Umm... Not sure what to think about this by don297
Started on: 12-29-2013 05:12 PM
Replies: 3 (388 views)
Last post by: smartaxel on 12-29-2013 10:22 PM
don297

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2013 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for don297Send a Private Message to don297Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I took the 4t65e-hd tranny to the car wash and pressure washed it, but the axle holes and hole for the torque converter weren't plugged, so water may have gotten inside. Not sure if this ruined the tranny or not? No one told me that water could ruin it until after. I'm really scared that I may have ruined a perfectly good tranny! Not sure what to do...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2013 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by don297:

So I took the 4t65e-hd tranny to the car wash and pressure washed it, but the axle holes and hole for the torque converter weren't plugged, so water may have gotten inside. Not sure if this ruined the tranny or not? No one told me that water could ruin it until after. I'm really scared that I may have ruined a perfectly good tranny! Not sure what to do...

Well, you don't want water in there because you certainly don't want rust.

In my opinion, I would try to drain it as best as I could, and then stick a hair-dryer into one of the axle holes. Eventually it will dry out. Then I'd spray the hell out of the inside (every hole) with WD-40. WD-40 obviously isn't the most ideal thing to use, but it'll coat it and prevent it from getting moisture.

You've not ruined anything, so don't worry about it.

But when you do install it, you'll want to change the fluid after a few runs. Kind of a waste of transmission fluid... but you just don't want any crap in there.
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2013 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I doubt that you did any serious harm to your transmission. If the trans were to have water added and then driven it might tear up parts due to lack of lubrication. At this point the water is in the trans, but it has not circulated, but you want to get it all out. Leaving the water inside could cause corrosion to parts if it sits too long. Remove the side cover/oil pan and drain out all the transmission oil/water inside. Tip the trans left, right, upside down, etc. to ensure that all the water has been removed. You might even want to bolt it back together (stuff rags or something in the axle shaft holes), add a few quarts of ATF, turn it over a few times and remove the oil pan again to drain out the ATF. If you end up with a small amount of water (a tablespoon full) in there somewhere it will boil out after the car is driven.
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2013 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a used trans and the yard power washed it. When i got it to the shop to install, there was a ton of water inside. They had to pull the pan and side cover to drain it and dry it . I woud follow GTO's advice above

[This message has been edited by smartaxel (edited 12-29-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock