Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Formula Wheel Advice.... Sparco Terra

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version


next newest topic | next oldest topic
Formula Wheel Advice.... Sparco Terra by eunospeed
Started on: 12-28-2013 10:47 PM
Replies: 16 (893 views)
Last post by: carbon on 03-04-2014 02:06 PM
eunospeed
Member
Posts: 342
From: Lexington, KY
Registered: Sep 2002


Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2013 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eunospeedClick Here to Email eunospeedSend a Private Message to eunospeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys, starting to get serious about a wheel upgrade. I'm thinking about 16's up front and 17's in back. The proper fit is just as important as look and as much as I like a nice tuner wheel I'm thinking of something unexpected. The Sparco Terra is one I'm considering in 16x7 (50mm offset) for the front and 17x7.5 (48mm offset) for the rear. My Formula is silver so I would consider gold, black or gray. I know everyone will have opinions over style but my main concerns are: 1) How well will they fit? 2) What summer tires will make a nice match?

Other considerations, from the best I can find out they don't come in black so I would have to paint them. Also, Tirerack only has the gold ones in 17". So I might get the gray and either paint them or live with them.

This is a big decision so I won't be in a hurry. My next step will be to photoshop them onto my car very soon. Once I have reasonable image I will let you know. Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FierOmar
Member
Posts: 1604
From: Glendale, California, USA
Registered: Dec 2001


Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2013 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarClick Here to Email FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by eunospeed:

Guys, starting to get serious about a wheel upgrade. I'm thinking about 16's up front and 17's in back. The proper fit is just as important as look and as much as I like a nice tuner wheel I'm thinking of something unexpected. The Sparco Terra is one I'm considering in 16x7 (50mm offset) for the front and 17x7.5 (48mm offset) for the rear. My Formula is silver so I would consider gold, black or gray. I know everyone will have opinions over style but my main concerns are: 1) How well will they fit? 2) What summer tires will make a nice match?

Other considerations, from the best I can find out they don't come in black so I would have to paint them. Also, Tirerack only has the gold ones in 17". So I might get the gray and either paint them or live with them.

This is a big decision so I won't be in a hurry. My next step will be to photoshop them onto my car very soon. Once I have reasonable image I will let you know. Thanks!



You did not specify the year, but since you did mention that it is a Formula, I will assume it is an 88 for the moment. Remember, stock 88 Formula wheels were 15x7 rear with +30mm offset and 15x6 front with +37 offset on the front. (Pre 88 with V6 used the same 15x7 on all 4 corners.) I would consider using a similar offset for your new wheels. I would also consider using 17" wheels on all four corners for two reasons: (1) in today's world, there is likely to be a better selection of wheels available, and (2) there is a better selection of good summer (high performance) tires available in 17" sizes. Check out the Hankook RS3 for example. You can stagged the tire sizes and accomplish the same purpose (whether it be appearance, performance, or both). The actual style of the wheel is always a matter of personal preference.

------------------
FierOmar

IP: Logged
David Hambleton
Member
Posts: 1441
From: Stoney Creek Ontario Canada
Registered: Nov 2012


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2013 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonClick Here to Email David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a link to a view of Sparco Terra wheels on a Fiero:

http://www.tirerack.com/whe...95&grid=true&sw=1024
IP: Logged
Raydar
Member
Posts: 38538
From: Carrollton GA. Out in the... country.
Registered: Oct 1999


Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2013 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're going 7" wide with a 50mm offset, you probably want to run at least a 17" wheel. The inner edge of the 16s will likely scrape the control arms in tight turns. I have 17x7s with 48mm offset on the front of mine, and they're very close.

For reference...
17x7, 48mm on the front. 215/45-17
17x8, 35mm on the rear. 235/45-17

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 12-29-2013).]

IP: Logged
eunospeed
Member
Posts: 342
From: Lexington, KY
Registered: Sep 2002


Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2013 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eunospeedClick Here to Email eunospeedSend a Private Message to eunospeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Raydar, nice pic of your car. Proves a 7" wide wheel with a 48mm offset looks great up front. Thanks for the advice about A arm interference with a 16" wheel. It's so hard to find a nice wheel that works good for the front and rear of an 88. I'll keep looking.....
IP: Logged
eunospeed
Member
Posts: 342
From: Lexington, KY
Registered: Sep 2002


Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2013 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eunospeedClick Here to Email eunospeedSend a Private Message to eunospeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by FierOmar:
You did not specify the year, but since you did mention that it is a Formula, I will assume it is an 88 for the moment. Remember, stock 88 Formula wheels were 15x7 rear with +30mm offset and 15x6 front with +37 offset on the front. (Pre 88 with V6 used the same 15x7 on all 4 corners.) I would consider using a similar offset for your new wheels. I would also consider using 17" wheels on all four corners for two reasons: (1) in today's world, there is likely to be a better selection of wheels available, and (2) there is a better selection of good summer (high performance) tires available in 17" sizes. Check out the Hankook RS3 for example. You can stagged the tire sizes and accomplish the same purpose (whether it be appearance, performance, or both). The actual style of the wheel is always a matter of personal preference.




Yeah, I've heard great things about the RS3's. Your input on 17's all around is not a bad idea.... Now the trick is finding some.

IP: Logged
ennored
Member
Posts: 99
From: Pontiac, Michigan
Registered: Jan 2012


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2013 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ennoredSend a Private Message to ennoredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not saying it's ideal, or for you, or that I've even seen it done but since you are sort of dreaming....

What I'd like is a set of 16x8 Grand Prix mesh wheels (1990ish) that would replicate the stock look, but let me run 16" tires. I have 17x7 Scion wheels on my Formula now, and while they look good, and drive nice, they just seem a bit out of place. The Grand Prix wheels would look stock to 90% (or more) of the folks that would look.

Yeah 5x115 bolt pattern, easy to redrill up front, tougher, but not impossible out back.

[This message has been edited by ennored (edited 12-31-2013).]

IP: Logged
eunospeed
Member
Posts: 342
From: Lexington, KY
Registered: Sep 2002


Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2013 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eunospeedClick Here to Email eunospeedSend a Private Message to eunospeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fact is there's just not a lot of options. When I find a wheel that fits up front, it won't fit the rear and so on...... The Enkei SR6 is a nice looking wheel but with a 45mm offset and 7" wide on a 16" wheel I fear they will contact the control arms up front. Like Raydar said, I'd be best served to have a 17" up front but I really don't want 18" wheels in the rear. The cars just look better IMO, with a little more tire sidewall. Guess I'm going to crawl under her soon and do some measuring.
IP: Logged
FieroBobo
Member
Posts: 683
From: Verona, NJ
Registered: Mar 2007


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboClick Here to Email FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
eunospeed
..I'm considering in 16x7 (50mm offset) for the front and 17x7.5 (48mm offset) for the rear...

Here's some info that may prove helpful.
. .I have 16x7" wheels with a +48mm offset on all 4 corners of my 1988 GT.
. .I'm running 225/50-16 tires up front, with 245/50-16 tires on the rear.
. .I have had no problems with tires rubbing or wheels hitting suspension parts.

Here is a link to a good tire comparison tool that you might want to use to evaluate your proposed wheel/tire combination: http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Here is another link to a wheel offset diagram posted by Joe Torma, that may also help, http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/058236.html

My 16x7" +48mm wheels up front work just fine so your 16x7" +50mm wheels with only 2mm more offset should work pretty well also.
Remember that 25.4mm = 1 inch. So 2mm = .079 inches (less than 1/8" = .125")
Your choice of 17x7.5" +48 rear wheels will probably work as well.

I would suggest you send a PM to Fieroguru or Bloozberry, ask them for advice they are two of the most knowledgable guys here on the Forum.

Good luck please keep us posted on your decisions and progress.

~ Bob ~
Edit to pluralize "guy".
------------------
"Its nice to be important.
Its more important to be nice."

[This message has been edited by FieroBobo (edited 01-02-2014).]

IP: Logged
eunospeed
Member
Posts: 342
From: Lexington, KY
Registered: Sep 2002


Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eunospeedClick Here to Email eunospeedSend a Private Message to eunospeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Bob, thanks for the input. I've been communicating with Guru quite a bit with my biggest concern is being able to run his big brake kit in the future. As a result, he's recommending a 17" front as well. Send a pic of your setup if you get a chance to eunospeed@msn.com
IP: Logged
eunospeed
Member
Posts: 342
From: Lexington, KY
Registered: Sep 2002


Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eunospeedClick Here to Email eunospeedSend a Private Message to eunospeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, been looking and now I'm leaning toward this wheel.... http://www.discounttiredire...20&typ=Car%2FMinivan
Comes in 16x7 in a 40mm offset up front and 17x8 in a 40mm offset for the rear. Not perfect but pretty close and priced right too. Tire pic would be 205/50 up front and 245/45 in back.
BTW, I really like the flat black wheel look, especially on my silver formula. Thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick
Member
Posts: 30754
From: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Registered: Apr 99


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 443
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by FierOmar:

You did not specify the year, but since you did mention that it is a Formula, I will assume it is an 88 for the moment.


Wasn't the Formula only offered in '88?

Whenever I mention my '88 Formula (around Fiero people), I always feel like I'm being redundant.
IP: Logged
eunospeed
Member
Posts: 342
From: Lexington, KY
Registered: Sep 2002


Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eunospeedClick Here to Email eunospeedSend a Private Message to eunospeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes sir, being a Formula makes it an 88 ;-)
IP: Logged
ennored
Member
Posts: 99
From: Pontiac, Michigan
Registered: Jan 2012


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ennoredSend a Private Message to ennoredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sort of related, some Terras for sale:

http://www.roadraceautox.co...ra-wheels-5x100-50mm
IP: Logged
eunospeed
Member
Posts: 342
From: Lexington, KY
Registered: Sep 2002


Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eunospeedClick Here to Email eunospeedSend a Private Message to eunospeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info.... Guys dreaming to ask $500 for used Terra's. Can buy them new for a few more bucks, plus their white ;-(
IP: Logged
eunospeed
Member
Posts: 342
From: Lexington, KY
Registered: Sep 2002


Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eunospeedClick Here to Email eunospeedSend a Private Message to eunospeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a pic of the Rage R20.......
IP: Logged
carbon
Member
Posts: 4767
From: Eagan, MN
Registered: Apr 2004


Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by eunospeed:

Fact is there's just not a lot of options. When I find a wheel that fits up front, it won't fit the rear and so on...... The Enkei SR6 is a nice looking wheel but with a 45mm offset and 7" wide on a 16" wheel I fear they will contact the control arms up front. Like Raydar said, I'd be best served to have a 17" up front but I really don't want 18" wheels in the rear. The cars just look better IMO, with a little more tire sidewall. Guess I'm going to crawl under her soon and do some measuring.


It just takes some extra work... but as far as measuring goes... just look at this pic... it will show you the placement compared to stock for various widths and offsets.
IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay



Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock