Distributor and injector question by LornesGT
Started on: 01-12-2014 06:13 PM
Replies: 7 (178 views)
Last post by: LornesGT on 01-13-2014 06:41 PM
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Started cleaning up stuff today and started with the distributor the interior coil was so bad I am suprized the motor runs. I have one so I changed it but the rod when pulled thru the housing did not want to come out, quite a bit of rust. Looks to me like oil is pump thru to lube the shaft. This washer/ looking mechanism fell out before I notice it's position. I done think it critical as in any position the locking will work. Doesn't look like much oil can get around it and up the shaft.

The fins on the distributor for lack of knowing what to call them do what? When they all rusty like these are will cleaning them help or increasing the gap to the rotor that turns inside them create more problems?

How do the clips come off the injectors?

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 01-12-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NW-Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well there are 6 fins for a v-6 they trip the magnet interface to make the spark at the coil. Rust is not a barrier, just an indicator that moisture is present. You must remove fuel rail. The injectors have a small metal locking piece (retainer) that must be turned to unlock from grove in fuel rail. Then they are pulled out with resistance since an O-Ring provides a seal.

------------------
Mark
In the Great Northwest!

[This message has been edited by NW-Fiero (edited 01-12-2014).]

LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info. What do you mean by turned? Maybe after I get the fuel rail out it will be easier to see. All this to change valve cover gaskets. Makes the Pacifica I rebuilt look like childs play and that wasn't an easy job.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to put the washers back just as they were, the flat washer goes against the bottom of the gear. Now, look at the washer with the 3 tangs. You'll notice 2 are closer together. Look up inside the distributor gear and on the side of the ribs, you an see where they made contact. Put them together so that the tangs match the rub marks on the inside of the gear. When I reassemble my distributors, I rub the shaft with a good coating of disk brake slider grease. Syl-Glyde or SilGlide. Don't remember how it's spelled, but either way it's pronounced the same. PB Blaster will break the oil varnish for dis-assembly.

The rust inside the distributor isn't caused just by moisture. The major factor is the corrosive ozone that's created by the spark between the rotor button tip and the contacts on the distributor cap. Any time an electric arc passes through air, it creates ozone.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks fool! I placed a piece of paper towel into the passage way and I struggled to get it out. I have been spraying that with the PB as well. I wish I didn't travel thru the week so I could have this puppy ready this spring. I should have just dropped the engine to do all the cleaning and gasket replacement I want to do.

Luckly my wife is planning for my sons wedding next year so I don't have to feel guilty about working on it while see is busy on the weekends as well!

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 01-12-2014).]

LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LornesGT

1356 posts
Member since Jan 2013

Originally posted by NW-Fiero:

Well there are 6 fins for a v-6 they trip the magnet interface to make the spark at the coil. Rust is not a barrier, just an indicator that moisture is present. You must remove fuel rail. The injectors have a small metal locking piece (retainer) that must be turned to unlock from grove in fuel rail. Then they are pulled out with resistance since an O-Ring provides a seal.

Sorry reread your post, I was referring to the wiring harness clip to injector.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I'm understanding you, you have some paper towel lodged in the passage where the shaft goes up through the housing? You can get it out with a few simple steps. First, you need to neutralize the PB Blaster. Mix a strong solution of liquid dish wash and water and submerge the housing up to the base plate. Let it sit for about a day. Next, after rinsing it with hot water and you can pour isopropyl alcohol into the housing to absorb the water. Pour the alcohol out and let it dry. Once that's done, pour some household bleach inside. That will eat the paper towel. When it's dissolved, you can lube the inside of the housing or the shaft and reassemble the distributor.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I got it out. The is still a bit of a drag of the rod thru the shaft so I probably need to keep it soaking so I can clean the race way better. Probably need a coarse brush to run thru it after it soaks. Any help on the clips for the connector on the injectors. I figure they are harder to come by so I I am a little lyre of pulling and prying. After 28 years of running I am afraid of brittle wires anyway. I really have a great car as far as rust goes, this thing looks spotless.

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 01-13-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock