Building exhause 3800 sc by Merlinhaggard
Started on: 12-24-2013 05:44 PM
Replies: 8 (323 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 12-25-2013 02:04 PM
Merlinhaggard

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a spin off of my 308 Thread... Im getting ready to start putting my exhaust together and am hoping for some guidance. Below are ome pics of what I have. Spintek muffler, cat converter and a set of exhaust I bought from the flea mkt. $20 for the set. Figured I might be able to rob them. I was thinking of goin from the downpipe to a u into the cat converter, into the muffler. Then out of each side of the muffler over to the 90 then back to the resonators from the flea mkt exhaust out to dual tips. Does this sound crazy o reasonable? Thanks guys!!!!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make that exhausT dont know how to edit the topic..
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made what you are describing WITHOUT the cat. I don't think theres enough ROOM for Both the Cat and the muffler unless you lose the TRUNK !
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do I need the cat being an 85 GT. Also what would it take to get rid of the EGR? Does anyone know of a thread for the removal of it?

hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Merlinhaggard:

Do I need the cat being an 85 GT. Also what would it take to get rid of the EGR? Does anyone know of a thread for the removal of it?

for the cat, depends on how your cars registered and your local laws.
for the EGR, just cap it off, and program it out of the ECU.

Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2013 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the test for Texas..
Two Speed Idle Test
The Two-Speed Idle test is a tailpipe emissions test. This means the analyzer measures exhaust emissions directly from the vehicle's tailpipe with the engine idling at a high and then low speed. TSI measures most of the common factors contributing to the formation of lung damaging ground level ozone.

A vehicle will fail the test if there are excessive amounts of hydrocarbons or carbon monoxide. TSI is used for older vehicles that are not equipped with the advanced on-board diagnostic computer system.

A Few Reasons Why A Vehicle May Fail the ASM2 Test

Excessive Hydrocarbons (HC):
High hydrocarbon emissions result when fuel in the engine does not burn completely. HC in the presence of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) and sunlight may form ground-level ozone, a major component of urban smog. Check the following:
Internal Engine Problems
Faulty Air Pump
Ignition System
Exhaust Gas Recirculation System (EGR)
Catalytic Converter
Gas Cap
Excessive Carbon Monoxide (CO):
A rich fuel mixture can cause high amounts of carbon monoxide, which can occur when there is too much or too little air reaching the combustion chamber. Check the following:
Misadjusted Carburetor
Faulty Fuel Injection System
Worn Rings/Valve Guides
Air Pump System
Excessive Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx):
High NOx can occur when there is excessive temperature in the combustion chamber or a damaged catalytic converter.
Check the following:
Air Injection System
Exhaust Gas Recirculation System (EGR)
Combustion Chamber Deposits
Oxygen Sensor
Catalytic Converter
Diagnostics for NOx failures

OVERALL
Check for causes of high combustion temperatures. Primary systems that affect NOx include:
Mixture control (lean)
EGR
Ignition
Check Catalytic Converter

[This message has been edited by Merlinhaggard (edited 12-25-2013).]

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2013 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never had a exhaust sniff in either fiero I own. They just check it out a lot (I think it is because of the 3800sc in there ) and talk, talk then slap a sticker on and watch me take off! They do not even look for a cat, just lights, wipers, brakes,etc. I just go to a mom and pop type of inspection place. Big name places will try to go by the book. The total outcome is getting a sticker, why fight with big name places...

Merry Xmas!

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. 12" Vette Rotors,Custom stuff done

Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2013 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ill go with that. Thanks. I dont want to put the cat on it either way...
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2013 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
where I grew up there was a "$10 inspection and a $20 inspection ! $20 being : " ya drove it in ,drive it out" LOL

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock