To much oil pressure to turbo by Bozzie
Started on: 01-10-2014 02:26 PM
Replies: 13 (241 views)
Last post by: RotrexFiero on 01-12-2014 08:02 PM
Bozzie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Running a Garret Turbo to a 3800 engine and have to much oil pressure at the turbo, getting some oil bypass thru the seal , even with a restrictor...any ideas ?

Boz

------------------
http://i252.photobucket.com...ec/2007_12240001.jpg

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Orangevirus1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orangevirus1Send a Private Message to Orangevirus1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how is your turbo mounted?

make sure the oil feed is on top and oil drain is pointed down towards the ground. as vertical as possible.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
most of the time its drain or turbo problems.
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a stronger spring for oil pressure and its just to much. Turbo is clocked so the feed goes down and out the bottom. Thinking of going external oil and scavange pump.

------------------

Orangevirus1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orangevirus1Send a Private Message to Orangevirus1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bozzie:

I have a stronger spring for oil pressure and its just to much. Turbo is clocked so the feed goes down and out the bottom. Thinking of going external oil and scavange pump.

I still recommend checking that your drain is perfectly vertical or as vertical as possible. If it's a journal bearing turbo pressure shouldn't be a problem. Turbochargers have built in resctritors. I've ran over 120psi of oil pressure through a turbo before and had absolutely no problems.

so either it's the drain or it's the exhaust ring seal or compressor ring seal
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What size oil feed line?
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any pictures of the oil drain setup? Oil drain size?

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about the angle of your drain pipe/tube and the fitting? is the whole drain system a reasonable I.D.

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96)
HX-40, FrozenBoost I/C, 80lb injectors & E85 Coming soon.....

buildamonster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buildamonsterSend a Private Message to buildamonsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with the first ones. If all the other check out then make a orifice. Carb jets are easy to get and change. Start out with a large size jet. Run it and if it smokes then go down a few sizes until it no longer smokes. I run thick synthetic it won't choke the turbo like reg oil will.
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bozzie:

Don't complicate matters unnecessarily, put the stock spring back in the pump and if that doesn't cure it and the turbo is used it may need a rebuild. The greater the bearing tolerances in the turbo the faster the oil flows through the bearing and the greater the risk of out flowing a perfectly good drain system. If you decide to increase the restriction further going into the turbo, disconnect the drain tube from the pan and let it drain into a container for a cycle of a few seconds to get an idea of how much oil is actually being pumped through it afterwards. There is a standard for how much the flow quantity should be on the net.
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the insight. Im going to check for any resistance in the drain. I thought i had it all good. If not i'll post pics .

Thanks

Boz

------------------

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always ran synthetic oil with my turbo engine. I think its pretty much a necessity to overcome heat. When I first built it I was using regular oil and it would burn about 1/2 quart every few thousand miles. Just going to Castrol Syntec changed that to less than 1/2 quart in 7,000+ miles. And...im pretty sure all that was thru valve guides since it got a whisp of smoke at startup.
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
I always ran synthetic oil with my turbo engine. I think its pretty much a necessity to overcome heat. When I first built it I was using regular oil and it would burn about 1/2 quart every few thousand miles. Just going to Castrol Syntec changed that to less than 1/2 quart in 7,000+ miles. And...im pretty sure all that was thru valve guides since it got a whisp of smoke at startup.

Make that synthetic and an oil cooler, I believe the best oil cooler on the market is a stock water cooled unit mounted between the oil filter and the mount. I ran a temp gauge immediately after installing mine and the oil only ran a little hotter than coolant temps at stop lights, other than that it was cooler than the coolant because the water feed to the cooler is from the side of the engine block before it gets to the cylinder head where it picks up most of its heat. Without it my oil temps ran approximately 240 deg +/- during the Summer with moderate driving.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I second the oil cooler. My oil temps would go high and pressure would drop.

It sounds like your seals in the turbo are bad. But, as mentioned check your oil drain. I remember my putting the drain plug in the pan and trying to mount it as high as I could.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock