Steering rack to steering column by 4thfiero
Started on: 01-14-2014 10:01 AM
Replies: 12 (521 views)
Last post by: Imnuts on 04-16-2014 04:10 PM
4thfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, if the steering rack shaft that goes into the steering column secured by that pinch bolt...if the shaft isnt FULLY inserted into the column...can that cause a feeling of stiffer steering? I replaced my bushing with rodney's bushing...i was told the new bushing will not cause increased steering effort. and the adjuster plug was not touched. Just had an alignment done...didnt help. not sure why my steering effort has increased.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It could possibly cause some binding. The shaft has a flat on one side for the pinch bolt to go through, the joint needs to slide up that far to be installed properly.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The intermediate column uses to pinch bolts, one at the rack the other at the top.
The pitch bolts can't be installed without fully engaging the column or the rack.

You replaced the passenger side bushing?
You still have problems inside of the rack, like a bent rack.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats interesting, i just twisted the jolt to make the tie rod ends look as close to even on each side as possible, then i stuck the jolt in the steering column, not sure WHERE the flat part WAS positioned when i installed the rack again, the pinch bolt just clamps that clamp down and pinches the jolt right? the bolt itself doesnt physically push up against the jolt right? just clamps the clamp around the jolt is my understanding.
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

4thfiero

815 posts
Member since Oct 2012

Originally posted by theogre:

The intermediate column uses to pinch bolts, one at the rack the other at the top.
The pitch bolts can't be installed without fully engaging the column or the rack.

You replaced the passenger side bushing?
You still have problems inside of the rack, like a bent rack.

I replaced the passanger side bushing yes, thats ALL i did, mechanic did it for me, but i took the rack out and put it back in the car, mechanic did the bushing. tie rods were all good and rack is good not bent. but when i put it back in the car, the steering effort increased a bit. And i only counted 1 pinch bolt...
Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are two places you can disconnect the rack from the column. That's why he said pinch bolts. Each place only has one bolt though. I just rebuilt my rack also. I also have increased steering effort, but I believe it is because all the new grease is making things sticky inside if that makes sense. I noticed the effort to turn it went up as I greased it. Also, to replace the bushing your mechanic had to remove the the nut that puts pressure on the rack and pinion. It could be adjusted wrong.
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
are u sure he would have had to adjust that? bcc i asked him and he said he didnt touch it, i had the plastic bushing, all he had to do was separate my inner tie rod from my outer tie rod, and then pulled the plastic bushing out and installed rodney's brass one in and reconnected the tie rods. Nothing else happened.
Silicoan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You cannot replace the bushing without disassembling the entire rack, which includes removing the adjuster plug. If he didn't do all of that, then he didn't replace the bushing.
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
....im very confused now.

He gave me the old bushing, showed me the new bushing inside the rack before clamping the boot back on...are we talking about the same bushing?

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-2-064744.html

This is what I did basically. This is the bushing i replaced, white plastic one. Doesnt say anything in here or in the instructions for rodney to rebuild and take apart the whole rack.
Big Paul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You didn't specify you had an 88. The bushing on that can be removed without taking the rack apart I believe. But I am going to stand by what I said earlier. I think the new grease is making it feel different.

There are notches for the pinch bolts. So for the bolts to be tightened, the column needs to be fully inserted.
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ic thanks very much
PFF
System Bot
Silicoan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 4thfiero:

....im very confused now.

He gave me the old bushing, showed me the new bushing inside the rack before clamping the boot back on...are we talking about the same bushing?

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-2-064744.html

This is what I did basically. This is the bushing i replaced, white plastic one. Doesnt say anything in here or in the instructions for rodney to rebuild and take apart the whole rack.

Ah yes, my bad, I was talking pre-88. Apparently 88s are much easier!
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just interested in finding out what solution you came up with. I was messing with the preload adjustment on my steering rack on my 88 and It made me think that if yours had been adjusted to compensate for the worn plastic bushing at some point. This could possibly cause increased resistance unless it is readjusted for the new brass bushing.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock