Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Don't ever buy a Northstar engined vehicle this is the worst engine of all time. (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Don't ever buy a Northstar engined vehicle this is the worst engine of all time. by Boogaloo
Started on: 01-12-2014 10:39 PM
Replies: 86 (4898 views)
Last post by: Reallybig on 01-18-2014 09:13 PM
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-14-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boogaloo:
What I am talking about is not going to the salvage yard to pick up a used engine to put in the family car after paying all that money for it only to have it happen before on the previous car,regardless who made the bolts the narrator said exactly what happened to me.Now I am paying for a CTSV for the next few years what a car now I am happy.

So you're pissed at GM because you bought scrap metal of unknown condition at a junk yard and installed it straight away without even looking at the internals?
IP: Logged
Boogaloo

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

So you're pissed at GM because you bought scrap metal of unknown condition at a junk yard and installed it straight away without even looking at the internals?

If you looked at my statement and try to understand before you Ignorantly posted a reply, the car was brand new out of the showroom and died at 93 k miles the dealer said it would be down for a month for repairs,extended warranty wrote te car off for salvage and ,got a newer model and 10 months the same thing happened to the Brougham why would I take a chance with a rebuilt engine when the new one wasn't good .

Lesson can't have the wife and kids stuck in the middle of night with a unreliable car I just got two northstar lemons this car CTS-V is awesome and don't mind paying for peace of mind.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-14-2014 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you looked at my statement and try to understand before you Ignorantly posted a reply, the car was brand new out of the showroom and died at 93 k miles the dealer said it would be down for a month for repairs,extended warranty wrote te car off for salvage and ,got a newer model and 10 months the same thing happened to the Brougham why would I take a chance with a rebuilt engine when the new one wasn't good .

Lesson can't have the wife and kids stuck in the middle of night with a unreliable car I just got two northstar lemons this car CTS-V is awesome and don't mind paying for peace of mind.

If you'd learn to write clearly and distinctly what you're trying to say exactly, rather than post ignorant strands of run-on sentences, maybe people would understand what you're trying to say, better. And the warranty company writing it off at 93K miles hardly makes it junk or a lemon.

Can't wait until you have problems with that CTS-V. There have been plenty of various problems with the LS engines over the last 17 years that they've been out.

If you're driving 93K miles in less than a year, it's no wonder the engine would have failed. I don't see how you'd even have time to do any scheduled maintenance on it.

I guess 2.8s are total junk too, since the one in my Fiero blew a head gasket after 95K miles.

Experience and facts are not the same thing.

Or maybe you should get a Benz instead:

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gosh Will what makes you think you are more smarter than a redneck? that is not cool,I am not a redneck but them NASCAR guys ain't too shabby so next time don't put your foot in your mouth.

yeah, but most of "them NASCAR guys" who "ain't too shabby" aren't your typical backwoods redneck. and Will is a pretty smart guy, he knows his stuff.

I'll go ahead and ask too, what does GM and everyone else use for headbolts in aluminum block engines?

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

Built not bought... Because bolt-ons don't.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dobey:

If you'd learn to write clearly and distinctly what you're trying to say exactly, rather than post ignorant strands of run-on sentences, maybe people would understand what you're trying to say, better. And the warranty company writing it off at 93K miles hardly makes it junk or a lemon.

Can't wait until you have problems with that CTS-V. There have been plenty of various problems with the LS engines over the last 17 years that they've been out.

If you're driving 93K miles in less than a year, it's no wonder the engine would have failed. I don't see how you'd even have time to do any scheduled maintenance on it.

I guess 2.8s are total junk too, since the one in my Fiero blew a head gasket after 95K miles.

Experience and facts are not the same thing.

Or maybe you should get a Benz instead:

I see you have eye problems or you can barely read to comprehend,93k miles was not in a year's driving but a few years when you purchase a new not sedond hand there is the warranty from the nakers then the dealer sells you an extended one also fo howeverlong you are willing to pay for it.The car would be down for a month some one has to pay for the in convienience a brand new motor 0 miles, rental car plus labor so it is cheaper to give me a car of value which they did.Oil changed every month per new service agreement of the dealer still 11 months later same problem.

Don't worry about the CTS-V it has extended warranty and for that kinda money I could buy a used Benz, no more used car for me learned my lesson
btw how is your Honda running.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lol, this thread makes me giggle.

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

Built not bought... Because bolt-ons don't.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hot rodding is all well and good when you have a project car but having to $4000+ to replace it show me the fun doing so.

This is a Fiero forum. *EVERY* Northstar on this forum is a hot rod. My engine is hand built with 11.5:1 compression and pushes 312 HP to the wheels with stock heads, cams and manifolds.

Gosh Will what makes you think you are more smarter than a redneck? that is not cool,I am not a redneck but them NASCAR guys ain't too shabby so next time don't put your foot in your mouth.

Only someone with something against rednecks would think that "ignorant rednecks" means "all rednecks". I know quite a few sharp guys who talk with a drawl.

So... you had a Northstar fail (assuming head gasket) at 93K. That's hardly unusual. Did you own this car since new? Did you do the annual coolant flushes?

You traded that one in on a second Caddy... how many miles were on that one when you received it? Did you do the annual coolant flushes on that one? Did all the previous owners do coolant flushes?

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 01-15-2014).]

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

all I can say is if this was the worst engine of all time - how come general motors stuck with it for 19 years? and before anybody get tetchy the narrator in the you tube video within the first 30 seconds points out that " it is the 2nd worst engine IN HIS OPINION "

its like marmite (if you have it in the states) some people like it and some people don't

jon
Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Only someone with something against rednecks would think that "ignorant rednecks" means "all rednecks". I know quite a few sharp guys who talk with a drawl.

So... you had a Northstar fail (assuming head gasket) at 93K. That's hardly unusual. Did you own this car since new? Did you do the annual coolant flushes?

You traded that one in on a second Caddy... how many miles were on that one when you received it? Did you do the annual coolant flushes on that one? Did all the previous owners do coolant flushes?

Will there is nothing personal against anyone but apparentely it is not getting through to some ,we are talking a Northstar powered cars that had the same severe engine failures within a few years. The first car was almost $31,000 with financing and was brand new with extended warranty from the biggest Cadillac dealership in Florida ,,,,,it died after 93K miles,the contract called for a new replacement crate engine that was not readily available and would be amonth or more to finish the job and a rental car that they considered too much so they totalled the car.Now they made an offer to give me a loaded Brougham with one owner that checked out okay and ran great for 11 months then started to overheat and coolant spewing out of the tailpipe,AAA picvked it up and dropped it off that is when I called it a day.

Am I suppose to say they are good after all this,who cares about what bolts are to be used on what block and yearly flushes give me abreak ,the shop manager who I got to know said they have this reputation and my cars were no different than the many they take in from time to time.My Fiero is a 3.8sc with 81k miles and runs awesome and just happy with even stock will put a hot rod Fiero northstar car to utter shame and is almost fast as my CTS-V.

Edited for typo.

[This message has been edited by Boogaloo (edited 01-15-2014).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yearly flushes give me abreak

Yep, that's what happens. Avoid the coolant flushes and they break.

You still didn't say how many miles were on your Brougham when it came into your possession.

If you read that long thing I wrote, you'll find that I did say that the problem is a design flaw and they should have fixed it LONG before they actually did.

LOTS of mass-produced products have flaws. If they didn't have any flaws, they'd be too expensive to be competitive in the market.

Are Ferraris junk because they need frequent timing belt replacements?

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 01-15-2014).]

bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All I know is that when someone says something is the 'worst something of all time', they're usually wrong. Just because someone had a bad experience doesn't make it the worst something ever.
PFF
System Bot
Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will the Brougham was a trade in on a new car and it was subjected the 100 point check ,the mileage was in the vicinity of 122k when I got this new car,if the car was abused i'd say it was on me but when I see grandma 80's box Caprice still going with almost 250k miles with original quadrajet carb tranny failed once and I have gone through two new cars she said "get your self a car with an american motor".

If any of you guys suffered like I did you would say the same thing but once bitten twice shy my northstar days are over don't even want to hear that name.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2014 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If any of you guys suffered like I did you would say the same thing but once bitten twice shy my northstar days are over don't even want to hear that name.

Go whine to the millions of people who can't even afford a car, let alone a brand new Cadillac.

Just because the car wasn't maintained as was needed for the particular vehicle, and it subsequently failed, does not make the entire product line junk, nor does it make your experience of having it fail on you, a statement of fact about the quality of the product. It just means you poorly maintained the car.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread made me LOL.

If you think the NorthStar is the worst engine of all time, you're really spoiled. Try a Vega with the aluminum-block 4-cyl (if there are any left, that is), and you'll get a reality check.

Oh, and just for kicks, here's an article featuring some of the worst engines of all time: http://www.popularhotroddin..._automobile_engines/

And here's a list of some of the best: http://wardsauto.com/news-a...engines-20th-century

Interestingly enough, the NorthStar is on the "Best" list.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 01-15-2014).]

Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Go whine to the millions of people who can't even afford a car, let alone a brand new Cadillac.

Just because the car wasn't maintained as was needed for the particular vehicle, and it subsequently failed, does not make the entire product line junk, nor does it make your experience of having it fail on you, a statement of fact about the quality of the product. It just means you poorly maintained the car.

Why would I pay that kind of money for a car and can't afford $49.95 for an oil change, the CTS-V is almost $62,000 and has free oil changes for the next 3 years from the dealer and has manufacturers and extended warrantry,If you work hard all your life a good reliable vehicle is your desire not a piece of junk that you have to drive in the right lane to pull off to the side of the road like those other cars did.

I have owned all kinds of cars and trucks Ford,Chevys,Dodge Toyota's but neve that kind of identical failure even my1974 2.3 Pinto motor lasted longer so no matter what you will say in stock form it is Junk.

The Vega and the Northstar were just about the same but life span was a little better on the stock Northstar.

Edited for Vega comment.

[This message has been edited by Boogaloo (edited 01-15-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

This thread made me LOL.

If you think the NorthStar is the worst engine of all time, you're really spoiled. Try a Vega with the aluminum-block 4-cyl (if there are any left, that is), and you'll get a reality check.

Oh, and just for kicks, here's an article featuring some of the worst engines of all time: http://www.popularhotroddin..._automobile_engines/

And here's a list of some of the best: http://wardsauto.com/news-a...engines-20th-century

Interestingly enough, the NorthStar is on the "Best" list.

If you really want to see some of the worst engines of all time, go spend some time watching videos in the "free energy" corner of YouTube.
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Slow down there I had a 1973 Vega FASTBACK when I was in college. Ok so it burned a quart of oil every 300 miles, it was orange (hence the name I gave it Orange Crate) it was a nice looking car, but as it turned out GM didn't have the aluminum engine quite figured out back then. too bad it didn't have the cosworth engine. I think almost universally those engines had to be rebuilt.

I had a pinto too. much better car. Opel GT, Fiat 124. All the classic that are faded into the sunset. now if I could just have that 1966 mustang back.

[This message has been edited by Grantman (edited 01-15-2014).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not knocking the Vega itself, just the boat anchor in the engine bay.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2014 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not knocking the Vega itself, just the boat anchor in the engine bay.

The Vega is a great car waiting for an LS swap.
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Vega is a great car waiting for an LS swap.

I put a junkyard pull 327 in mine when the original 4cyl engine blew up and it ran extremely well until I sold it.

The worst engine? Pinto. My Dad's Pinto epitomized the term, "Fix or Repair Daily." Ford makes good products but not my Dad's Pinto.

Edit: The best engine I ever saw was in a German Opel. I routinely drove in excess of 120mph (200kph) to and from work. Smooth as silk. Too bad we couldn't bring it back.

[This message has been edited by starlightcoupe (edited 01-15-2014).]

Ravant

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Correlation != Causation, I know, but throwing my $0.02 in here.

2000 Cadillac Eldorado ETC: Grandfather owned it from new, put 30,000 highway miles on it before he passed and left it to me. I put 110,000 on it, for a total of 140,000 miles. Did all the standard maintenance, had to replace the ECU once at 48,xxx miles for some weird reason. Threw a bunch of codes at random without any mechanical issues cropping up supporting the codes. Cadillac replaced it under warranty without so much a hiccup. Codes gone. Driver's side power window motor died during my honeymoon. (Wife's a car gal, we both love road-tripping when we can.) Wasn't under warranty. $450 replacement. Never once did I have a gasket problem, a head bolt problem, hell a mechanical problem to speak of. And honestly? I genuinely regret trading that car in for the 2011 Sonata Turbo I did. I shouldn't have done it. At all.

The most comfortable, smoothest-running, smoothest-shifting car I've ever owned. If I could find another, used, with under 70k miles for under 10k, I would buy it over anything else in a heartbeat as my daily driver.
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wonderful automobile!
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...My Fiero is a 3.8sc with 81k miles and runs awesome and just happy with even stock will put a hot rod Fiero northstar car to utter shame and is almost fast as my CTS-V.

Anywho, I'm gonna go ahead and introduce you to the punctuation mark called the period. It's located just to the right of the comma. I imagine there might be a bit less confusion in this thread if you were to use it a bit more.

Oh, and for the record, I call troll.

AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Grantman:
Fiat 124

I have about 8 of these just sitting here... XD

I love the Ferrari engineer who came to design this I4.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In before trash... jk but seriously.
Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fastblack:

Anywho, I'm gonna go ahead and introduce you to the punctuation mark called the period. It's located just to the right of the comma. I imagine there might be a bit less confusion in this thread if you were to use it a bit more.

Oh, and for the record, I call troll.

Regardless of that don't tell me my motors were great, I got 2 engine failures with the same problem so it must be a "DIAMOND".Stating my experiences with these motor and my opinion has nothing to do with trolling and punctuation,the Cadillac was an awesome car but FOR ME that motor was junk.Experiene teaches wisdom , would I buy another ? hell no not even for free and if asked by some oneif they should buy one I will tell them of my experiences with mine.

Drove my 85 Fiero in 2009 to get some gas at the station it never started again with several mechanics tried to start it with no luck ,so I took the 2.8 out and trashed it and now have really low mileage 3800sc motor in it with no problem whatsoever.Fiddling with the 2.8 wasn't worth my time try and fix it up sorry.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2014 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Drove my 85 Fiero in 2009 to get some gas at the station it never started again with several mechanics tried to start it with no luck ,so I took the 2.8 out and trashed it and now have really low mileage 3800sc motor in it with no problem whatsoever.Fiddling with the 2.8 wasn't worth my time try and fix it up sorry.

LOL. So you swapped it because what was probably a $15 ICM and 10 minutes with a screwdriver, was too much hassle?

You're an idiot.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[B] (snip)

My Fiero is a 3.8sc with 81k miles and runs awesome and just happy with even stock will put a hot rod Fiero northstar car to utter shame and is almost fast as my CTS-V.

I think your butt dyno needs recalibrated and you need to take a ride in a properly set up N* swapped Fiero.

And dobey may be on to something.........

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 01-16-2014).]

Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LOL. So you swapped it because what was probably a $15 ICM and 10 minutes with a screwdriver, was too much hassle?

You're an idiot.

Now this has become personal with you calling me an idiot because of what I think, but guess what you don't know me other than posting on the forum and I leave it at that, as for the Northstar swapped Fiero I have driven a well prepped one of a friend, Archie prepped sbc install all great in their own rights but went for the 3800 series 3 that has since then been done up with all new internals.Some people drive what they can afford and like and this was my choice ....see you love Honda's I don't still not knocking you or calling you an idiot for your choice .

[This message has been edited by Boogaloo (edited 01-16-2014).]

n7vrz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't this thread belong in the Joke section?????
(Oh, wait, there isn't one.)
Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At this point in time yes it does,Cliff I got my point across by telling my trial and tribulations with that engine, maybe only my two was bad but as usual most are afraid to talk up for themselves and agree even if the subject is wrong or try to supress free speech on this publio forum,in the trash can with this.
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2014 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

see you love Honda's I don't still not knocking you or calling you an idiot for your choice .

Setting my avatar to the Honda logo as a joke because this is a Fiero forum, doesn't mean I love Hondas at all. I'm not even on any Honda forums.

I didn't call you an idiot because you think the Northstar is junk. I called you an idiot because you turned a $15 maintenance fix for a stock Fiero into a $1000+ engine swap, and you're acting like an idiot.

I guess the 3800 is junk too with all the coolant leak issues they had with the intake manifold.
sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Setting my avatar to the Honda logo as a joke because this is a Fiero forum, doesn't mean I love Hondas at all. I'm not even on any Honda forums.

I didn't call you an idiot because you think the Northstar is junk. I called you an idiot because you turned a $15 maintenance fix for a stock Fiero into a $1000+ engine swap, and you're acting like an idiot.

I guess the 3800 is junk too with all the coolant leak issues they had with the intake manifold.

Or the engineers who designed them to use composite gaskets are idiots? LOL

Ang84Indy

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ang84IndySend a Private Message to Ang84IndyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jon m:

its like marmite (if you have it in the states) some people like it and some people don't

jon

Jon, we don't have Marmite here, at least not on regular store shelves. One might find it at a store that carries international products. I checked Wikipedia, they say that we have a similar product available, by the name of Vegex, but I have never seen or heard of it. After reading up on it, I'd like to try Marmite.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2014 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ang84Indy:

Jon, we don't have Marmite here, at least not on regular store shelves. One might find it at a store that carries international products. I checked Wikipedia, they say that we have a similar product available, by the name of Vegex, but I have never seen or heard of it. After reading up on it, I'd like to try Marmite.

Kroger probably has it, near the Nutella, in the international aisle.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Regardless of that don't tell me my motors were great, I got 2 engine failures with the same problem so it must be a "DIAMOND".Stating my experiences with these motor and my opinion has nothing to do with trolling and punctuation,the Cadillac was an awesome car but FOR ME that motor was junk.Experiene teaches wisdom , would I buy another ? hell no not even for free and if asked by some oneif they should buy one I will tell them of my experiences with mine.

You opinion has nothing to do with trolling or punctuation. Reading run-on sentences is a pain in the rear and bashing a motor that is frequently used in Fiero swaps is a bit troll-ish.

It does sound like your motors were junk, but I think things got a bit carried away. I understand your frustration, I had to replace the water pump in my Grand Am and because of that will never buy a car with a 2.4 in it again (just Google that process and you'll understand). That, however, does not mean that is is "the worst engine of all time". The Northstar in my Bonneville is running great as previously stated but it is also about 10 years newer than the ones you had experience with. Maybe we all need to calm down, eh?

I do stand by my BS call on a stock 3800 SC Fiero handing a built N* Fiero its a$$ and also being dang near as fast as a CTS-V, that's just dumb.

[This message has been edited by fastblack (edited 01-16-2014).]

Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fastblack:

I do stand by my BS call on a stock 3800 SC Fiero handing a built N* Fiero its a$$ and also being dang near as fast as a CTS-V, that's just dumb.

I don't want to open a can of worms but according to the 1/4 mile list I am yet to see a N* running any good time even Will exceptional built motor as for the CTS-V I will take that back as the CTS-v tops out at 191mph documented.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't want to open a can of worms but according to the 1/4 mile list I am yet to see a N* running any good time even Will exceptional built motor as for the CTS-V I will take that back as the CTS-v tops out at 191mph documented.

So your stock 3800 SC rolls through the traps in the 1/4 at 120 MPH? LOL. Good one.

I notice your name isn't on that 1/4 mile list. How about you go take it to the track this weekend and get some actual times then if you want to compare how fast your car is to those N* cars?

My guess is you'll run high 13's and trap around 95 MPH, assuming you even know how to launch the car and drive it down a drag strip. If you're lucky. You'd probably actually be closer to mid 14's and 90 MPH. That'd put you 1.5 seconds behind Will's time, and 12 MPH under his trap speed.
Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So your stock 3800 SC rolls through the traps in the 1/4 at 120 MPH? LOL. Good one.

I notice your name isn't on that 1/4 mile list. How about you go take it to the track this weekend and get some actual times then if you want to compare how fast your car is to those N* cars?

My guess is you'll run high 13's and trap around 95 MPH, assuming you even know how to launch the car and drive it down a drag strip. If you're lucky. You'd probably actually be closer to mid 14's and 90 MPH. That'd put you 1.5 seconds behind Will's time, and 12 MPH under his trap speed.

You are in for the biggest surprise of your life so I won't even go there, my drag racing days are over and have nothing to prove by giving out ## and HP at the wheel how ever with the new turbo setup I am even more satisfied.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will the Brougham was a trade in on a new car and it was subjected the 100 point check ,the mileage was in the vicinity of 122k when

Obviously the 100 point check doesn't look at head bolt threads.
If it was at 122k without coolant flushes, you got a grenade with the pin half pulled.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock