Horn Relay and Wiring by Canyonflyer
Started on: 01-03-2014 06:57 PM
Replies: 3 (604 views)
Last post by: cmechmann on 01-08-2014 11:05 PM
Canyonflyer

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CanyonflyerSend a Private Message to CanyonflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay... So I'm installing a Grant quick release hub on my hooptie '85 Sport.

I'm going to relocated the horn to a rocker switch somewhere else.

Looking at wiring diagrams, it seems to be easiest to splice the horn wire off of the relay and run it to the switch from there.

Has anyone ever done this? I'd rather not start cutting wires without consulting someone who's done this before.

------------------
Owner of:

1985 Pontiac Fiero Sport 2.5 liter 5 speed Isuzu
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT 2.8 liter 5 speed Muncie 282

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like an a$$, everyone has one. This is my opinion.
The Grant wheels do have a kit for horn switch.If you insist you can remove the wire from the harness connector at the bottom of the steering collumn. If you remove it from the harness/car side you won't have to cut and can return it to the connector later. All it does is complete the ground for the relay coil.
You would be much better with a momentary button switch rather than a toggle.
There should be 3 wires to the horn relay. A dark green(to horns), Orange from the battery, and a black to the turn signal hazard switch connector at the bottom of the steering collumn. Ground that wire. Horn comes on, you found the wire you want.
Canyonflyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 03:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CanyonflyerSend a Private Message to CanyonflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cmechmann:

Like an a$$, everyone has one. This is my opinion.
The Grant wheels do have a kit for horn switch.If you insist you can remove the wire from the harness connector at the bottom of the steering collumn. If you remove it from the harness/car side you won't have to cut and can return it to the connector later. All it does is complete the ground for the relay coil.
You would be much better with a momentary button switch rather than a toggle.
There should be 3 wires to the horn relay. A dark green(to horns), Orange from the battery, and a black to the turn signal hazard switch connector at the bottom of the steering collumn. Ground that wire. Horn comes on, you found the wire you want.

It's not the Grant wheel that is the issue... I'm aware of their kit... It's the quick release hub that has no provision for a horn switch. I used the wrong term for the toggle. The switch I have I have is a momentary rocker switch. After I posted the original thread I headed to the garage and went digging around. I found all of the wires your talking about. I think I'm going to go at it from the relay end. I can run the wire above the passenger footwell to the center console. I'm fabricating a sheetmetal plate and mounting a kill switch and the horn rocker where the radio and HVAC controls were.

Thanks for the opinion.

------------------
Owner of:

1985 Pontiac Fiero Sport 2.5 liter 5 speed Isuzu
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT 2.8 liter 5 speed Muncie 282

cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2014 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A trunk release switch mounted under the OE one would work and look right.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock