan469

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for conan469Click Here to visit conan469's HomePageSend a Private Message to conan469Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

conan469

96 posts
Member since Dec 2013

I think the crank trigger toggle in the tune changes the ignition outputs, probably not nearly as easy as a reflash, especially when when don't know the output signal from the PCM. it could be completely useless for driving LSx coils.

Obviously i dont know if this is true. But in normal computer programming all that would need to be done would be to replace one crank trigger subroutine with the code for the other. This would be more complicated than a reflash. I guess one would have to have both codes available to mix and match subroutines to get the desired results. And in the end it might not work.
i need to get one of these in the shop so i can test the coil driver circuit
we had one last week, didn't think about it then.

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whether or not you get this to work, there are some of us very interested in your trial/error with regards to the programming. Maybe there are much easier/better solutions to controlling a L67, but I like the fact that you're trying something different. You're probably going to waste time/money, but since you're aware of that going in, then just go for it. People told me I was dumb,etc for using an F23 trans years ago, now its popular. I was also told there is no reason to run an AEM EMS, but I wouldn't go back to GM if someone paid me.
conan469

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for conan469Click Here to visit conan469's HomePageSend a Private Message to conan469Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Whether or not you get this to work, there are some of us very interested in your trial/error with regards to the programming. Maybe there are much easier/better solutions to controlling a L67, but I like the fact that you're trying something different. You're probably going to waste time/money, but since you're aware of that going in, then just go for it. People told me I was dumb,etc for using an F23 trans years ago, now its popular. I was also told there is no reason to run an AEM EMS, but I wouldn't go back to GM if someone paid me.

i have no idea how to program the ecm, so i'll need to learn about that, or find someone that can.
i can get a gm ecm fairly cheap with my discount. which is why i was leaning towards this path. i am open to other ecms though if this can't work.
which AEM ams are you running? i went to their website and it was kinda vague on features in some aspects.

PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it's gonna be pretty tough to find someone to do the programming, I've been looking for help on the subject, best help I've recieved has been from gearhead-efi.com and delcohacking.

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

conan469

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for conan469Click Here to visit conan469's HomePageSend a Private Message to conan469Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i got a while before i'll need the ecm so i guess i'll start saving up for the MS in the meantime
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Obviously i dont know if this is true. But in normal computer programming all that would need to be done would be to replace one crank trigger subroutine with the code for the other.

If the hardware is the same part number, it's probably doable.

It could go either way in terms of software. If it were OBDI, I'd say that it's definitely a different program. I'm under the impression that GM is down to a single software library now that they're using the 58x wheel and the accompanying 2 or 3 PCM families. I would expect that if we were discussing a more modern app, it would be just a toggle in the software.

But for a late OBDII, but pre-58x application like this, it could go either way.

EFILive or HPTuners may be able to help put together a custom OS if the DIY method doesn't work out.

conan469

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for conan469Click Here to visit conan469's HomePageSend a Private Message to conan469Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the pin out charts for the two cars i'm looking at are nearly identical, i'll see if i can find the ecm numbers. if they are the same i might be in luck
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was debating whether or not I should post to this thread but I might have some information that could help the OP.

HP Tuners, TunerCat OBD2, EFI Live, DHP, etc. - all the editors out there that work with OBD2 PCMs don't even begin to scratch the surface of what's contained in a standard OBD2 PCM's 512kb tune file. They only have a fraction of parameters, tables, and flags defined in these PCM tune files. ("Defined" means they have been mapped out so you know what these tables and values do). Sure, you can open up the entire 512kb tune file and look at it with a hex / binary file editor, but all you are going to see are raw values. You aren't going to have any idea what table is where and what value is for what.

If you wanted to map out new parameters within an existing OS, what you need is a commented disassembly of the OBD2 code you are working with. These are pretty much impossible to come by for the general public. These disassemblies are what the tuning software companies use to make their tuning software with (as they tell you what tables, values, and such do in the tune file). So, understandably, these companies are not too willing to make that information available to the public. (I know because I have asked for it.)

To make matters worse, I have been told by more than one tuning software company that there are many different OBD2 V6 OS's. (OS is the operating system software GM compiled that the PCM uses to decipher the settings stored in the tune file and use to run the engine among other things). What this means is if you were able to decipher one OS used for say a Shortstar V6, that information may not help you at all for another Shortstar tune file if it has a different OS. This might be one of the reasons why it has been so difficult to get tables and values added to existing V6 applications already supported by the aftermarket tuning software companies. HP Tuners refused repeated requests from myself and many others to add tables to existing OBD2 3800 applications.

The only company that has been willing to do anything for me and a few other people is TunerCat. TunerCat is what made it possible for us to reprogram a 98 OBD2 3800 PCM to run a 4T60-E or 4L60-E instead of only being able to control a 4T65-E (which is what they were only set up to work with from the factory). TunerCat added switches, constants, and tables that made it possible for us to go in and instruct the 3800 PCM to use 4T60-E and 4L60-E shifting and input/output logic - which we learned was still contained within the L67 OS. It also appears as though it will be possible to control a 4T80-E transmission directly using one of these PCMs as well without the need for a relay to invert one of the shift solenoid outputs. Unfortunately, the only way you can buy the TunerCat software now is if you buy a used copy from a registered user who is selling their copy or if you buy the Moates.net roadrunner PCM and TunerCat software package. (TunerCat sold rights to commercially offer their software to the public to JET a number of years ago, and a version of their software is available to the public only as the JET DST Tuner version which has many more limitations than the standard TunerCat OBD2 program).

Having said all that, since the Shortstar and 3800 applications share the same PCM hardware, it might be possible there are a few things that could be changed in the Shortstar programming to make it work with the 3800's unique crank sensor/triggers. However, since the 3800's ignition module intercepts these signals and also controls the coils directly, it may not be that simple (and there may be no way to change settings in the OS of the PCM to do what you want to do with coil-over-plug on a 3800 without changing the crank sensor).

I think the easier way to accomplish what you want to do here is to have a custom crank trigger wheel made to attach to the 3800's balancer and then run the appropriate crank sensor for the Shortstar application on a 3800. This would give you the correct signals to work with the Shortstar OS. The only unknown here is timing of the cam sensor signal pulse relative to TDC and if that is any different on a 3800 vs. a Shortstar. If it is, you will need to do something there so that part of the system works properly.

Effectively, when you are done, you will be running a 100% Shortstar OS in your PCM on a 3800 just to get the coil-over-plug setup. I don't want to mislead you - even after you accomplish the mechanical modifications necessary to do this, you are going to be faced with HOURS of custom tuning work to get it running right.

Bottom line - it is going to require a LOT of funds and effort just to run coil-per-plug ignition on a 3800 - which isn't going to give you any performance increase or enhanced reliability over a quality OE 3800 coilpack ignition setup. I honestly think you could spend your money better elsewhere in the project. But hey, if you really want to do this; it is your car, after all.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 01-24-2014).]

conan469

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for conan469Click Here to visit conan469's HomePageSend a Private Message to conan469Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i was actually thinking of emailing you guys to see if it could be done.

but thank you, that's the kind of info i was looking for,
i was having trouble finding out if it was possible to change the code in the ecm.
guess it's harder than i thought.
i'm gonna go with the MS ecm then cause it'll do what i want, although for more money.
MS3 w/MS3X @ DIY AUTO TUNE
-or-
MS3pro @ DIY AUTO TUNE
either one will work, but first one is much cheaper.

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

I was debating whether or not I should post to this thread but I might have some information that could help the OP.

HP Tuners, TunerCat OBD2, EFI Live, DHP, etc. - all the editors out there that work with OBD2 PCMs don't even begin to scratch the surface of what's contained in a standard OBD2 PCM's 512kb tune file. They only have a fraction of parameters, tables, and flags defined in these PCM tune files. ("Defined" means they have been mapped out so you know what these tables and values do). Sure, you can open up the entire 512kb tune file and look at it with a hex / binary file editor, but all you are going to see are raw values. You aren't going to have any idea what table is where and what value is for what.

If you wanted to map out new parameters within an existing OS, what you need is a commented disassembly of the OBD2 code you are working with. These are pretty much impossible to come by for the general public. These disassemblies are what the tuning software companies use to make their tuning software with (as they tell you what tables, values, and such do in the tune file). So, understandably, these companies are not too willing to make that information available to the public. (I know because I have asked for it.)

To make matters worse, I have been told by more than one tuning software company that there are many different OBD2 V6 OS's. (OS is the operating system software GM compiled that the PCM uses to decipher the settings stored in the tune file and use to run the engine among other things). What this means is if you were able to decipher one OS used for say a Shortstar V6, that information may not help you at all for another Shortstar tune file if it has a different OS. This might be one of the reasons why it has been so difficult to get tables and values added to existing V6 applications already supported by the aftermarket tuning software companies. HP Tuners refused repeated requests from myself and many others to add tables to existing OBD2 3800 applications.

The only company that has been willing to do anything for me and a few other people is TunerCat. TunerCat is what made it possible for us to reprogram a 98 OBD2 3800 PCM to run a 4T60-E or 4L60-E instead of only being able to control a 4T65-E (which is what they were only set up to work with from the factory). TunerCat added switches, constants, and tables that made it possible for us to go in and instruct the 3800 PCM to use 4T60-E and 4L60-E shifting and input/output logic - which we learned was still contained within the L67 OS. It also appears as though it will be possible to control a 4T80-E transmission directly using one of these PCMs as well without the need for a relay to invert one of the shift solenoid outputs. Unfortunately, the only way you can buy the TunerCat software now is if you buy a used copy from a registered user who is selling their copy or if you buy the Moates.net roadrunner PCM and TunerCat software package. (TunerCat sold rights to commercially offer their software to the public to JET a number of years ago, and a version of their software is available to the public only as the JET DST Tuner version which has many more limitations than the standard TunerCat OBD2 program).

Having said all that, since the Shortstar and 3800 applications share the same PCM hardware, it might be possible there are a few things that could be changed in the Shortstar programming to make it work with the 3800's unique crank sensor/triggers. However, since the 3800's ignition module intercepts these signals and also controls the coils directly, it may not be that simple (and there may be no way to change settings in the OS of the PCM to do what you want to do with coil-over-plug on a 3800 without changing the crank sensor).

I think the easier way to accomplish what you want to do here is to have a custom crank trigger wheel made to attach to the 3800's balancer and then run the appropriate crank sensor for the Shortstar application on a 3800. This would give you the correct signals to work with the Shortstar OS. The only unknown here is timing of the cam sensor signal pulse relative to TDC and if that is any different on a 3800 vs. a Shortstar. If it is, you will need to do something there so that part of the system works properly.

Effectively, when you are done, you will be running a 100% Shortstar OS in your PCM on a 3800 just to get the coil-over-plug setup. I don't want to mislead you - even after you accomplish the mechanical modifications necessary to do this, you are going to be faced with HOURS of custom tuning work to get it running right.

Bottom line - it is going to require a LOT of funds and effort just to run coil-per-plug ignition on a 3800 - which isn't going to give you any performance increase or enhanced reliability over a quality OE 3800 coilpack ignition setup. I honestly think you could spend your money better elsewhere in the project. But hey, if you really want to do this; it is your car, after all.

-ryan

Ryan;

have you ever played around with tiny tuner? it's open source, and has way more tunable parameters then DHP used to offer. I think it's about on par with TC obd2, but doesn't flash PCM's.

http://theblattners.com/Pro...nyTuner/default.html

http://theblattners.com/pro...yEditor/Default.html

I'm going to be using this in conjunction with IDA, WINOLS, and a JIMstim to edit the 3400 code for my needs.

-Eric
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ericjon262

3082 posts
Member since Jan 2010

i was actually thinking of emailing you guys to see if it could be done.

but thank you, that's the kind of info i was looking for,
i was having trouble finding out if it was possible to change the code in the ecm.
guess it's harder than i thought.
i'm gonna go with the MS ecm then cause it'll do what i want, although for more money.
MS3 w/MS3X @ DIY AUTO TUNE
-or-
MS3pro @ DIY AUTO TUNE
either one will work, but first one is much cheaper.

it's possible, but just as it's been said, it won't be easy.
conan469

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for conan469Click Here to visit conan469's HomePageSend a Private Message to conan469Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds damn near impossible, i'll pass.
It would cost me so much in equipment, that it wouldn't be worth it unless i win the lottery
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It would cost me so much in equipment, that it wouldn't be worth it unless i win the lottery

I'm working on it for the 3400 programming. I'm going to try to pick up an oscilloscope so I can see what the signal outputs look like, and go from there.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

He outlined two ways to do it:

Unfortunately, the only way you can buy the TunerCat software now is if you buy a used copy from a registered user who is selling their copy or if you buy the Moates.net roadrunner PCM and TunerCat software package.

[b]I think the easier way to accomplish what you want to do here is to have a custom crank trigger wheel made to attach to the 3800's balancer and then run the appropriate crank sensor for the Shortstar application on a 3800. This would give you the correct signals to work with the Shortstar OS. The only unknown here is timing of the cam sensor signal pulse relative to TDC and if that is any different on a 3800 vs. a Shortstar. If it is, you will need to do something there so that part of the system works properly.

Going with TunerCat or Moates will cost some time and money, but could potentially be a "single box" solution.
http://www.moates.net/gm-19...rdware-c-100_56.html
The Road Runner guts kit + professional install (@$$uming they'll install it in a Shortstar PCM) comes to $550ish. That would be followed (or preceded?) by a pretty deep conversation with TunerCat about doing what you want to do in software. The bottom line is that if the aftermarket doesn't know how to do this in software, any money and time you spend is at risk.

The hardware solution is to build the external crank triggers to make the Shortstar OS think it's running a Shortstar instead of 3800. Of course you'll need to wire up LS1 coils instead of the Shortstar's coil packs. It just takes some expertise... people have been putting external crank triggers on engines as long as there's been aftermarket EFI controllers.

The tune will be interesting, but fundamentally will just be dyno time. Once Darth roughed in the Shelby controller for my Northstar, it took a local tuning shop 3-4 hours of dyno time to get the tune fairly sharp.

At times like this, I wish GM made their source code available. If PCM's were open source, projects like this would be cake.
Obviously they don't want competitors to be able to see their new software algorithms right away, but if they published the source after 10 years, the OE market would have progressed so much as to render the info worthless to competitors, but it would still be extremely valuable to the aftermarket.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a RR guts kit that I am going to install in a 3400 PCM (interchanges with the short*) it mainly just a matter of soldering on an install header. doesn't look too hard.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ryan;

have you ever played around with tiny tuner? it's open source, and has way more tunable parameters then DHP used to offer. I think it's about on par with TC obd2, but doesn't flash PCM's.

http://theblattners.com/Pro...nyTuner/default.html

http://theblattners.com/pro...yEditor/Default.html

I'm going to be using this in conjunction with IDA, WINOLS, and a JIMstim to edit the 3400 code for my needs.

-Eric

Yes I have tiny tuner. But the problem with having it is it doesn't do you any good unless you have a commented disassembly of the code/os you are working with. I actually have a definition file editor for tunercat obd2 so I can add tables and such just like anyone can with tiny tuner. But again, this does you no good unless you have a good commented disassembly for the OS you are working with. And finding those for obd2 applications is next to impossible.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 01-25-2014).]

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes I have tiny tuner. But the problem with having it is it doesn't do you any good unless you have a commented disassembly of the code/os you are working with. I actually have a definition file editor for tunercat obd2 so I can add tables and such just like anyone can with tiny tuner. But again, this does you no good unless you have a good commented disassembly for the OS you are working with. And finding those for obd2 applications is next to impossible.

or have lots of time on your hands.... LOL.

I've played around looking at a disassembly, and there's so much in there that you're right, there's no hope unless what you're modifying has a known location, which is why some of tiny tuner's features come in handy, because the "thingy" will give you table locations(of known tables).

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ericjon262

3082 posts
Member since Jan 2010

I bought a RR guts kit that I am going to install in a 3400 PCM (interchanges with the short*) it mainly just a matter of soldering on an install header. doesn't look too hard.

FWIW, here's a picture of the RR next to the flash chip it replaces. in a short*/3800/3x00 PCM

[This message has been edited by ericjon262 (edited 01-25-2014).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the record.... Not all of the tuning guys (I really dont know of many situations) are using commented disassembly... Most of the action on table creation was created from hacking raw assembly code. You can reference OBD codes pointing to memory (example "maf out of range P00000" to find the maf table)... You can search the raw file for the hex code for the p00000 then see where that looks to.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For the record.... Not all of the tuning guys (I really dont know of many situations) are using commented disassembly... Most of the action on table creation was created from hacking raw assembly code. You can reference OBD codes pointing to memory (example "maf out of range P00000" to find the maf table)... You can search the raw file for the hex code for the p00000 then see where that looks to.

That's the beginning of the disassembly process... A "commented disassembly" comes from following that thought process for EVERY piece of information in the calibration file.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Finding and defining trouble codes and making changes so you can either disable that specific code or change the conditions for which it will be triggered is one thing - and may I say, is a somewhat rather simple process compared to what the OP is talking about doing (ie: changing the OS to recognize a different type of crank sensor input and changing the ignition control output routine). Without a good commented disassembly, you aren't going to know where to look to change much of anything in the OS to make it do different things like recognize and work with a different type of crank sensor and ignition control system.

DH - you are always telling everyone how great of a tuner you are and how you "work in the programming industry" - so why don't YOU compile a nice commented disassembly for the OP to use to do what he needs to do to make his C.O.P. L67 dreams a reality?
conan469

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for conan469Click Here to visit conan469's HomePageSend a Private Message to conan469Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Finding and defining trouble codes and making changes so you can either disable that specific code or change the conditions for which it will be triggered is one thing - and may I say, is a somewhat rather simple process compared to what the OP is talking about doing (ie: changing the OS to recognize a different type of crank sensor input and changing the ignition control output routine). Without a good commented disassembly, you aren't going to know where to look to change much of anything in the OS to make it do different things like recognize and work with a different type of crank sensor and ignition control system.

DH - you are always telling everyone how great of a tuner you are and how you "work in the programming industry" - so why don't YOU compile a nice commented disassembly for the OP to use to do what he needs to do to make his C.O.P. L67 dreams a reality?

as the OP i can say this is beyond my knowledge and current ability, so I hope that ericjon262 can figure this out.
he seems to be doing the most work in that direction.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to keep working on it, I can't say I'll be keeping a thread of it here though, most of my efi related work is elsewhere.

picked up some light reading on the processor, hopefully it'll help me out a bit.

[This message has been edited by ericjon262 (edited 01-27-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For what? Nobody even knows what fires coils on this shortstar ecu and they want to go down some long path of figuring out how to disassemble the code... what if they dont use logic drivers???

I can bolt any 3800 pcm into any 3800 and do anything i want with access to 10 tables... having access to all these fancy things is just not that useful to people that even want it.... and the amount of people that want it is extremely small. In the time I get a functioning system figured out on a pcm.. I could have built and tuned 30 MS2 spark boxes that plug into ANY running GM obd2 3800 and run coil on plug. Having an elegant solution to spark will almost always create a very hacked solution with fuel as you will have to start from some random v8 tune with random tables... then have mystery transmission support...
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For what? Nobody even knows what fires coils on this shortstar ecu and they want to go down some long path of figuring out how to disassemble the code... what if they dont use logic drivers???

I am working the digging up how exactly the coils are triggered in the programming, I haven't gotten very far yet, but I also haven't put any real effort into it yet either. do you know how they are fired? care to enlighten me?

I can bolt any 3800 pcm into any 3800 and do anything i want with access to 10 tables... having access to all these fancy things is just not that useful to people that even want it.... and the amount of people that want it is extremely small. In the time I get a functioning system figured out on a pcm.. I could have built and tuned 30 MS2 spark boxes that plug into ANY running GM obd2 3800 and run coil on plug. Having an elegant solution to spark will almost always create a very hacked solution with fuel as you will have to start from some random v8 tune with random tables... then have mystery transmission support...

I don't think it would be as hacked as you think, and a well thought out and executed solution could be made. I'm also looking into more then just coil per cylinder. coil per cylinder is really a back burner project for some of the other things I would like to try and do.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think OP has stated plenty of times that it's not about the practical solution.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

I think OP has stated plenty of times that it's not about the practical solution.

lol, if it was all about the practical solution, we wouldn't be modding Fieros...
conan469

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for conan469Click Here to visit conan469's HomePageSend a Private Message to conan469Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
comparing information found on Mitchell1 Ondemand5...
not a direct quote, edited for space.
2001 aurora 3.5 icm misfire diagnostic steps

1-7 check for current failure problems and proper power and grounds to icm.

8. Turn ignition off. remove fuse number 1 (f/pmp) from rear fuse block. (rear fuse block is located underneath driver's side rear seat)
disconnect ICM connector for affected cylinder. set DVOM to AC hertz. measure frequency of affected cylinder while cranking engine.
if frequency is 2-20 Hz then go to step 19 if not go to next step.

9. Ensure igition is on. measure voltage between ground and affected ignition control circuit terminal at ICM harness connector.
if voltage is more than one volt go to step 18 if voltage is one volt or less go to next step.

step 10 - 17 check continuity and shorts from pcm to icm to ground

18. repair short to voltage.

19 - 21 checks for shorts to other icm driver circuits, shorted icm wires, for poor connections at icm

22. use icm tester (J 43298) while cranking to check for proper pcm signal. led flashes with proper signal.

Based on above steps it appears icm is controlled by a less than 1v ac signal.

I would believe this info to be true except...

2001 chevy silverado 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0

direct quote from Mitchell1 Ondemand5

"circuit description

The electronic ignition system uses an individual ignition coil for each cylinder.
the powertrain control module (PCM) controls the ignition operation through eight
individual ignition control (IC) circuits. each bank of four ignition coils is
connected to the PCM, power, or ground by the following circuits:
* low reference
* chassis ground
* ignition 1 voltage
* the appropriate IC circuit
the PCM triggers an ignition coil by grounding the appropriate IC circuit using
information from the crankshaft position (CKP) and camshaft position (CMP) sensors"

i thought all ls series coils were triggered by a +5v reference signal not a ground.
the megasquirt section on this says all are this way, just some have different pin numbers.
I wired up my coils per the instructions on megasquirts instructions, and they only fired when voltage was applied
to the IC pin, they did not fire when IC was grounded.

none of this seems to help the process, direct circuit testing and/or code translation will be the only way.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can neither confirm nor deny any info on it for you, I'm still in the process of building my test bench and learning the codework. all I've really done as of yet is work out many of the wiring diagrams.
conan469

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for conan469Click Here to visit conan469's HomePageSend a Private Message to conan469Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just wanted to post the written "info" i have
i will keep an eye out for vehicles to test, shortstars are kinda rare.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

just wanted to post the written "info" i have
i will keep an eye out for vehicles to test, shortstars are kinda rare.

the PCM's have a pretty wide interchange, then all you have to find is the programming. (I have the programming already)
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ericjon262

3082 posts
Member since Jan 2010
both LX5 and LSx wire up in a similar manner, but the LX5 uses some kind of ignition module, whereas the LSx coils appear to be directly triggered. this is not to say the LX5 signal isn't capable of trigger the LSx coils too, but for that we need more information.

LSx

LX5
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock