2.5 versus 2.8 by newfiejeff
Started on: 01-12-2014 03:34 PM
Replies: 15 (534 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 01-15-2014 08:56 AM
newfiejeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 2m4 5 speed

Hi, just wondering how big of a difference is the 2.5 over the 2.8?
I may have a chance of getting a 2.8 with a 4 speed manual transmission this spring, how much is entailed by the swap?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure you'll hear a lot on this one. Although most will likely say the 2.8 is miles ahead of the 2.5 is just about every way except gas mileage, if you're going to the effort of doing a swap you're probably better off going for a bigger improvement that you'll get going to the at best 140 HP you'll get out of a stock 2.8. Might want to look at going to a 3.4 at least.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:
Might want to look at going to a 3.4 at least.

A friend (to say helped is an understatement) me convert my Fiero from a 2.5 to a 3.4L, as well as auto to manual. While your in there, you may as well get the most out of it, especially what, for a few hundred bucks extra? How to say how much went into it? Wiring harness, ECM (to match Engine & Transmission), exhaust, intake tube. Pretty much everything in the engine compartment, along with the requirements that feed those items.

The difference? I used to enjoy driving my Fiero. Now I ware a grin from ear to ear every time I shift through the gears.

[This message has been edited by no2pencil (edited 01-13-2014).]

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a lot of parts that have to be swapped other than just the engines. Be sure you have access to both vehicles until you have your car up and running again. If all the parts are available from the same donor car, go for it. If they are only offering the engine and trans, forcing you to find all the other parts, step away.

Jonathan
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, that is about it. I can get a 2.8 and 4 speed transmission for $300 with about 90,000 miles on it. I just didn't know how much extras that I would need.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have a complete parts list but you would need:

Throttle cable
shifter cables
cruise control cable
three motor mounts plus dog bone
air filter hose (snorkel)
air filter canister (I think)
Some coolant hose differences
The ECM
the trunk blower, two metal tubes, one plastic tube
wiring harness for the new engine and it will be transmission specific

Prolly other stuff too. Some of this stuff you could live without like the trunk blower but I would want it. I think you could find all that stuff in the forum Mall but by the time you buy each part individually, the cost of your swap will be way off budget. It would be better to buy a $500 wreck that runs and pull everything from it.

Jonathan
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 2.8 is a decent little engine somewhat compromised by mediocre flow in the heads as well as some short sighted calls on the factories part (how much would it have cost them to run a bit through the exhaust ports and add a free 8 BHP after all?).

The 2.5 is a steaming turd of an engine that should never be used for anything other than a boat anchor.

Hope that helps.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really wish there was a forum for us that own the Fiero 2.5 and actually like it so we wouldn't have to read ignorant comments. Not everyone wants to cram a big engine into their Fiero. The 2M4 is a fun to drive car that still gets decent mileage and doesn't require bigger brakes, a cooling fan in the engine compartment, a bigger radiator and all the other changes necessary when putting an engine in the car that it wasn't designed for.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

I really wish there was a forum for us that own the Fiero 2.5 and actually like it so we wouldn't have to read ignorant comments.

There is a forum... this one.

Don't let the "ignorant" comments get to you, whether they're about the duke or whatever. Be proud of what you have or where you're from or who you are.

I've quite enjoyed my 5-spd '84 duke the last four years, and I can only hope the '88 Formula that'll be taking its place will handle nearly as well at autocross.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On all these notes I am keeping the iron duke!!!!

Be proud...lol!!!!
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Allright!!! The duke is good!!
bobace455

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bobace455Send a Private Message to bobace455Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just my opinions -

Reasons I am keeping my Duke in my 1986 -

Runs like a top
(both the 4 and 6 are easy, but) it is super easy to work on
38.8 mpg last weekend on a road trip
Popular engine to find parts for
The rest of my Fiero (due to under body rust) could not handle too much more power
With no CAT and an updated coil it feels like it gets up and goes! (although it is slower than it feels)

Reasons to swap out the Duke -

More power
V6 sound

Now, If the rest of the car was in better shape, a 2.8 swap may be on the radar. But I don't think it is worth the swap to a 2.8. Now a 3.4 as mentioned above may be better.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

I really wish there was a forum for us that own the Fiero 2.5 and actually like it so we wouldn't have to read ignorant comments. Not everyone wants to cram a big engine into their Fiero. The 2M4 is a fun to drive car that still gets decent mileage and doesn't require bigger brakes, a cooling fan in the engine compartment, a bigger radiator and all the other changes necessary when putting an engine in the car that it wasn't designed for.

I'm with ya, I will say this is the best forum though, anywhere

The 3 Dukes I've had ran great and were always reliable. One to over 300k miles and one to 245k miles, then I sold the cars...my current one only has 50k on it.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-15-2014).]

newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suppose it's like the old Chevette's you couldn't kill them!!!
Haha

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newfiejeff:

I suppose it's like the old Chevette's you couldn't kill them!!!
Haha

Thats whay they call them Iron Duke.

But yeah HP per ton.. you arent going to be able to argue that the 2.5 with about 92 hp is going to perform against the 2.8 with 140 hp, I believe both engines way approximately 350 lbs as well...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock