Carbed engine carb choice by BrittB
Started on: 12-17-2013 10:20 PM
Replies: 9 (377 views)
Last post by: BrittB on 12-19-2013 08:00 PM
BrittB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2013 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am considering converting my 85 SE V6 to carb type induction. Has anyone tried using a Holey 350 cfm two barrel carb with the Edelbrock intake?

Here's one on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/331...id=p3984.m1423.l2649
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2013 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That will work fine, you can probably find somethign a little less expensive. I have a Q-Jet on a 3.1 that works great. Larry

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2013 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My preference is always an Edlebrock. I NEVER had a good Holley. Ive thrown new Holleys in cornfields. Most cases ive had, Edlebrocks bolted right on and ran great without even touching a screw...and ran that way for years without touching them. Holleys were always leaking at the bowls because of the way theyre made. You can take the whole top off an AFB style without spilling a drop. I personally wont even look at anything else.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2013 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I assume you are talking about the v6. That is 173 ci. The Edelbrocks, while very sweet, are to fat for the job. Your 350 cfm Holley is pretty much perfect. If you want a 4 barrel, the Holley 390 works well also because the primary venturi are small. On balance, having used both, I'd say the 350 is the simpler and better choice for the motor. The 390 has to have the accellerator pump circuit modified if you use it due to bogging. That is a simple fix though.

PM me if you need info.

Arn
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2013 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of your biggest reasons to choose one carb over another is how tall it is. This will probably be your biggest problem in th end. Larry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2013 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Qjets are good for this reason:

"First, you need to understand that the Quadrajet, unlike the Holley carb, is an "air valve" carburetor that senses air flow requirements of the specific engine and meters fuel to those requirements. This is why, although rated at either 750 or 800 CFM, they could be used on a variety of engines ranging from a Pontiac OHC six cylinder to a Super Duty or Ram Air engine."

http://home.comcast.net/~gt...s/QuadrajetTech.html
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2013 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm leaning towards the 2 barrel for ease of set up and the overall cost is a little less when buying new. 390 cfm Holley's aren't cheap and I have a very tight budget plus the 350 cfm seem to be plentiful. I will probably post in the mall to see if anyone has a manifold and/or carb they want to unload, maybe a distributor too! As far as the height issue, not too worried as custom glass work is something I do everyday so I could come up with something cool such as a carb top that uses a tube and picks up the original air filter.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

That will work fine, you can probably find somethign a little less expensive. I have a Q-Jet on a 3.1 that works great. Larry

Off - topic, but I dig your use of the Pontiac G6 exhaust manifold.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BrittB:

I'm leaning towards the 2 barrel for ease of set up and the overall cost is a little less when buying new. 390 cfm Holley's aren't cheap and I have a very tight budget plus the 350 cfm seem to be plentiful. I will probably post in the mall to see if anyone has a manifold and/or carb they want to unload, maybe a distributor too! As far as the height issue, not too worried as custom glass work is something I do everyday so I could come up with something cool such as a carb top that uses a tube and picks up the original air filter.

The height issue is this. The Edelbrock intake is tall and you will have to cut the deck lid for it. The Offenhauser is not and it is the better intake, but you likely won't find one for under $300 as it is no longer made. The S10 intake fits the Qjet and is also lower, but flows allot less and is not a performance intake. Both the Edelbrock and Offy are set up to accept the Holley bolt pattern.

You want the early 80's distributor from the S10 or Blazer. I bought used, but you can get one from Rockauto new for a decent price.

Good luck with it

Arn
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can raise the roof so to speak of the deck lid, it may be safer than having a fiberglass elbow on top of a carb. A carb fire could ruin your day! So, my shopping list looks like Edelbrock intake with 2 barrel top, Holley 350cfm 2 barrel carb, and a distributor from a 84-85 S-10 with vacuum advance. How about a Vega electric fuel pump? Am I missing anything?

[This message has been edited by BrittB (edited 12-19-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock