85 Fiero GT, engine issue by Voodoochile
Started on: 01-09-2014 12:40 PM
Replies: 4 (199 views)
Last post by: James Bond 007 on 01-10-2014 11:02 AM
Voodoochile

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoodoochileSend a Private Message to VoodoochileEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 85 GT that has pretty much sat around for 10 years or so. I have started it and drove it around the neighborhood periodically to keep it somewhat fresh. Last winter I had to move it out of the garage on a particularly cold day (-20F) because I had to fix another car and needed the garage. It started fine, ran fine. After a couple of days in the cold, I tried to move it back into the garage but had issues starting it-jumped it and I eventually got it going. After a while it was idling pretty well and it heated up fine. The problem was that I could not get any rpms out of it north of 1k. I pushed it back into the garage and left it til summer. Even in the summer it had the same issues, hard time starting but eventually did run but could not get any rpms out of it. Does anyone have any idea what the cold could have permanently affected? I tried replacing the plugs and wires to no avail. I was going to move to the dist. cap and rotor next and then the ignition coil. My last thought was maybe the fuel pump. Instead of shot-gunning it, I thought maybe someone on the forum would an idea of what is most probable.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sometimes extreme cold can affect the coolant sensor and map sensor. The MAP can get small particles of moisture and if not driven enough, the moisture can build up enough to freeze, damaging the sensor. Should cause check engine light when they fail.
However the things that would make more sense. Plugged fuel filter, 10 years of sitting, do it anyway. Can't hurt and cheap.
Broken or cracked vacuum hoses to map and fuel pressure regulator. They hate very cold temps.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd do a fuel pressure check. After setting that many years the fuel pumps pickle and go bad. Or the line from the pump inside the tank could be split. Low fuel pressure could allow it to run some but not much more. Easy to check also. See if your parts store had a loaner tool if you don't have a gauge.
Voodoochile

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VoodoochileSend a Private Message to VoodoochileEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Cmechmann and Dodgerunner, I was thinking about the fuel pump/filter. Will definitely check the pressure. While I am at it I will check the vacuum lines--both seem reasonable.

Will let you know what I find..
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Read my post on rust in the fuel tank. My car sat for about 2 years while I slowly did an engine swap. I didn't know how damageing fuel can be,while a car is sitting (not much of a problem,when being driven). I had origionally installed a new fuel pump 6 months prior to the engine swap, so I know the fuel tank was squeeky clean inside and no rust at all. You will see how bad thing got after just 2 years in Sunny southern California.Every thing was rusty,the fuel tank,the sending unit,the fuel pump seized and loads of rust in the fuel (red in color).
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/088012.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock