Keep going through TPS on a 2.5... by Twilight Fenrir
Started on: 01-11-2014 01:52 PM
Replies: 6 (445 views)
Last post by: Twilight Fenrir on 01-19-2014 02:47 PM
Twilight Fenrir

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Twilight FenrirSend a Private Message to Twilight FenrirEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got an '86 2m4, and every winter my TPS starts going to hell... Is there something that is causing them to wear out? Is this a common problem? I'm kind of sick of spending money on the blessed things..

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, let me say I don't know what I am talking about.

OK, now I would suspect some bad ground somewhere making life difficult for your TPS. Maybe near the ECM, maybe on the engine....If you can look up that circuit and find connections to clean it may help.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A bad TPS ground would set a code 21 AND a code 15, they share the same return path. The splice is next to the ECM in the cabin.

Any codes? Is the tab that keeps the connector on the sensor still intact?
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RWDPLZ

15013 posts
Member since May 2002
Here's a video on how to test a TPS. The Fiero TPS sensors all work like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS6E2p8Uzug

Here's another with an 87-88 duke sensor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_150wHiTsg
Twilight Fenrir

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Twilight FenrirSend a Private Message to Twilight FenrirEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is setting a code, IIRC it is 21, but I'll have to double check it to make sure... This seems to go off like clockwork every winter :/

Yes, the tab is still on the connector...

I'll see if I can't run that test tomorrow, supposed to be pretty warm...
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A corroded/loose connector can cause this problem. When replacing the TPS, reinserting the connector wears clean a connection point. However a loose connection (of the pins) causes the connector pin to corrode and eventually fail.

I would replace the TPS connector and see if the trouble returns.
Twilight Fenrir

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2014 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Twilight FenrirSend a Private Message to Twilight FenrirEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, finally got out and took a look at it... (I am a master procrastinator) The connector is indeed most likely at fault... The bottom pin in the connector was backed out of its tube. I pulled it forward, and held the wire at the back when I put it back in, so it should have gone in all the way this time... If I still have issues, I'll buy a new plug.

Thanks for saving me $80 :3

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock