88 Fiero Rust Question, Pics Included. by jon2009
Started on: 01-07-2014 11:32 AM
Replies: 10 (540 views)
Last post by: daveg on 01-07-2014 05:56 PM
jon2009

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon2009Send a Private Message to jon2009Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guys,

I posted this in the general section, just wanted to get more input.

Bought this 1988 Fiero GT 118,000 km, one owner. Canadian car. Automatic. Got it for 1600. I have the chance to give back the car if it is not up my standards. Its parked in my uncles garage, and i had him take a couple of photos for me to share to see whether the rust is a problem or its just surface rust. Again the car is not with me at the moment. For that reason i am taking advice from you guys. Before i take it to my mechanic.

http://s1373.photobucket.co...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Let me know

Thanks

[This message has been edited by jon2009 (edited 01-07-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pictures aren't showing up
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't get the pixs to open.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looked at your other post and the pics are working there. I'd say the rust is probably about average for a car from this area. To get an '88 for $1,600 you can expect to have to put some work into it. If you have the time and patience (plus a place to work on it) just about anything can be fixed. As mentioned by others, see if you can put an awl or a screwdriver through the areas of the frame that look the worst. If you can't, there's a good chance you could grind off the rust and Por 15 it. What is the rest of the car like? If the interior and body are in good shape, including the tail lights and the sail panels, it's definitely worth the effort to fix up. If you're not interested, I would even have a look at it myself

For those looking, http://s1373.photobucket.co...rary/?sort=3&page=1] is the link that works

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 01-07-2014).]

jon2009

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon2009Send a Private Message to jon2009Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
jon2009

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon2009Send a Private Message to jon2009Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jon2009

45 posts
Member since Dec 2013
NetCam, i PM you for more info about seeing the car in person.
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This doesn't look to good

jon2009

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon2009Send a Private Message to jon2009Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If i'm not wrong that looks like the rear cross member. Before bring it to my place. We had to replace the driver side rear wheel. I jacked the car from the rear cross member. I assume it passed the test.

[This message has been edited by jon2009 (edited 01-07-2014).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doesnt look that bad to me.
It also looks like someone undercoated parts with something a long time ago and that is some of what you see coming off.
I'd take a flat scraper to it and see whats under it.
Also like mentioned tap a punch or screwdriver on some areas and make sure they are solid.

Depends on what your standards are I suppose.
jon2009

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon2009Send a Private Message to jon2009Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't mind rust, but I don't want to take to a shop where the mechanic needs to be welding steel sheets on the car. I still need to check underneath wheel well liners. I paid 1600 for it. So I do except rust. But I am willing to sand the surface rust, and perhaps paint it with por15 or rust oleum. I don't think I can find a 88 fiero gt for that price.
daveg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davegSend a Private Message to davegEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks pretty good, not too far gone at all. I'd be glad to take your burden away...

Dave
Barrie, On
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay