Start of a project by kyle griffith
Started on: 12-30-2013 06:33 PM
Replies: 11 (323 views)
Last post by: 420ponies on 12-31-2013 10:20 AM
kyle griffith

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2013 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyle griffithSend a Private Message to kyle griffithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My brother gave my son(15 years old) a fiero gt 1985 4 speed. It looks like I have a year to get this project done (with his help of course). I picked up another 85 gt 4 speed for parts. The project car is in decent shape minimal rust nothing structural the engine was smoking on the start and one header was glowing red ... I pulled the engine found an intake leak ... I took the engine down it looks fine for a rebuild... I don't think my son needs a rocket ship but I want it to sound good... The question is before I put the cash into boring the block rebuilding the heads new pistons ect would we be better off with a different engine? And if so what engine ... I don't want to go overboard with this project but I don't want to put money where it might be better spent elsewhere... I do have a decently equipped garage we just need some experienced guidance...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2013 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3.4L V6 from Camaro or Firebird. Not a complex engine, direct bolt into your vehicle, cost on the low side and better power than what you can get from the 2.8L. You will need to drill the block to relocate the starter, but an installation tool set is available.
kyle griffith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2013 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyle griffithSend a Private Message to kyle griffithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
are all 3.4s the same? or should I look for a specific year?
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2013 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Easiest thng of all to do is to find a 3.1 V6 from an Isuzu, Jeep or Lumina van, they are a direct swap and the starter is on the correct side. They are iron head engines like the Fiero with everything swaping over. Larry
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2013 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kyle griffith:

are all 3.4s the same? or should I look for a specific year?

1993, 1994, or 1995
kyle griffith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2013 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyle griffithSend a Private Message to kyle griffithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the second question is why is the 3.1 or 3.4 better than the 2.8?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2013 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kyle griffith:

the second question is why is the 3.1 or 3.4 better than the 2.8?

The 2.8 is a very durable motor. The others are newer: with incremental improvements, and often can be found for not much $$. It all depends on what's available in your area. You are not interested in more horsepower, so for you it does not matter much, but most on the forum are interested in larger displacement.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2013 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're going to swap in another engine, you might as well go for the 3.4, rather than the 3.1. There are a couple reasons for this. First of all, the 3.4 will generate more torque. Second of all, the 3.4 has improved bottom-end oiling, which improves durability.

Besides, drilling a couple holes isn't hard. Rodney Dickman sells a drill jig that makes it a piece of cake.

Also FYI, GM made three different V6 engines which all displaced 3.4 liters. It's easy to get them confused with each other. The one we're talking about has iron block and heads, and the camshaft in the block. It came in the '93-95 Camaro / Firebird. The other two engines (the 3400 V6 and 3.4 DOHC) can also be swapped into a Fiero, but require more work.
kyle griffith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2013 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyle griffithSend a Private Message to kyle griffithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thank you all.... this is the info I am looking for...
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2013 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, but the 3.1 swap requires near zero mods and includes the improved bottom end and cam oiling and a nice HP bump. Larry
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2013 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:
If you're going to swap in another engine, you might as well go for the 3.4, rather than the 3.1. There are a couple reasons for this. First of all, the 3.4 will generate more torque. Second of all, the 3.4 has improved bottom-end oiling, which improves durability.

Besides, drilling a couple holes isn't hard. Rodney Dickman sells a drill jig that makes it a piece of cake.

Also FYI, GM made three different V6 engines which all displaced 3.4 liters. It's easy to get them confused with each other. The one we're talking about has iron block and heads, and the camshaft in the block. It came in the '93-95 Camaro / Firebird. The other two engines (the 3400 V6 and 3.4 DOHC) can also be swapped into a Fiero, but require more work.

For specifics on actually bringing about a 3.4L "Camarobird" engine swap for a 2.8L Fiero, here is a link to a concisely-written "How-To" article (equivalent to roughly 10 pages of hard copy, not hundreds): http://fiero34swap.eleventenths.org. Written by PFF member, crazyd, and titled, "Fiero 3.4 F-Body Engine Conversion", that article is an updated version of what I relied upon in late 2006 for my own 3.4L engine swap.

That 3.4L engine swap was completed New Year's Eve, 2006 --- exactly 7 years ago --- and I'm pleased to note that its 3.4L engine still starts and runs far better than I do at -150F.

Incidentally, I suggest you not throw away your `85 Fiero 2.8L engine just yet. Some of its parts (e.g., the intake manifold and the oil pan, if they're in good shape) can be transferred to the 3.4L engine --- as is pointed out in the article I mentioned above.

Also, if they're in better shape than the 3.4L engine's are, the 2.8L Fiero cylinder heads could be used instead of the 3.4L heads, because they're identical in their design, as is the camshaft of both engines.

In any case, good luck to you with your 3.4L engine swap project, and welcome to Pennock's Fiero Forum!

[This message has been edited by project34 (edited 12-31-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
420ponies

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2013 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 420poniesSend a Private Message to 420poniesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kyle you have a PM

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock