removing console skeleton by hypo327
Started on: 12-18-2013 09:45 PM
Replies: 2 (847 views)
Last post by: fierogtlt1 on 12-19-2013 12:21 AM
hypo327

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2013 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hypo327Send a Private Message to hypo327Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gentlemen:

Three years ago I made the mistake of buying a new set of shifter cables from the Fiero Store, thinking they would give me a smoother shifting experience. The big mistake was hiring a local "reputable professional shop" to install them. They never did work right, and over the years the selector cable became super stiff. Well, I finally got smart and purchased Rodney Dickman's selector cable to replace the bad one, at the same time I have the engine out to install a new clutch disc. I thought I could get away with just loosening the back of the console skeleton, but found that the "professional" had bent the selector cable pin and expanded the top of the pin, probably by pounding on it, then I found out that he didn't even push the locking clip down on the shift cable, leaving just the tips holding the end of the shift cable mount. So I have to remove the skeleton so I can remove the shifter bracket for repairs, but I cannot find how the front of the skeleton is held down under the vertical radio & heat control part of the console. There are no how-to threads that I can find, and wonder if anyone knows of one that I could follow. Do I have to remove the vertical section to release the skeleton or what? I've checked you tube and found nothing there either. Buddy Craig just shows the simple removal of the console, and not the skeleton....!?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2013 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're talking about the little shifter mechanism, right? Very easy to remove without removing the skeleton. May need a ratchet with a swivel though. It's a bit tight to get the 2 nuts out, but I have small hands
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HERE YA GO.

Center Console Skeleton Removal.

Tools required:

T-15 Torx wrench

needle-nose pliers

medium phillips screwdriver

1/4” drive socket wrench or possibly a hand-held cordless power tool

7 mm socket

10 mm socket

variety of extensions for the 1/4” socket wrench
Procedure:

For stick shift, unscrew the shift knob and remove it. For automatic, shift the car into a drive gear (make sure the car is not mobile) and pull the u-shaped pin out from the front of the shifter and pull the handle upwards and remove. Open the ashtrays and pull them both out. This will reveal (2) 7mm screws under each. Remove these carefully. (This means not to drop them into the cavernous depths of the dark underworld known as the center console. This is the final resting place of all the toll money you thought you had.) The center console piece around the shifter should lift straight up. (For automatic, twist off the small light bulb socket from the bottom of the console piece.)

Center Vent / Stereo Removal / Front Console Removal:

Tools required:

T-15 Torx wrench

7 mm socket

Procedure:

Unscrew the (4) T-15 screws at the corners of the faceplate. The faceplate should then pull straight out.

To remove the stereo, unbolt the (2) lowest 7 mm screws on each side of the stereo before unbolting the (2) upper ones (total of 4 screws) and pull it straight out. (automatic cars need to be out of ‘park’ in order for the stereo to actually come out with ease - make sure the car is not mobile). Unplug the connections on the back of the stereo.

There are (5) 7mm screws that hold the remainder of the console on: there are three that were covered up by the shift console, and there are two that are right above the stereo’s screws (the stereo does not need to be removed to remove the console itself). The console should pull straight out. Removing the console reveals a metal brace that holds the center console to the dashboard. There are (8) 7 mm screws that hold this on.

...in addition for 1986-1988 V-6 models

There is an instrument pod above the center console. This is held on with (4) of the (8) 7 mm screws mentioned above. Don’t forget to carefully unplug it before you yank it out of the car. ps., there is no need to remove the faceplate on the pod.
Center Armrest Removal:

Tools required:

T-15 Torx wrench

medium phillips screwdriver

7 mm socket

Procedure:

The first thing that needs to be removed is the black faceplate around the lighter. There are (2) T-15 torx screws securing this. Once this is removed, the lighter assembly must be unscrewed. There are (2) phillips screws holding this in place. Open the armrest compartment and look behind the storage bin. There are (2) 7 mm screws holding the back of this console to the firewall. There are also (2) 7 mm screws in the front where the shift console used to be. Remove these 4 screws and snake the lighter assembly out of the console while you lift it straight up and remove it.

GOOD LUCK I Hope This Helps.

[This message has been edited by fierogtlt1 (edited 12-19-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock