Sloppy Shifter by 4thfiero
Started on: 01-09-2014 07:24 PM
Replies: 6 (201 views)
Last post by: Big Paul on 01-11-2014 02:18 AM
4thfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,

Next on the list is fixing my shifter slop...i got the shifter shifting good now...but it has a lot of play both side to side and up and down. I got dickmans kit...but the shifter still feels loose, i can move it around in neutral a bunch before it actually moves the cables, and when its in gear? I still have a bunch of play in the shifter. Any idea?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The shifter rebuild kit, or the cable repair kit?

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...o.php?products_id=57

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-09-2014).]

4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The shifter rebuild kit is what i bought, i also have his cables though
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may make up for wear with replacements, but cable shifting is inherently sloppy at best for every stick with them ive drove.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There will always be some slop as the cables have to have clearance inside the outer sheathing of the cable. When you push the inner cable goes against one side and when you pull it goes against the other side.

With the console off move the shifter around and see where the play still is. Have someone else do that and look at the trans to see where there is still some play.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post01-10-2014 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
follow the ajustment procedure listed in the haynes manual for the shift mechanism under the console
use a tight fit nail or drill IN THE AJUSTER HOLES
then follow the procedure to ajust the cables where they mount to the transmission ,levers
the hand shifter itself can be moved/pulled out enough to smear some LIGHT grease like lubriplate on the shaft & inside the shift hole
regular grease will do,, just a small amount
if you do not have the Haynes manual I will write it out
spray lube the shifting mechanisim that is forward of the console underneath the radio,do not worry about the round rubber piece
proper ajustment of both ends of the cables makes a big difference,...
properly ajusted & lubed ,Rodney cables shift like butter & you can not tell you are shifting cables & not linkage

......................................FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS
Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My shifter had so much slop that eventualy I couldn't hardly move the select cables by moving it side to side. Turns out the assembly had a bunch if hairline cracks. I got those welded up, and now I have really tight shifts. I can post pics of the cracks in the morning. I think I still have some. I know I started a thread about it some time ago.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock