seat substitutions by Jecklen16
Started on: 12-26-2013 10:34 AM
Replies: 45 (2274 views)
Last post by: Mickey_Moose on 01-16-2024 05:37 PM
Jecklen16

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jecklen16Send a Private Message to Jecklen16Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 85 gt 2.8 and my seats are destroyed. Fiero replacements are really expensive so I've been looking into cheaper generic seats on eBay or what not. Any suggestions?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sunfire seats bolt in without mods. Just need to use Fiero seat tracks.
LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 1993 Vette Sport seats using the Fiero tracks.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350...id=p3984.m1423.l2649

Has anyone Tried These ?? was wondering if they'd be "comfortable"
Jecklen16

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jecklen16Send a Private Message to Jecklen16Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya I was curious as to if those could work too. Way cheaper. Sunfire seats work? I'll check the prices on those.
Jecklen16

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jecklen16Send a Private Message to Jecklen16Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jecklen16

71 posts
Member since Oct 2013
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a few major things that you have to consider with changing to racing seats. The width has to fit between the center console and the parking brake handle, the shoulder bolsters have to be smaller otherwise they extend over the middle portion of the console you will not be able to open your center console door, and the height usually is too high. The seats almost hit the roof. Here are a few pics that I found:

These are the Sparco seats and they fit fine:

These are other seats that fit good:

These do not allow the parking brake to be used. Notice the flare out of the seat bottom:

You can see how tall these are and how they block the center console door:

The big difference is that the first 2 photos are a more narrow seat and the shoulder bolsters angle forward where the generic Made in Japan seats are too wide.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

10263 posts
Member since Aug 2007
These should work a little better. They have a very narrow seat bottom:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-P...p=mtr#ht_3954wt_1105
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jecklen16:

Ya I was curious as to if those could work too. Way cheaper. Sunfire seats work? I'll check the prices on those.

Yes. Sunfire seats fit. You also have the benefit of a nice recliner handle and shoulder belt loop. $50/pair at Pick 'n Pull yards. Just unbolt the Sunfire seat tracks, bolt on the Fiero seat tracks and bolt back on the floorboard.
Jecklen16

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jecklen16Send a Private Message to Jecklen16Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which year of sunfire
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jecklen16:

Which year of sunfire

Any. The J-body was stagnant for the 10 years before the Cobalt/G5...
PFF
System Bot
Jecklen16

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jecklen16Send a Private Message to Jecklen16Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow you weren't joking, those are really cheap. They don't look half bad either! This probably a no, but do the seat belts fit the fiero? Thanks very much for all your help BTW.
mickeyswing52

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mickeyswing52Send a Private Message to mickeyswing52Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got 1995 Sunfire seats like new from a Pick & Pull for $25.00 each. Bolt right up to the Fiero tracks Charcoal grey with black specks look good and are very comfortable.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heh.....I find it funny that a lot of hot rodders and even old British car owners install Fiero seats into their rides because of how comfortable they are while a lot of Fiero owners remove theirs and install something completely different for the same reason.

Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

These should work a little better. They have a very narrow seat bottom:
[URL=http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PAIR-UNIVERSAL-LIGHT-FULLY-RECLINABLE-RACING-WOVEN-SEATS-SLIDER-TYPE-F1-BLACK-/190715942517?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c678e5675&vxp=mtr#ht_3954wt_1105]http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-P...p=mtr#ht_3954wt_1105[/ URL]

I had a set very similar to these seats and they were very comfortable however, the material does not wear well. Getting in or out you have to turn your butt pretty much 90* while still seated and the fabric of the actual seat pad wears smooth and shiny very quickly. Mine only lasted 3 summers.

DF
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

Heh.....I find it funny that a lot of hot rodders and even old British car owners install Fiero seats into their rides because of how comfortable they are while a lot of Fiero owners remove theirs and install something completely different for the same reason.

I put in the Sunfire seats as a temporary measure until I put aside the $800 for a set of Mr. Mike's. He has great seat covers, but they ain't cheap. The original post says his seats are destroyed. Probably not that comfortable.
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Firebird seats
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
grkboy707 you have a PM.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2013 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
C4 seats work well and I use them in one of the Meras.

Nelson
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2013 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any year sunfire, yes $50 Pair.(but they don't offer much Support. ) Keep in mind, you may want to grab 2 Passenger seat "bottoms" so they are not all "concave" from wear. The FOAM is the same for either side
Nate9900

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2013 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nate9900Send a Private Message to Nate9900Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought I would piggy back off of this thread. Has anyone ever put Chrysler Crossfire seats in a Fiero? I searched the archives and didn't come up with anything. They appear narrow enough and look sharp, but wasn't sure about the seat height given the lack of dimension information available online. Thanks in advance-
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2014 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
don't the "Racing seats" upper bolsters "Limit" you shoulder /arm movement especially with manual steering ?
420ponies

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2014 05:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 420poniesSend a Private Message to 420poniesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have '07 tiburon buckets w/fiero tracks. fit very well with some good side support built in
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the Tiberon seats are real comfortable, IF you can Find a set.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a stage back some years where I had some abdominal pain. I couldnt even set in a recliner in the living room for long without hurting. Even lying down would sometimes be painful. When It got unbearable I found going out for a few hour drive in my Fiero relieved it very well. I made many long trips, non stop except for gas without feeling uncomfortable. Like to Dallas and back to Columbus over a weekend, or straight thru from here to Carlisle. Either of my Corvettes, I couldnt stand to sit in for more than 2-3 hours without an hour break even though the seats look very similar.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 01-04-2014).]

fffttt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fffttt1Send a Private Message to fffttt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Installed some Dodge Neon SRT4 seats in my '87 GT. I like them.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 420ponies:

I have '07 tiburon buckets w/fiero tracks. fit very well with some good side support built in

I was thinking as I read down through the thread "Didn't someone put the Tiburon seats in with success?". Those actually looked pretty nice to.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 01-04-2014).]

Banshee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BansheeClick Here to visit Banshee's HomePageSend a Private Message to BansheeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some users mentioned other seats they have installed. How about some pics to match the recommendations guys?
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are there any Bone yard seats that are both "Cushy/Soft" like a Caddy seat AND also have some "support" for holding you in a tight curve ? OR, Has anyone tried Adding an inch of Memory Foam onto a Fiero seat (under the upholstery) ? The leather seats in my '87GT are hard as a rock ! (could use new upholstery anyway) Just can't afford to drop $400 for seat covers and still not be comfortable.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had Camero seats in a F308 rebody that I sold a few years ago. I likely can find a few photos of the seats (gray leather) if anyone would like to see them.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 12-07-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-07-2014 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Are there any Bone yard seats that are both "Cushy/Soft" like a Caddy seat AND also have some "support" for holding you in a tight curve ? OR, Has anyone tried Adding an inch of Memory Foam onto a Fiero seat (under the upholstery) ? The leather seats in my '87GT are hard as a rock ! (could use new upholstery anyway) Just can't afford to drop $400 for seat covers and still not be comfortable.

94-01 Acura Integra seats are pretty comfy, and have decent bolstering for a street car. They're not too big, so should fit pretty well in a Fiero, with appropriate brackets or such to mount to the rails. But you'll sit slightly higher with them as well.

Seats out of a Honda del Sol, S2000, or NSX will keep the lower seating position though. Like the Fiero, they are just a bunch of foam on top of the pan. The Integra seats, and many other modern compact/commuter car seats, have some springs across the pan under the cushion, which results in a higher seating position, but I find they tend to feel more comfortable as well.

PFF
System Bot
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive seen a few with trans am seats, they have good bolstering plus they are
Keeping it in the pontiac family
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 03:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtoformula:

Or a Cavalier. Here are my sons Cavalier seat, you need to remove the seat belt bracket at the head rest though.

Jim

busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive seen a few with trans am seats, they have good bolstering plus they are
Keeping it in the pontiac family
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2014 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I Have 1996 Firebird seats in my 85 coupe, they are "pretty Comfortable", bolt right in, and at $50 a pair..... Thinking of putting 1-2 inches of Memory Foam onto the stock '87 Fiero seats before re upholstering (1987 GT 3800SC). stock leather seats are Too HARD. Anyone know what a "Reasonable "price is to have a pair of stock seats done in naugahyde ? (Not vinyl, naugahyde stretches)
richard in nc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2023 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for richard in ncSend a Private Message to richard in ncEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

i lke the fiero seat.but its trashed.
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2023 05:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtoformula:

Sunfire / Caviler sets do in fact bolt right in, but they suck. Speaking from experience, been there, did that.
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2023 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

richard in nc:
i lke the fiero seat.but its trashed.

Check Out MrMikes Site:
Fiero Seat Foam Repair
http://www.mrmikes.com/fieroseatfoamrepair.htm

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

richard in nc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2023 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for richard in ncSend a Private Message to richard in ncEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i tried to swap seat back covers with the pass seat from my parts car.way too difficult.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2023 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! I didn't know you can revive a thread that is almost ten years old!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock