License plate and frame by Harold James Kie
Started on: 12-27-2013 08:57 PM
Replies: 2 (442 views)
Last post by: Spoon on 12-28-2013 09:41 PM
Harold James Kie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2013 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harold James KieSend a Private Message to Harold James KieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is an idea to make the front of your Fiero (or any car) look a bit better if you live in a state that requires a front license plate. Start by removing the plate and clean it. Then with a pair of snips or good quality scissors cut the plate down to the indentation that runs along the full perimeter of the plate. Be careful not to bend the plate as it is aluminum and very prone to bending. This will remove about 1/4 inch on each edge and you can go a bit more but you will lose some of the strength of the plate without the bevel in it. Your license plate will measure approximately 11.375" by 5.375" (Again, you can trim it down even more but you may need to drill new mounting holes.) which is not a lot but it is a subtle improvement from the original with the border around it. Use a flat file and carefully clean the edge so there are no sharp edges or burrs. Make it straight. Now to frame it, if you can weld aluminum you can make your own frame of your own design ( I did one on my Impala and I had a sheet of .125 aluminum laser cut to outline the numbers and the word "California" and then I hand filed it to put a softer edge on all of the openings. I then made a border from .125 by .750 aluminum flat stock that I bent around a piece of wood cut to the size of the plate and welded it together.) Purchase several (4 pieces 12 inches long will do if you don't make any cutting errors) of .250 aluminum tubing from a good hobby store and cut a slit in it length ways with a dremel cutting tool. Use the metal cut off wheel and be careful not to go too deep and cut through to the opposite side. Keep it straight! Use a three point file and clean it up so there are no sharp edges. Mark it for length and cut the ends on a 45 degree angle to miter the corners together. Use a file to perfect it so there are no gaps. Trial fit to make sure it is correct and the ends are aligned. Put some metal adhesive in the groove and press it on the the edge of the license plate and let it set up. Now use some aluminum polish and buff the tubing out to a chrome like shine. Make sure that there is no residual polish on the tubing (Corn starch will remove any polish) and spray it with a protective clear finish so the aluminum will not dull out. The polished tubing will be your new license plate frame.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2013 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Use PIP to post images.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2013 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Altering a state issued license plate in Pennsylvania probably wouldn't "CUT IT" even though we only have a rear plate.
If your insurance expires while holding a valid plate, that plate must be sent back to Penn-DOT. I can only imagine the tizzy a trimmed down plate would bring upon it's reception.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock