Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Will a MSD Ignition Box work on 87 fiero gt?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Will a MSD Ignition Box work on 87 fiero gt? by FieroGT-987
Started on: 12-20-2013 12:25 PM
Replies: 17 (543 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 12-22-2013 07:59 AM
FieroGT-987

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I might buy one today.. Wondering if its an easy i stall and if anyone had problems. Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-20-2013 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They will work, yes. They aren't very hard to install. But it's a waste of money on a stock Fiero.

Unless you've swapped in a high performance build of a 3.4 or something similar, you shouldn't bother with the MSD ignition box.
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am installing it because I am bored and want to see if it helps at all.. If not ill return it! It was half off anyway
I am just confused on how to wire it to the distributor..

[This message has been edited by FieroGT-987 (edited 12-20-2013).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MSD sells a GM adapter which makes the install super simple, plug & play

but - overall - it will do not much for a stock setup. Putting in the GM Blaster coil does help a little in the upper R's, but, being the stock intake begins to choke at the same point the MSD coil starts to help - it is kinda moot.

essentially, adding a MSD box to stock/mostly stock 2.8 is just adding another point of failure.

also - make sure you improve the ignition wires. the increased power WILL blast thru stock cables and cause misses. and it will burn dist caps quicker.

but, as long as the ignition system can handle it - you will actually have a smoother feeling idle and a sharper feeling throttle, maybe even a slight exhaust note change for the better. Tho, not sure if that was placebo......
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-20-2013 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

MSD sells a GM adapter which makes the install super simple, plug & play

but - overall - it will do not much for a stock setup. Putting in the GM Blaster coil does help a little in the upper R's, but, being the stock intake begins to choke at the same point the MSD coil starts to help - it is kinda moot.

essentially, adding a MSD box to stock/mostly stock 2.8 is just adding another point of failure.

also - make sure you improve the ignition wires. the increased power WILL blast thru stock cables and cause misses. and it will burn dist caps quicker.

but, as long as the ignition system can handle it - you will actually have a smoother feeling idle and a sharper feeling throttle, maybe even a slight exhaust note change for the better. Tho, not sure if that was placebo......

Like he said. It's not going to do anything good for you on a stock engine/wiring. You might burn some wires up, and burn through distributor cap faster.

And the exhaust note was probably a placebo, unless you changed timing in any significant way (which you'll also have to do to make any real use of the MSD box).
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got one on mine, and I'm running a gap close to .060 with half the plug electrode chopped off.

nothing noticable at the drag strip though.

its mostly good for turbo and nitrous applications...

probably will increase mpg a little.
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did the little side wheel well air intake mod where you remove the restrictive plastic tube.. Put straight pipe in there.. Now it sucks air more haha. Also have mo cats and straight through muffler. Now I finished installing the MSD Ignition and believe it or not there is actually a slight (very small) noticable gain in takeoff and pull from 60-80
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-20-2013 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGT-987:

I did the little side wheel well air intake mod where you remove the restrictive plastic tube.. Put straight pipe in there.. Now it sucks air more haha. Also have mo cats and straight through muffler. Now I finished installing the MSD Ignition and believe it or not there is actually a slight (very small) noticable gain in takeoff and pull from 60-80

Total placebo. It's just louder, not faster.
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Youre probably right lol. I should have done a before and after.. Before I did the few things that are done to it. I am going to continue to do little things like this and the exhaust and intake that I have already "modded". If anyone has any ideas that I can do or get done for a few hundred, your ideas are welcome! Any throttle body mods or anything like that ?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-20-2013 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Youre probably right lol. I should have done a before and after.. Before I did the few things that are done to it. I am going to continue to do little things like this and the exhaust and intake that I have already "modded". If anyone has any ideas that I can do or get done for a few hundred, your ideas are welcome! Any throttle body mods or anything like that ?

Why are you so obsessed with trying to squeeze more power out of a tired stock 2.8? Like I said, you're better off saving your money, and using it for proper maintenance of the vehicle, replacing worn out components, and doing a swap for more power when you can finally afford it.
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Because I am a typical teenager that gets paychecks and likes to spend them. And just so happen to be obsessed with messing with my cars in my spare time. Haha

[This message has been edited by FieroGT-987 (edited 12-20-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2013 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Honestly the MSD ignition did help out.
I used the upgraded model (normally $250)
Low and Mid Range was definitely better. When it shifts gears (auto trans) it really jumps into the next one and gets goin.
Not my imagination. Had brother drive it without me telling him that it was on. It screams even louder than before too haha.

[This message has been edited by FieroGT-987 (edited 12-21-2013).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-21-2013 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Honestly the MSD ignition did help out.
I used the upgraded model (normally $250)
Low and Mid Range was definitely better. When it shifts gears (auto trans) it really jumps into the next one and gets goin.
Not my imagination. Had brother drive it without me telling him that it was on. It screams even louder than before too haha.

They do have part numbers. It would help the conversation if you stated accurately which exact part number you are using. And if you got any gain at all from it on a stock engine, it's because other maintenance items need to be replaced anyway. A stronger ignition pushing more power through the components will just make them burn out faster. If pushing more power made your engine seem like it runs better, it's simply because more of the electricity was able to make it all the way through the connections, and past any carbon deposits or such, where the stock system was lacking. All that means is that your stock parts are worn out and need to be replaced. It doesn't mean the MSD is actually helping.

And since you finally mentioned you have the auto trans, it's going to generally "feel" quick anyway, because it only has 3 gears, and no overdrive. Top gear is 1.00:1.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2013 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't bother... this is like trying to convince a teenager that a spoiler doesn't actually do anything on a street car... or that grapefuit launcher exhaust tips, stickers, K&N filters, and "cold air intakes" don't make any difference...except in their heads.
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2013 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My stock parts were all fairly new.. The MSD Ignition boxes are supposed to help and they do, and are proven to work. Look it up
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2013 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The MSD box is like a toothbrush. Either it works or it's worn out. I had one go south on me. The lower rpm up to 2000 developed a miss. It could not be analyzed and it could not be serviced. The only way you could tell it was faulty was to unplug it. If it is in warranty you can mail it to them at your cost. If it is out of warranty you are out of luck.

The problem is that it will behave like a sensor problem and it can have you replacing sensors at your cost until you wise up to the fact of a faulty box.

The car doesn't need it, It is an added expense. It is an added complication. I wouldn't buy another.

BTW the fault with mine turned out to be poor soldering on the terminals of the circuit, shorting out over time.

Arn
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MSD boxes are only for 10000 RPM wild drag race motors. I have had them. They do nothing except provide some nifty outputs for data recorders, rev limiters, delay boxes, etc. They provide no spark, all they do is tell the coil when to fire. The factory coil is better than any aftermarket coil, anyway. The multiple spark discharge they derive the name from is just a gimmick. The multiple sparks occur so fast that the coil is unable to fully charge, and then it's all over at 3000 RPM. Only single sparks after that. The only difference I ever saw with one was a SLIGHTLY smoother idle and a malfunctioning tach. Yeah, they screw up the tach output so you need to buy an adapter to make it work again.

Lastly, since they moved their production to China the quality has been spotty to poor. Save your money for paint.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MSD for half price?

Are you sure its not a fake?

Check out the HOT ROD website for info on low quality speed parts knockoffs. MSD has had a BIG problem with fakes.

Port your exhaust manifolds and crossover pipe. Dyno proven horsepower gains.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock