Spring Rates 88 front by John Miller
Started on: 01-14-2014 05:35 PM
Replies: 6 (447 views)
Last post by: John Miller on 01-17-2014 03:23 PM
John Miller

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John MillerSend a Private Message to John MillerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm nearing completion on my Countach build and seen the front drivers side was starting to settle (more than the passinger side). I bought a set of Moog springs with a spring rate of 450lbs. Now I know the stock rate is around 205, I'v mounted the battery up front however the spare will ride in the trunk, so the weight difference will be small. What kind of ride should I expect from these springs? Keep in mind I want the front low and will have to cut the Moogs to acheive a proper ride height (I'm looking for about a 2" clearance between the tire and wheel well).
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by John Miller:

I bought a set of Moog springs with a spring rate of 450lbs. Now I know the stock rate is around 205... I want the front low and will have to cut the Moogs to acheive a proper ride height

I'm sure you're aware that the more coils you cut from those springs, the stiffer they're going to get.

John Miller

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John MillerSend a Private Message to John MillerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At this point it's an unknown until I get them in the pocket and let the car settle.
John Miller

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John MillerSend a Private Message to John MillerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anybody installed spring with this rate? If so how did the car ride? I'm just wondering if I should install them or send them back for a lower spring rate. Thanks, John
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see there hasn't been a lot of feedback yet so I'll take a stab at it. I don't have any experience with a front spring rate in a Fiero that high, though my first thought when I read your post was that it seemed way too high for a street car. That kind of spring rate won't allow the suspension to do it's job very well since it will only allow less than half as much travel for the same bump or roll compared to a stock car. It could also prove to be tough on mounts for everything like the hinges of your headlight pods, to the dash, and more importantly the fiberglass panels mounted to the front (likely highly modified) chassis. If you don't let the springs absorb the road shocks they'll be transferred to the chassis instead, and depending on the extent of the modifications, you could see a fair bit of flex. Over time, that flex could develop into stress cracks in the fiberglass too. Cutting them will make it worse since as already mentioned it will make them even stiffer.

If you Google "spring rate calculator" there are several on line programs that can help you determine a ball park spring rate given a few measurements. In your case where you're worried about bottoming out with your lowered body work, I'd take the results with a grain of salt. I think for my project, one program recommended a spring rate of 200 lb/in and I opted for 300 lb/in instead. If I were you, I'd consider something along that magnitude too.

Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a good thread with some information on 88 front springs. It looks like Steven Snyder is running much stiffer springs on a track car, but you may have trouble finding a damper that can match the high spring rates.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/126710.html

[This message has been edited by Silicoan86 (edited 01-17-2014).]

John Miller

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John MillerSend a Private Message to John MillerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blooz, thanks for the feedback.
Silicoan86, I've covered that thread along with 60 others. Since I've already cut both springs and installed one I own them and might as well give them a try.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock