I need a fatter distributor o-ring. by AL87
Started on: 01-01-2014 03:38 AM
Replies: 8 (514 views)
Last post by: AL87 on 01-01-2014 11:17 AM
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2014 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Click Here to Email AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine: 2.8L V6
the felpro 70800 (stock replacement) distributor o-ring isn't sealing %100 and its leaking oil out of there
I just need a slightly fatter o-ring.

ALSO: the OE distributors come with a distributor sealing gasket. its just a flat standard gasket that goes in between the distributor and where it mounts to the block.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2014 05:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareClick Here to Email MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL87:

the felpro 70800 (stock replacement) distributor o-ring isn't sealing %100 and its leaking oil out of there

ALSO: the OE distributors come with a distributor sealing gasket. its just a flat standard gasket that goes in between the distributor and where it mounts to the block.

Order Rodneys o ring....No more issues

uhlanstan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post01-01-2014 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanClick Here to Email uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodneys thicker O ring solved my oil leak just use some vaseline or other lube when you sli[p it in,,bigger is better ! & when you set the timing check for tight flashes to much mark wandering indicate,s loose timing chain
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2014 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Click Here to Email css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Weird that a new, stock (IE, soft and pliable, not brittle) O-ring won't seal. Be sure you don't have a scratch or gouge down there by the base where oil might be getting by.

A gasket from a Chevy V8 fits, and yes, lots of people use them, but I'm not aware of any 2.8 motors that used them from the factory; just the O-ring. If you do use one, double-check your timing afterwards in case you've squeezed the gasket when you tighten the distributor hold-down bolt.

AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2014 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Click Here to Email AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is the sbc o-ring what Rodney sells?

the motor was rebuilt, it has about 15k on it right now, so I don't think the timing chain is an issue right now.

ALSO, if anyone has ever taken out an original distributor, there should be a base gasket that goes in between the block and distributor, I'm assuming this was supposed to work in conjunction with the o-ring to help seal.

I'll wait for everybody to chime in. but regardless, I'll need to get an o-ring
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2014 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Click Here to Email css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

is the sbc o-ring what Rodney sells?

the motor was rebuilt, it has about 15k on it right now, so I don't think the timing chain is an issue right now.

ALSO, if anyone has ever taken out an original distributor, there should be a base gasket that goes in between the block and distributor, I'm assuming this was supposed to work in conjunction with the o-ring to help seal.

The SBC doesn't use an O-ring, just a gasket. But if you're finding a gasket on your 2.8, its because someone put it there - a previous owner, or more likely, the engine rebuilder. Like I said, there are many who use it - and just as many that do not. It didn't come from GM with a gasket.

The O-ring Rodney sells is the correct one. Buy it. Its also useful on millions of other GM cars, where the old distributor base serves as the oil pump drive. They leak just as bad if the old brittle O-ring fails.

lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2014 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No there should not be a gasket between the distributor base and the block. Other engines do use them, the Chevy 2.8 does not.

To the best of my understanding, the one Rodney sells is not and SBC o-ring, it is a standard o-ring that is made from a better grade of rubber. It will seal better and last longer than any o-ring you'll get from an auto parts store.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 280
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2014 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You want the tan colored Viton o-ring - NAPA has them.
See here: http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/128262.html

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2014 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Click Here to Email AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

You want the tan colored Viton o-ring - NAPA has them.
See here: http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/128262.html

THANKS FOR THE ARTICLE!!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock