Headlight motor by Zeak
Started on: 12-22-2013 10:50 PM
Replies: 2 (129 views)
Last post by: Old Lar on 12-23-2013 09:24 AM
Zeak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZeakSend a Private Message to ZeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had my Fiero for about 2 weeks now. I've had fun fixing her up and reading all of the helpful things on here.
She's an 88 with a 2.5 and a 5 speed.
New valve cover gasket, upper engine brace, and other odds and ends.
Also fixed the driver side outside door handle. (reaching thou the passenger side to open it got old fast)
I found that a common issue is the headlight motors either binding or wearing out from improper care.

I had hoped to give something back to you guys for all or the problems you've helped me prevent.

When dissembling the motor, you may haft to pull the the copper coil from the base where the brushes are.
When you reassemble this part, it outright stinks.
I found that if you unbend some keyring snap hooks the right way. you can use them to hold the brushes in place while you slide everything back together. When the motor base is to the point where you can re-install the screws. just turn the clips and it will release.
I hope this helps someone.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That method is about the best and easiest method. Years ago when I rebuilt the motors on my 87, I fought and fought with the first motor and finally had to get the wife to help me. On the 2nd motor, I devised something similar using one of the larger paper clips. I still have those two pieces in my arsenal of tools for some reason, but I really never expect to need to use them again. Thanks for sharing with everyone.
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The last time I tried to rebuild the passenger side headlight motor the brushes came out and I lost one. Trying to find a replacements impossible. Fortunately I had a rebuilt one on the shelf so I installed that. The other motor went into a plastic bag, as it already had new bushings in it. Sometime I'll get another set of brushes to put the other motor back together.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock