Converting 84-87 front to standard bolt pattern by indcontrols
Started on: 12-19-2013 11:12 AM
Replies: 7 (555 views)
Last post by: Tha Driver on 12-23-2013 05:32 PM
indcontrols

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for indcontrolsSend a Private Message to indcontrolsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, many years ago I had a Fiero based kit car. I remembered the compact front suspension and used the Fiero suspension in my race car. Now I am driving it on the street, and here comes the problems.... On the race car, I was running 14" steelies, worked great. Now I am trying to use Weld wheels skinnies on the front (to match the rear). Of course, Weld does not make a prostar in 5 x 100mm...
I put an 84-87 rotor on the bridgeport and drilled it for 5 x 4 1/2" bolt pattern, this does not look very safe. Additionally, I cannot put the weld wheel directly on because the face of the rotor does not protrude enough - hence, the wheel hits the caliper... geez !!! The temporary solution is a pair of trans-dapt wheel adapters 5 x 100mm to 5 x 4 1/2". They work, but I ma not a fan of them, AND they add 1.25" each side to the track width making the tires tough the fenders.
I have read though a zillion posts, most of which convert to the corvette rotors (which I do not need) and keep the same 5 x 100mm bolt pattern, which I cannot use. I have also found bits and pieces of the corvair hub swap, but if this is the way to go, I really need all of the info on the complete conversion.
Surely someone has solved this problem already, either by spindle swap, stub axle swap, etc.
Any help would be appreciated. You guys have made me start looking for another Fiero project !!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the complete Corvair hub swap if you would like to buy it, including the front spindles.
indcontrols

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for indcontrolsSend a Private Message to indcontrolsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good, what's the damage ?
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just sent a text to the owner, awaiting his reply......
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

olejoedad

17901 posts
Member since May 2004
Lets move to PM.
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sharp looking car. What is that, a Crosley?
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

[This message has been edited by Tha Driver (edited 12-20-2013).]

indcontrols

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for indcontrolsSend a Private Message to indcontrolsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lol, no - believe it or not it is a 1959 Rambler American station wagon. I would reckon that I'm probably the first person with a jeep powered Rambler pro-street that has fiero parts in it to hit the forum !
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by indcontrols:

lol, no - believe it or not it is a 1959 Rambler American station wagon. I would reckon that I'm probably the first person with a jeep powered Rambler pro-street that has fiero parts in it to hit the forum !

Yeah, PROBABLY...
I knew I recognized the body lines, but couldn't quite place them.
Did you get hubs that worked out? If not, you can get custom made wheel adapters at http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_adapters.html . They make quality hub-centric (critical IMO) to any size you need. Contact them to see if they can make them thin enough for your application.
Need more photos of your car...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay