Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Pressure Plate / Throwout Bearing binding flywheel?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Pressure Plate / Throwout Bearing binding flywheel? by brbrealfast
Started on: 01-10-2014 10:49 AM
Replies: 7 (383 views)
Last post by: brbrealfast on 01-10-2014 08:33 PM
brbrealfast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for brbrealfastSend a Private Message to brbrealfastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put in a new clutch and pressure plate. After getting everything back together, I had to deal with the starter. After finally getting the starter working properly, all I heard was a wiiiinnnee-ing noise. No crank! I can clearly see the starter was making good contact with the few teeth it connected with. So I checked to make sure the flywheel was spinning freely. Nope! I know for a fact that the flywheel was spinning when I installed the new clutch and pressure plate. All Fiero owners should know what a pain in the ass it is to get a damn clutch off! So I guess I'm going to hammer back into it tomorrow. THUS, my question for you guys: Is it possible I may have ordered the wrong pressure plate and clutch which may be binding my flywheel in the casing? Or could my throwout bearing inside the casing have came loose binding my flywheel? Or do you guys have any other suggestions?

I felt like itchin. I would really appreciate some insight on this. Thanks!

------------------
'87 Fiero GT

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by brbrealfast:
heard was a wiiiinnnee-ing noise. No crank!

Welcome to the forum! sounds like your starter is not engaging the flywheel....
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some pressure plates, although the bolt up and seem to fit, are not the right dimensions and will bind things up. If the flywheel won't turn the pressure plate is likely hitting the bellhousing some place. Larry
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by brbrealfast:
No crank! I can clearly see the starter was making good contact with the few teeth it connected with. So I checked to make sure the flywheel was spinning freely. Nope!

Originally posted by Gall757:

Welcome to the forum! sounds like your starter is not engaging the flywheel....

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

carbon

4767 posts
Member since Apr 2004

Originally posted by trotterlg:

Some pressure plates, although the bolt up and seem to fit, are not the right dimensions and will bind things up. If the flywheel won't turn the pressure plate is likely hitting the bellhousing some place. Larry

Bingo! We just went through this with a friends 88 Formula. We tried two different 'correct' application clutches from Orielly's and Autozone and both of the pressure plates hit the inside the of the bell housing. One hit just the rivets and one was actually the surface of the pressure plate.

The Luk 04-088 has a pressure plate that works... and it's reasonably priced.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 01-10-2014).]

brbrealfast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brbrealfastSend a Private Message to brbrealfastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a eClutchmaster stage 2 from ebay. Any suggestions on a stage 2 that might work?

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you putting it in a stock 1987 Fiero GT? If so, you don't need 'Stage 2'...

And I can certainly GUARANTEE that eClutchmaster does not actually make clutches, where as Luk(Centric) does.

And 'Stages' are just marketing buzz words used to sell clutches to people that know every line of all the F&F movies...

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 01-10-2014).]

brbrealfast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brbrealfastSend a Private Message to brbrealfastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sure enough. I could see where the clutch was hitting the bell housing. I should have looked into it a little more. The distributer of the clutch I bought it from has a bull **** return policy of 10 days after purchase and a 30% stocking fee including shipping! It took 5 days to get here!

That some bull.
Any other clutch suggestions?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock