Steering column trouble by Odin
Started on: 12-23-2013 08:47 PM
Replies: 2 (148 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 12-24-2013 10:08 AM
Odin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OdinSend a Private Message to OdinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy holidays everyone. I'm having difficulty with my tilt steering column. Problem started a while ago when I couldn't get the keys out of the ignition. Went to pull them out and literally had to force the lock back to the position where it will allow you to pull them out. So I purchased the correct tools to pull the wheel and lock plate as well as a new ignition lock. I got to the point where I was able to replace the old lock with the new one, and the problem does not seem to be the lock at all. It seems to be the pin which locks the wheel completely. The pin will retract down into the column with the keys forward in the "on" position but when the key is turned back toward the off or accessory position it will just stop shy of were it will engage the lock plate (I cannot get the ignition lock to go into accessory at all it is totally jammed in that direction). It seems that something is jamming the lock plate pin from poping up. I'm getting the same symptoms with both the old ignition lock and the new one so somewhere in the column there is a worn part causing the issue. Anyone had anything similar? Anyone experienced with steering columns please chime in. I don't want to dig too deep into the thing and end up with bb's rolling around my cabin floor.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These pics may help. Might have a broken spring causing no pin return.

Heres a link to the full article.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...L/088020-3.html#p111

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

These pics may help. Might have a broken spring causing no pin return.

Heres a link to the full article.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...L/088020-3.html#p111

Spoon

True of the locking pin but that shouldn't stop the key switch from going into the accessory position. sounds more like the lower switch is messed up. I had the same problem with the one in my yard plow truck and it was the lower ignition switch itself. it was misaligned on the lower column and wasn't allowing it to go back far enough to go to the accessory position. Yours could be a bend rod as well, the dam things can get jammed inside the column as well. disconnect the rod from the lower electrical switch and try to put the key into accessory position without anything attached on the lower end. if it goes into acc. your problem is somewhere else. That should also allow the pin to move into position to lock the wheel if its not the pin spring.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock