how hard ? by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 01-09-2014 12:44 PM
Replies: 9 (354 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 01-11-2014 01:14 AM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a 3800SC that I rebuilt along with a rebuilt 4t65e w/ harness & exhaust that I've Mounted to a spare 1986 Cradle/ Axles, every time I drive my '85 4 cyl/auto Fiero (the prospective receiver of this swap), I ask my self WHY am I doing this to a low miles perfectly running car ? I can get a Non running, but complete '88 4 cyl /5 speed for $500. How hard would it be to put what I've got into the '88 ?? Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe a change in the coolant hoses and engine mount... the trans mounts should work, the axles are the same... it's not really that different.
uhlanstan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post01-09-2014 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this is a difficult swap !! just been done often ,,we have a few members in central florida fiero involved in this swap right now ..
go to central florida fiero forum & read pappy,s swap he is in his third year..especially read his axle adaption
even the chevy 3.4 V6 is not an easy swap reading pappy,s swap will move you far ahead & he will be glad to help you
there are 20 pages with pretty photos
of course use the pennock search feature for 3800 swap info
never,never think any swap is easy !!
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

I've got a 3800SC that I rebuilt along with a rebuilt 4t65e w/ harness & exhaust that I've Mounted to a spare 1986 Cradle/ Axles, every time I drive my '85 4 cyl/auto Fiero (the prospective receiver of this swap), I ask my self WHY am I doing this to a low miles perfectly running car ? I can get a Non running, but complete '88 4 cyl /5 speed for $500. How hard would it be to put what I've got into the '88 ?? Thanks

Lou - grab that 88 and swap it into that car - then you will have two great Fiero's!
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by uhlanstan:

this is a difficult swap !! just been done often ,,we have a few members in central florida fiero involved in this swap right now ..
go to central florida fiero forum & read pappy,s swap he is in his third year..especially read his axle adaption
even the chevy 3.4 V6 is not an easy swap reading pappy,s swap will move you far ahead & he will be glad to help you
there are 20 pages with pretty photos
of course use the pennock search feature for 3800 swap info
never,never think any swap is easy !!

Overall I would call the swap fairly "easy", if I had the time and all the materials at once I could have did my swap in less than a week... But lack of time and money meant it took 6 months collecting parts, then about 2 weeks of actual down time (due to work / no time). What determines how hard it is would depend on your skill level at fab work and how much you decide you want to fab/build yourself vs buying from vendor.

If you can find a good condition 88 then I would go that route, I dont think it would be radically different. And I had the same thoughts about pulling a perfectly STRONG running 2.8 out of mine.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought the point was he was already planning a swap into a pre-88 car, assuming he knew the difficulty level of that project, and was wondering the difference between that and putting it in an 88. *shrug*
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BINGO ! I Already"Re Built" both the 3800SC and 4t65e-hd, already "built' the harness, and exhaust, it's already mounted on 1986 Cradle.
What I Am Asking is: How much trouble would it be to put the engine/trans with mounts onto the '88 cradle ? difference in mounts, having to "cut" the cradle, ( Never having seen an '88 cradle) I'm just considering it because I can get the '88 cheap, and I really Don't want to "UNDO" a really great running car (1985 4cyl auto)that I am already driving.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
oh, the '88 is 4 cyl 5 speed
1fast2m4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The motor mount on the cradle side is different (not a big deal)
The heater hoses are most likely diffrent ($20-30 at the hardware store
You would need to swap in a Auto shifter if you stayed with the 4t65 (I assume you will)

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96)
HX-40, FrozenBoost I/C, 80lb injectors & E85 Coming soon.....

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
but no "Adapting" of the frame required ? yea, stick to auto is easy, glad I'm not trying auto to stick ! Thanks

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock