Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Why is there not many people doing f-body dual piston caliper upgrade??? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Why is there not many people doing f-body dual piston caliper upgrade??? by jonathan2014
Started on: 01-12-2014 12:45 AM
Replies: 45 (2618 views)
Last post by: RobertGT on 01-16-2014 03:13 PM
jonathan2014

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jonathan2014Send a Private Message to jonathan2014Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it just me, because it seems like the most cost effective swap there is right now, for the front and all years, that is. I mean it is aluminum and dual piston! Am I missing some thing?
Because, there is like, none info on this, that I can fine. So any info on this would help, a lot thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd love to see ceramic rotors to reduce rotating mass... Fiero calipers are already aluminum, iirc...
I'm using 4 piston Wilwood calipers on my RAYNE/HELD/WESTSHORE/ARRAUT braking system... Not everyone will feel the results justify the price-tag.

I'm "only using the 12" kit" where as a lot of people here will convince you that 13+" is the way to go. Let me tell you that my 12" kit will stop in a dime and hand you back change and if I had to do it all over again, I'd go the 11.25" route which is plenty good for a small car like a Fiero.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I rebuilt my car from the ground up stock. Never had a single brake problem in 100K/ 7years. I really dont get why people want to change them. My stock ones stopped me fine from 150mph. Sometimes 'upgrades' are not worth the effort for anything you get and the hastles you have making them work. It already has 4 wheels discs...better than most cars. I might have considered it if I seriously roadraced like in SCCA with it.
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the stock Fiero brakes are only really inadequate for track use, since they are solid discs. I think they would overheat in short order.
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3 problems with Fiero brakes:

1. The parking brake design is unbelievably bad. Simply awful and never should have seen the light of day.

2. They look tiny behind modern wheels.

3. (88 only) Parts are getting hard to find and expensive.

Having said that, I still have the stock brakes on mine, but have all of the parts for the LeBaron swap. Just haven't made it that far...

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Folks:

Maybe something like this: Porsche Brembo calipers and 13" Viper (rear) rotors.

WCF made the brackets. The Wilwood E-brake does not work well and WCF is working on a new E-brake. Here is a link to the entire kit: http://www.westcoastfiero.c...rakes/brakes_13.html

Regards,

David

------------------
1987 Fiero GT - 2006 3800 Series III Drive by Wire; Ported & Polished by TrippleEdge; 1.7 Yella Terra Full Roller Rockers; VS Cam; 3.1" Pulley; Tuning by Darth; WCF CAI & 1 5/8 Stainless Headers; 3" Exhaust; Semi-Built 4T65HD; Power Steering & Much More; MSD Coils & Wires; Porsche (Brembo) Calipers on 13" Viper Rotors; 18X8 TSW Indy Wheels; Paint by Phoenix Auto in California City.

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jonathan2014:

Is it just me, because it seems like the most cost effective swap there is right now, for the front and all years, that is. I mean it is aluminum and dual piston! Am I missing some thing?
Because, there is like, none info on this, that I can fine. So any info on this would help, a lot thanks.

A lot of people choose the Grand Am brake upgrade... the reason being is because for $20 dollars more than the cost of stock components, you can have this (below), which is really more than enough for an otherwise mostly stock car that still has a V6/60 in it.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brakes are a system and everything needs to work together properly to maintain good brake bias and a parking brake function.

The Fiero brake system was designed around using the same piston area front/rear and bias coming from the combination valve. They also had the parking brake built into the rear calipers.

Almost all the later model camaros/corvettes were designed with larger caliper piston area in front and smaller in the rear to dial in the majority of their bias. So even if they would fit front/rear you can't use the full set w/o swapping out combination valves and even then you might not end up with the same (or even similar) bias as stock fiero.

The Camaro front calipers also have a larger piston area than the Fiero so you will likely need to swap master cylinders to assist with the larger volume flow to move the pistons in front, but the larger master cylinder will lower rear caliper clamp pressure and this will become an issue if you don't increase the area of the rear caliper piston. The larger master means for the same pedal pressure, there will be lower line pressure to the calipers. Since the rear caliper remained the same size, the lower line pressure will result in less clamp load at the rear caliper for the same pedal pressure. So the upgrade could potentially increase front braking while reducing rear braking if not done properly.

Most people who have installed the LS1 dual piston calipers, have only done so on the front and haven't yet figured out a matching rear caliper solution with the right piston area and a working parking brake system.

I don't see the dual piston calipers upgrades becoming more popular until a solution for the complete system has been created that results in proper brake bias and a working parking brake setup.
jonathan2014

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jonathan2014Send a Private Message to jonathan2014Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The reason, I don't want to do the grand am swap, is I don't like the u have to mill down the hub. but I don't care about cutting off the disk. I need/want the e-brake I have no problem switching master cylinder or anything for that matter I was thinking lebaron swap for the rear how much size difference between the lebaron and the rear caliper on the f-body.

[This message has been edited by jonathan2014 (edited 01-12-2014).]

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I rebuilt my car from the ground up stock. Never had a single brake problem in 100K/ 7years. I really dont get why people want to change them. My stock ones stopped me fine from 150mph. Sometimes 'upgrades' are not worth the effort for anything you get and the hastles you have making them work. It already has 4 wheels discs...better than most cars. I might have considered it if I seriously roadraced like in SCCA with it.

Putting on my boots..getting deep in here..
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the dual piston Corvette brakes up front and I make brackets for them. I'm using the rear lebaron swap (caddy calipers) to maintain the ebrake and the bias feels fine. I had done some math on the piston size, rotor diameter, etc and it obviously wasn't the same front/rear bias as stock but I believe it was a few percent off. I figured I'd try and it's worked out well for me. I also have the upgraded MC from the blazer. The whole feel is much better than stock and there is absolutely no fade. The front Corvette rotors are vented and are THICK.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Yes it is. All these people putting on entirely new brake systems to look pretty. Just paint the stock ones. If I remember right, late 86 went to vented rotors and done away with the solid ones. Mine had solids. They were plenty good enough for a whole day of thrashing around back roads. My airplane has 2 disc brakes about 6-8 inches in diameter and I can stop fast enough to hit the prop on the ground.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 01-13-2014).]

TriumphFetish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TriumphFetishSend a Private Message to TriumphFetishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 87 still has solid rotors. When I priced the brakes it was cheaper to go to grand am brakes. My parking brake doesn't work now so I won't miss much. :-)
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All 88s had vented rotors... no 84-87 Fieros came stock with vented rotors.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In 88 they went to 10.25" vs. 9.75" of prior years ontop of being vented...
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive never used an emergency brake so having them is a moot point. Just leave a stick in gear, auto in park.
jonathan2014

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jonathan2014Send a Private Message to jonathan2014Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

I have the dual piston Corvette brakes up front and I make brackets for them. I'm using the rear lebaron swap (caddy calipers) to maintain the ebrake and the bias feels fine. I had done some math on the piston size, rotor diameter, etc and it obviously wasn't the same front/rear bias as stock but I believe it was a few percent off. I figured I'd try and it's worked out well for me. I also have the upgraded MC from the blazer. The whole feel is much better than stock and there is absolutely no fade. The front Corvette rotors are vented and are THICK.

Do you have any links or pictures for what I understand the f-body have bigger pistons than the corvette which, sound like a good thing to me.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

If Roger is talking about 88 brakes, I get it....they are really good when maintained.
fireboss

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My airplane has 2 disc brakes about 6-8 inches in diameter and I can stop fast enough to hit the prop on the ground.

Did he just compare an automotive braking system to a system used on an aircraft?

If so ,that is officially the most ignorant post I have seen in quite awhile...
doublec4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do you have any links or pictures for what I understand the f-body have bigger pistons than the corvette which, sound like a good thing to me.

What kind of pictures are you looking for? I have some of the front brakes on my website:

http://embraceracing.com/fierobrakebrackets.php

Let me know
PFF
System Bot
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fireboss:

Did he just compare an automotive braking system to a system used on an aircraft?

If so ,that is officially the most ignorant post I have seen in quite awhile...

Get used to it, if you saw some of the stupidity he writes in OT you'd understand- and he's not even the worst offender. Who needs a parking brake on a manual car? Who's 3.1 turboturd can make it to 150mph and stop on a dime? All with stock "Ferrari" body aero without a hood vent and not flying off the road at those speeds? All from the guy who claims he gets 100k+ on his oem tires and brakes. So much lulz.

As for my personal experience, I rebuilt a lot of my 87 GT and in that package was a new set of Delco discs along with IIRC either Raybestos or Wagner pads. On a cruise that some of us on here do on mountain roads, I had to perform one emergency stop from about 105-0 coming off a very steep hill. At about 40 I felt my brakes severely starting to fade and was barely able to stop at the bottom of the hill. When I finally did my fluid was boiling and hissing. Now it could be that the fluid was old as I never cycled it myself, but that was some scary sh*t. Apart from that the stock brakes were barely adequate for daily driving IMO, half the time I couldn't get the tires to lock up by standing on the pedal.

I also tried swapping in the GA setup, but man it was HEAVY. I felt that if I was going to add so much unsprung weight, I might as well spring for a bigger rotor combo. I sold that and planned to do the LeBaron swap- which IMO along with the Vette brake setup is the best for our cars for someone on a budget. Wilwoods are nice, but they don't have dust boots and I'd question having them on a daily.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

As for my personal experience, I rebuilt a lot of my 87 GT and in that package was a new set of Delco discs along with IIRC either Raybestos or Wagner pads. On a cruise that some of us on here do on mountain roads, I had to perform one emergency stop from about 105-0 coming off a very steep hill. At about 40 I felt my brakes severely starting to fade and was barely able to stop at the bottom of the hill. When I finally did my fluid was boiling and hissing. Now it could be that the fluid was old as I never cycled it myself, but that was some scary sh*t. Apart from that the stock brakes were barely adequate for daily driving IMO, half the time I couldn't get the tires to lock up by standing on the pedal.

That's quite an indictment for not knowing the state of the fluid, or the condition of the seals in the 25 year old master cylinder with the questionable fluid... Last time I checked a 105-0 emergency downhill stop would be rather severe duty for any average brake system. Especially one with solid rotors up front.

The stock brakes are more than adequate for daily driving if properly maintained... new pads and rotors with out knowing the condition of the rest of the system is not properly maintained for a 25+ year old car.

I can understand if the brakes on your particular Fiero are under-performing, but generally speaking, properly maintained Fieros don't over heat, they stop when asked too, and don't catch on fire, well, not more than anything else on the road anyway. If someone has a questionable brake system and doesn't want to spend the money on stock parts and would rather put it towards an upgrade, that's fine, but we shouldn't be making people think they are driving a car that is a deathtrap by design, because it is not.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the old HELD/Rayne 12" Wilwood brake kit on my car and after looking at WIlwood's catalog online, it looks like I may be able to swap in some light-weight rotors.
jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used the dual piston camaro caliper and 13" c4hd rotors.

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
Northstar Rebuild

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

That's quite an indictment for not knowing the state of the fluid, or the condition of the seals in the 25 year old master cylinder with the questionable fluid... Last time I checked a 105-0 emergency downhill stop would be rather severe duty for any average brake system. Especially one with solid rotors up front.

The stock brakes are more than adequate for daily driving if properly maintained... new pads and rotors with out knowing the condition of the rest of the system is not properly maintained for a 25+ year old car.

I can understand if the brakes on your particular Fiero are under-performing, but generally speaking, properly maintained Fieros don't over heat, they stop when asked too, and don't catch on fire, well, not more than anything else on the road anyway. If someone has a questionable brake system and doesn't want to spend the money on stock parts and would rather put it towards an upgrade, that's fine, but we shouldn't be making people think they are driving a car that is a deathtrap by design, because it is not.

Now that I remember, my MC had died early on when I got the car and I had replaced it+ flushed the fluid prior to that cruise. In fact I went through 2 MCs because the first never fit right. None of them got me the braking performance that a sporty mid engine 2 door car should have.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I should note than on my 12" kit, I use the 1982 Corvette brake master cylinder.
Like I said, stops on a dime and hands you back change.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For those who've upgraded if you post the cost, maybe where to get the parts, and the year of your car it would be very helpful.

Has onyone done any testing to see what the improvement specifically is, also like Guru alluded to, did you also upgrade your rears?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-14-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Get used to it, if you saw some of the stupidity he writes in OT you'd understand- and he's not even the worst offender. Who needs a parking brake on a manual car? Who's 3.1 turboturd can make it to 150mph and stop on a dime? All with stock "Ferrari" body aero without a hood vent and not flying off the road at those speeds? All from the guy who claims he gets 100k+ on his oem tires and brakes. So much lulz.

I also tried swapping in the GA setup, but man it was HEAVY. I felt that if I was going to add so much unsprung weight, I might as well spring for a bigger rotor combo. I sold that and planned to do the LeBaron swap- which IMO along with the Vette brake setup is the best for our cars for someone on a budget. Wilwoods are nice, but they don't have dust boots and I'd question having them on a daily.

Disc brakes are disc brakes whether they are on a car, motorcycle, gokart or a plane. In my case they are both steel rotors with a single caliper/ piston. Please, You explain to me what is any difference other than what its bolted on to, you morons. They all work EXACTLY the same way.
As for some of your other stupidity.

No the Ferrari rebody didnt need any stupid vents. It was the same as a Ferrari aerodynamicly and within fractions of an inch of same dimensions. Just because your junk POS needed holes drilled in the hood to stay on the road dont mean anyone elses does. I dont know how fast the Fieros had to go to pace the Indy 500, but I dont recall them putting any holes in the hood.

yes, I had a 300 hp turboed 3.1, built by a nascar engine builder in it. and yes it went 100,000 miles with no problems. Back some years, Nascar considered using 3.8 v6s in the Nationwide Series, and he worked on them that made over 550 hp na, with single 4 bbls. They did cancel those plans though. You can look it up yourself.

I did not say it stopped on a dime...you said that...I said it stopped just fine for me. My drum brakes also worked to my satisfaction on my SuperBee. Since you cant make your brakes work at all, you obviously dont have a clue how to work on them. I could lock up mine and skid it 50 yards if I wanted to.

It had a 200 mph speedo in it, and actually the fastest I had it was verified by police radar and GPS to be 177. It easily did 140-150 at Mid Ohio during open track days when I went up with either the Porsche or Mercedes Regional Clubs.

yes I get over 100,000 miles on tires and brakes in most of my cars. My Sebring is at 105,000 and may need new ones next year since their starting to show minor weather cracking now. Its still my daily driver and does fine on the snow passing 4x4s stuck in the ditches. The Astro got 130K before I sold it on the original BFG whitewalls. Same with all the limos I had in my business fleet.

Other than needing a parking brake in some states, Ive never used them on anything ever I remember. Why would you when you can put it in gear or park ? Have you ever tried stopping your car with an emergency brake only. I did once in a Corvette and it barely slowed it down, certainly did not come close to stopping it any better than sticking my foot out the door. In fact most of my cars, I didnt even know if they did work since I never used one.

And you didnt mention I can get great gas mileage. The Sebring, stock V6 auto, conv still gets 35mpg all day long on the highway. Since I still have it, I can and have already proved all that.

So stick your gearshift up your azz and f----k it. numb nuts.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 01-14-2014).]

fireboss

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Disc brakes are disc brakes whether they are on a car, motorcycle, gokart or a plane. In my case they are both steel rotors with a single caliper/ piston. Please, You explain to me what is any difference other than what its bolted on to, you morons. They all work EXACTLY the same way.
As for some of your other stupidity.

No the Ferrari rebody didnt need any stupid vents. It was the same as a Ferrari aerodynamicly and within fractions of an inch of same dimensions. Just because your junk POS needed holes drilled in the hood to stay on the road dont mean anyone elses does. I dont know how fast the Fieros had to go to pace the Indy 500, but I dont recall them putting any holes in the hood.

yes, I had a 300 hp turboed 3.1, built by a nascar engine builder in it. and yes it went 100,000 miles with no problems. Back some years, Nascar considered using 3.8 v6s in the Nationwide Series, and he worked on them that made over 550 hp na, with single 4 bbls. They did cancel those plans though. You can look it up yourself.

I did not say it stopped on a dime...you said that...I said it stopped just fine for me. My drum brakes also worked to my satisfaction on my SuperBee. Since you cant make your brakes work at all, you obviously dont have a clue how to work on them. I could lock up mine and skid it 50 yards if I wanted to.

It had a 200 mph speedo in it, and actually the fastest I had it was verified by police radar and GPS to be 177. It easily did 140-150 at Mid Ohio during open track days when I went up with either the Porsche or Mercedes Regional Clubs.

yes I get over 100,000 miles on tires and brakes in most of my cars. My Sebring is at 105,000 and may need new ones next year since their starting to show minor weather cracking now. Its still my daily driver and does fine on the snow passing 4x4s stuck in the ditches. The Astro got 130K before I sold it on the original BFG whitewalls. Same with all the limos I had in my business fleet.

Other than needing a parking brake in some states, Ive never used them on anything ever I remember. Why would you when you can put it in gear or park ? Have you ever tried stopping your car with an emergency brake only. I did once in a Corvette and it barely slowed it down, certainly did not come close to stopping it any better than sticking my foot out the door. In fact most of my cars, I didnt even know if they did work since I never used one.

And you didnt mention I can get great gas mileage. The Sebring, stock V6 auto, conv still gets 35mpg all day long on the highway. Since I still have it, I can and have already proved all that.

So stick your gearshift up your azz and f----k it. numb nuts.

Yep this fella has problems
BrewCheese

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 87 GT and always thought the stock brakes were great. Then I had a caliper lock up and decided while I was changing things to upgrade to the Lebaron/Seville package. Then I realized just how crappy the factory brakes where. Im sure If I would have changed all the old parts out with new factory parts they would have been a lot better, but not nearly as good as what I have now.

Jason
PFF
System Bot
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Prior to doing DoubleC4's C5 brake upgrade I did a fair amount of research on the calipers involved. 4th gen f-body, C5 (non-Z06), and C6 (non-Z06) calipers are all roughly the same. The 4th gen & C5 calipers are almost identical - the difference is a larger mounting bracket on the C5 caliper (1" larger rotor) and a slightly beefier caliper maybe. I read that they may be exactly the same, just a slightly different shape to allow for the "Corvette" script. The piston diameter is the same (1.75") on each of them. The C6 caliper is verifiably stronger than the 4th gen/C5 caliper but shares the exact same functional dimensions as well. The Z51 brake package gives bigger (~1/2", IIRC) rotors and has a "taller" mounting bracket to move the caliper out, but the C6 base and C6 Z51 caliper are identical.

Bottom line, from my investigation, is that 4th gen, C5 (non-Z06), and C6 (non-Z06) calipers are all interchangeable. They get stronger as they get newer. They also get more expensive whether new or reman. Given the choice I'd always opt for C6 calipers. The cost difference is tens of dollars, if that, and you get the strongest caliper with no tangible weight penalty for it.

Some relevant links:

http://lukeskaff.com/?page_id=333
http://ls1tech.com/forums/s...only-conversion.html
http://ls1tech.com/forums/l...ersion-brackets.html

Edit: If you buy DC4's adapters AND you're running 18" wheels, you can also go to the C6 Z51 brakes. Just thought I'd mention - but 13.4" rotors on a Fiero seems a little nuts, not worth the extra couple pounds IMHO.

[This message has been edited by thesameguy (edited 01-14-2014).]

jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I picked up the camaro calipers for $28 a pair used and then bought a set of powder coated for $145. I did not want the corvette script but the c5 are less likely to spread... I plan on Chang in to the 4 piston ctsv calipers if can get a set reasonably priced

------------------

85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
Northstar Rebuild

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 01-14-2014).]

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I apologize to the OP for the troll up above, and also for not directly not answering your question in my initial response. As an owner of a 4th gen f-body, I can tell you that the stock brake bias is huge. In fact a popular budget swap on the forums is the CTS-V and 5th gen Camaro Brembo swap. A lot of people would prefer to swap a full set of brakes, but the rears do so little work in comparison that its pretty useless- not to mention it increases axle hop under braking on that platform.

The calipers are fairly light though, the e-brake setup for the the rears isn't terrible different either. Regardless you still need to redrill the rotors for 5x100 and possibly bore the hub centers. Just for that effort alone I think its worth the extra couple bucks to do the Vette setup, or do the Seville swap since its less labor intensive IMO.
jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am working on using the same calipers from and rear. I do not need an e brake.

------------------

85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
Northstar Rebuild

jonathan2014

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jonathan2014Send a Private Message to jonathan2014Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I apologize to the OP for the troll up above, and also for not directly not answering your question in my initial response. As an owner of a 4th gen f-body, I can tell you that the stock brake bias is huge. In fact a popular budget swap on the forums is the CTS-V and 5th gen Camaro Brembo swap. A lot of people would prefer to swap a full set of brakes, but the rears do so little work in comparison that its pretty useless- not to mention it increases axle hop under braking on that platform.

The calipers are fairly light though, the e-brake setup for the the rears isn't terrible different either. Regardless you still need to redrill the rotors for 5x100 and possibly bore the hub centers. Just for that effort alone I think its worth the extra couple bucks to do the Vette setup, or do the Seville swap since its less labor intensive IMO.
Its alright I understand the question would bring up arguments the the only reason why I suggested these calipers is because they're aluminum duel piston And readily available at a junkyard for cheap. But if I could find CTS-V or brembo for cheap. I would be all over them

I want the emergency, brake because. I have a stick, and I like leaving it running when I'm not in it, and that is completely unsafe, unless you have emergency break, or you block the wheels and you try looking cool geting in your trunk to Get blocks to block the wheels.

[This message has been edited by jonathan2014 (edited 01-14-2014).]

1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've thought the same thing but what about WRX rotors? the are already slip on 5x100mm and the STi's have slick 4-pot calipers and a funcional ebrake.
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I want the emergency, brake because. I have a stick, and I like leaving it running when I'm not in it, and that is completely unsafe, unless you have emergency break, or you block the wheels and you try looking cool geting in your trunk to Get blocks to block the wheels.

Agreed, thats a big part of why I got rid of my Grand Am swap. Parking on steep hills is out of the question, not to mention its annoying and possibly unsafe having to shut the engine off/ hop out of the car for something with the engine running. Plus I'd imagine it'd trip up a stupid car thief a bit with the lever being down and the wheels still being locked up lol.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jb1:

I am working on using the same calipers from and rear. I do not need an e brake.

And there ya go. I never leave my car running if Im not in it period. IF you MUST, just turn the wheels toward the curb like the law says to.

*** DONT APPOLOGIZE for me....nitrohead. I just say things like I see them....and always have. I offer no appolgy to anything I said. Id tell you the same face to face. Just too bad you had to start crap in someone elses thread. If you start at the begining, you will see you started it. Ive forgotten more than you know and prob done more that you ever read about in your comic books.

*** Fireboss, I have absolutely no problem with anything except people that dont know anything trying to tell me anything. (see above) Especially when they are telling me what " I " do, did or have.

*** To the orig poster. Ill keep out of it now. I just posted my honest opinions in answer to your question. You could take it or leave it.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 01-15-2014).]

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed new ebrake hardware on my 87GT and it's useless.
Works a little better on my 88 but still mostly useless.

There was actually a recall on the Fiero ebrake, might have been 88 only, not sure, but it was because it's mostly useless.
So perhaps some cars had the recall done and some not.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock