Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Do I need these special washers that came in my strut cam bolt kit?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Do I need these special washers that came in my strut cam bolt kit? by MacGyversMullet
Started on: 01-03-2014 05:58 PM
Replies: 5 (861 views)
Last post by: MacGyversMullet on 01-04-2014 10:53 AM
MacGyversMullet

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacGyversMulletSend a Private Message to MacGyversMulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used strut cam bolt kits before, but they never came with this special washer. It has an oval opening with two tabs. I can see where it would fit into the oval opening on the strut, but the bolt itself won't fit through it completely, the tabs are too long and they seem to just take up space. Do I need these? I have two for each cam bolt. The bolts also came with two flat washers and one locking washer, which I used.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those washers are used in the opened area of the bottom strut bolt hole. When you want to have the strut set neutral. No adjustment for camber. They are installed inside of the other washers. The tabs are bent in on either side of the bolt to take up space. they normally bend back out when removing.
I don't use them. I'd rather have the extra room for adjustment. It is important to make sure the bolts are tight enough, not to allow movement, or your alignment is thrown off.
MacGyversMullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MacGyversMulletSend a Private Message to MacGyversMulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cmechmann:

Those washers are used in the opened area of the bottom strut bolt hole. When you want to have the strut set neutral. No adjustment for camber. They are installed inside of the other washers. The tabs are bent in on either side of the bolt to take up space. they normally bend back out when removing.
I don't use them. I'd rather have the extra room for adjustment. It is important to make sure the bolts are tight enough, not to allow movement, or your alignment is thrown off.

Ahhh, okay. That makes sense. Thanks!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I prefer installing these style camber adjustments bolts.

While technically not required for the job, setting the camber accurately is much easier with them.
With the cam bolts they can hold the camber exactly where needed while tightening the nut.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 01-04-2014).]

gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

While technically not required for the job, setting the camber accurately is much easier with them.
With the cam bolts they can hold the camber exactly where needed while tightening the nut.

Agreed. These work much better. I had a set of the ones feature in the OP, but now have the ones in this post. I like 'em.
MacGyversMullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MacGyversMulletSend a Private Message to MacGyversMulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Yes, I prefer those and that is what I am used to. I was hoping to get those when I ordered them online, but oh well.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock