Powder Coat Chrome Wheels by ILVMYGT
Started on: 01-14-2014 10:48 PM
Replies: 17 (767 views)
Last post by: GodSend on 01-18-2014 11:20 AM
ILVMYGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking for a chrome wheel for my car. I have found a nice wheel that is "Chrome PVD." I turns out the Chrome PVD is a powder coat chrome. They said it was as bright/shiny as real chrome but more durable. Does anyone have experience with powder coat chrome?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I googled power coat chrome, and the pics look like chrome with the paint defect described as "orange peel".
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is PVD Chrome?

PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) Chrome was originally designed for the aerospace industry and has since become a highly popular finish in the automotive industry.

PVD Chrome is a powder coated process, first using a powder coating primer to protect the integrity of the part. After the powder coated process, the part enters our PVD Chamber where a mixture of metals are sputtered onto the part creating a chrome finish. The part is then coated with a high quality acrylic clear powder coat to protect the chrome finish.

Unlike traditional chrome platting, that pits and peel with normal wear and tear. PVD Chrome is a highly durable process that exceeds the life of chrome platting.

PVD Chrome plating is a 100% environmentally green process unlike tradition chrome plating. PVD wheels are 80% lighter than chrome plated wheels which leads to increased fuel economy
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sspeedstreet:

PVD wheels are 80% lighter than chrome plated wheels

That just isn't possible with only changing the coating process!
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

That just isn't possible with only changing the coating process!

there is a guy who was just on the news in the area who does this very sort of thing
probably a little different than layering on a primer, chrome coloring, and clear powdercoat, but im sure the results are just as nice.
he didn't go into detail while the local news was showcasing his business, but I have their site right here for anyone interested.

http://www.sprayonchrome.com/index2.html
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I powder coated my 3.4 oil pan chrome. It looks very nice and its very shiny but is not like regular chrome. I'd say it's more like polished aluminum. Of course it was one of the first things i ever coated and used cheep eBay PC but i like it.
Indy84Pace

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indy84PaceSend a Private Message to Indy84PaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have powder coated several items including tuned port injection units and Holley stealth rams. To me the chrome looks more like a polished aluminum but is very durible and wont rust
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL87:

there is a guy who was just on the news in the area who does this very sort of thing

I'm not questioning the ability for someone to spray a coating on a wheel that resembles chrome. I'm saying that it is impossible for the wheel to be 80% lighter if the only difference is the type of coating applied (ie. powder coated vs, chrome plated).
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

............PVD Chrome plating is a 100% environmentally green process unlike tradition chrome plating.

When this phrase is related to ANY item, avoid it. It usually means a shitty product that is "watered down" for the hippy idiots to feel better about themselves.

True chrome plating is designed to be a very tough finish if done correctly.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 01-15-2014).]

trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you read the way it is done, the chrome part is not powder coat. The part is powder coated with a primer, then the "chrome" is applied in a vacuum chamber like a fist surface mirror is done. Then a clear powder coat is applied to protect the delicate finish of the vacuum coated mirror layer. Larry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wonder if you can powder coat clear over real chrome.
PFF
System Bot
joeschuit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joeschuitSend a Private Message to joeschuitEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Being that chrome can be electrostaticaly charged, you would be able to powdercoat it. However, even powdercoat clears will dull the surface slightly, and the smooth surface won't allow the powder to "grip" the surface very well. I would think it would hold up better to chipping and peeling when compared to automotive clears.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not questioning the ability for someone to spray a coating on a wheel that resembles chrome. I'm saying that it is impossible for the wheel to be 80% lighter if the only difference is the type of coating applied (ie. powder coated vs, chrome plated).

I think they are deceiving everyone in a sense and are actually talking about the weight of the chrome coating compared to the weight of the powder coating. Not the weight of the rim. Gas mileage will theoretically be better but so miniscule it is irrelevant.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PVD wheels are 80% lighter than chrome plated wheels....

...it is impossible for the wheel to be 80% lighter if the only difference is the type of coating applied (ie. powder coated vs, chrome plated).

Some straightforward algebra shows that even if a PVD coating were absolutely weightless --- the claim that "PVD wheels are 80% lighter than chrome plated wheels" --- requires the weight of just the chrome plating itself to be four times greater than the weight of the wheel about to be chrome plated!

I'd like to see the exact wording used by the source for the comment in this thread by PFF member, sspeedstret, that "PVD wheels are 80% lighter than chrome plated wheels".
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I doubt they really apply Chrome, more likely it is Aluminum or Silver or some other metal that boils at a fairly low temperature. Here is a link to how the shiny part is put on a surface. Larry

Silvering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
80%, I call that "advertising math".
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe they meant the wheel weighs 80% of what a plated wheel is. Id still find that a bit much. Real chrome has a copper, nickle then chromium plating to be done right.

They do sell a spray can clear made for chrome wheels. Ive never used it though. If you want to just protect chrome wheels for winter driving, use clear Plastic-dip. It does stay on even in car washes, but it dims the chrome look. No kind of clear is completely 'clear'. Anything cleared will be different from the rest...even the 3M vinyl protector changes body part color a small amount.
GodSend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Maybe they meant the wheel weighs 80% of what a plated wheel is. Id still find that a bit much. Real chrome has a copper, nickle then chromium plating to be done right.

They do sell a spray can clear made for chrome wheels. Ive never used it though. If you want to just protect chrome wheels for winter driving, use clear Plastic-dip. It does stay on even in car washes, but it dims the chrome look. No kind of clear is completely 'clear'. Anything cleared will be different from the rest...even the 3M vinyl protector changes body part color a small amount.

What they PROBABLY mean is that the plating itself is 80% ligher. So if a 20 lb wheel weights 25 lbs after chrome plating, I guess they are suggesting that with this method the wheel would weigh 20.5 lbs? (a 0.5 increase instead of a 5.0 increase)?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock