Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Is there a gasket on the exhaust's y-pipe, exit side?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Is there a gasket on the exhaust's y-pipe, exit side? by MacGyversMullet
Started on: 12-19-2013 11:01 AM
Replies: 6 (382 views)
Last post by: MacGyversMullet on 12-20-2013 01:15 PM
MacGyversMullet

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MacGyversMulletSend a Private Message to MacGyversMulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a generous leak from the y-pipe connection, on the exit side, right below the O2 sensor. Is there a gasket at that connection? Anyone know the correct part number? Could it be this? http://www.summitracing.com.../pontiac/model/fiero

I tried searching, but every thread is about the manifold gaskets
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, there is a donut-shaped gasket at that connection. The one in your Summit Racing link looks like that gasket.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I "remember", it a "STEEL" Doughnut that is held in between the 2 pipes with a bolts with a Spring on them.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post12-19-2013 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this is a fiber donut gasket ..may still be available from the Fiero store ,a little bit more than rockauto
you can also get it from some auto parts stores

if in doubt order from the fiero store
$10.95
just go to fierostore.com to check out this part
rock auto & Fiero store are as good as it gets for internet orders
Fiero store has the edge in customenr service

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 12-19-2013).]

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The correct gasket for the Y-pipe flange is the Fel-Pro 60650. The Fel-Pro 60538 is the correct size, but it has a steel sleeve in the ID that has to be removed before used on the Fiero Y-pipe. Nine out of ten times the steel sleeve will come out cleanly, but sometimes the steel sleeve is bonded to the gasket. When that happens attempting to remove the sleeve will at least deform the gasket, at worst split the gasket
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I was doing some work on mine, I went to Advance and picked up a couple of spare donuts. They were made out of whatever semi-soft fiber they're usually made of. I also bought an identical size/shape donut made out of solid aluminum.
I ended up using one of the fiber ones.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

MacGyversMullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacGyversMulletSend a Private Message to MacGyversMulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help! Glad I asked before ordering the one with the steel sleeve in it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock