Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Why is there not many people doing f-body dual piston caliper upgrade??? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Why is there not many people doing f-body dual piston caliper upgrade??? by jonathan2014
Started on: 01-12-2014 12:45 AM
Replies: 45 (2626 views)
Last post by: RobertGT on 01-16-2014 03:13 PM
RobertGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RobertGTSend a Private Message to RobertGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not like your O/T posts are much better, but the ignorance you've displayed in this thread is unrivaled roger garrison. It's not even worth correcting because it's so asinine most members here saw right through it. But one part of your moronic posts that wasn't pointed out was your flawed views on the E-brake (Actually called the parking brake, because it's for parking).

First, it's illegal not to have one on your car. Second, it's illegal not to use it when parking. Third, not using your parking brake actually puts a lot of stress on your driveline components and can cause premature failure, specifically in your trans, axles, and CV joints. I know your Porsche beating Chrysler doesn't need no stinkin parking brake, but for the rest of us that don't believe your car does 1/4 of the crap you say, the parking brake should be used every time you park, and should be engaged prior to putting the vehicle into park (Or engine off in gear for the manuals). The parking brake should be the proximate and sole system actually holding your car, the transmission should be a backup.
IP: Logged

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

I installed new ebrake hardware on my 87GT and it's useless.
Works a little better on my 88 but still mostly useless.

There was actually a recall on the Fiero ebrake, might have been 88 only, not sure, but it was because it's mostly useless.
So perhaps some cars had the recall done and some not.

My ebrakes/parking brakes work fine, one 88 and one 86, does yours not hold the car from rolling is that what you mean?
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
My ebrakes/parking brakes work fine, one 88 and one 86, does yours not hold the car from rolling is that what you mean?

Yes, it doesn't hold poop.
On my 87 engaging and disengaging is always a problem and all my 87's have had this problem. When I switched to the HELD brakes, I did not miss the e-brake. My 87GT 4.9 car has new ebrake cables and it's just a PITA that I don't use it.

On my 88 Formula it's worthless on an incline. I know it can be tightened but it seems to me that it just introduces drag during normal driving.
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:
3. (88 only) Parts are getting hard to find and expensive.

that's why I got rid of mine***
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AL87

2578 posts
Member since Mar 2010

Originally posted by RobertGT:

Not like your O/T posts are much better, but the ignorance you've displayed in this thread is unrivaled roger garrison. It's not even worth correcting because it's so asinine most members here saw right through it. But one part of your moronic posts that wasn't pointed out was your flawed views on the E-brake (Actually called the parking brake, because it's for parking).

First, it's illegal not to have one on your car. Second, it's illegal not to use it when parking. Third, not using your parking brake actually puts a lot of stress on your driveline components and can cause premature failure, specifically in your trans, axles, and CV joints. I know your Porsche beating Chrysler doesn't need no stinkin parking brake, but for the rest of us that don't believe your car does 1/4 of the crap you say, the parking brake should be used every time you park, and should be engaged prior to putting the vehicle into park (Or engine off in gear for the manuals). The parking brake should be the proximate and sole system actually holding
your car, the transmission should be a backup.

I have yet to read in the law where it is required to use your hand brake... then again, I'm in flat sunny warm florida*
ALSO, if you rebuild the brakes properly, and set the e-brake adjusting mechanism correctly when you rebuild it, and set it properly when you install the calipers, they work and brake fantastically. the only problem with the rear is that a lot of people don't have the patience to deal with it properly since the mechanism is so complex.

I've always wondered though, how the m/t fieros in the hilly parts of the country seem to manage.

RobertGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RobertGTSend a Private Message to RobertGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure if it's state law, but where I live (And most cities), have it as a Municipal Ordinance. Mine works properly, it'll hold the car and doesn't drag when released, and although I rarely park on hills, I would have no reason to doubt it's capability. But as a backup I leave the car in gear.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock