Spark plug heat shields on 2.8 by BrittB
Started on: 12-19-2013 08:13 PM
Replies: 6 (854 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 12-21-2013 10:03 AM
BrittB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do I need to use the heat shields that cover the spark plug boots down at the head? Mine only came with 3 on the front of my 85 2.8 and none on the rear. I've replaced the spark plugs but my gut tells me the shields are there for a reason, heat or static noise or something!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engines run fine without them. Perhaps the design engineers were worried about heat distorting the spark plug boot, but those metal covers attract a lot of heat too.
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have done a lights out test with them on and have seen allot of leakage traveling to the head.
I think the boots for the spark plug sets are far better now then what came out in the 80's.
These shields become degraded over time and lose allot of their insulating properties.
On top of that the material that’s inside of them cracks and in some cases has fallen out further aiding conductivity.
My 2 cents would be to remove them.

------------------
Red 1988 GT 5 speed LQ1 Powered
Poly all around, Koni's and Lowered
Items for sale - cradle support - 3800 tranny mounts
http://s733.photobucket.com/albums/ww339/CC_Rider/

donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've wondered the same thing. My 1999 Grand Prix GTP had them too. But the GP shields also had a small spring inside of them that looks like it grounded out on the block. I've always assumed it was for heat.
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have new spark plug wires so I'll leave them off.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TFS sells them if you change your mind.

They don't fit all wire sets. I got Accel 8.8mm wires. The boots won't fit over the plug and inside the shields at the same time.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2013 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a huge issue for most of us that keep the car in the garage, but the heat shields also prevent debris from falling in and around the spark plugs.

I took mine out for a season when the car sat outside, and there was so much rust around the plugs that they're basically sized in there now (and I had just rebuilt the engine a few years before)

I personally prefer to use them... what is the material that goes between the boot and the shield and where / how can we order it to replace it?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock