new cardone distributor, 2.8 now won't start by marc-alan
Started on: 12-15-2013 04:00 PM
Replies: 22 (733 views)
Last post by: BrittB on 04-14-2014 07:54 PM
marc-alan

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for marc-alanSend a Private Message to marc-alanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just replaced the distributor in my '85 GT. The car was missing was slightly bucking at certain rpms and I had hoped that by replacing the rusty distributor the problems would go away. Now to the problem.

I have found TDC using a whistle, clocked the cap at 1, jumped the AB connector and the motor just spins. I then thought perhaps the new icm that came with the distributor was bad, and swapped that out. Nope.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

m-a

[This message has been edited by marc-alan (edited 12-15-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
distributor could still be bad. I have seen this in a number of occasions of them bad out of the box.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could be 180 degrees out. When you time it, make sure the timing mark is pointed to the 3rd point on the timing plate. Make sure the rotor is pointed at number one. And make sure you are at the top of the compression stroke. I have done it when I was 180 out. Easy to do

Arn
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

You could be 180 degrees out. And make sure you are at the top of the compression stroke. I have done it when I was 180 out. Easy to do

I was thinking the same thing, but the OP said he used a whistle to determine TDC. I don't think the whistle would sound on the exhaust stroke. However, he obviously still needs to have the rotation and position of the distributor/rotor at least "close" to #1.

Originally posted by marc-alan:

I have found TDC using a whistle...

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-15-2013).]

marc-alan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for marc-alanSend a Private Message to marc-alanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your replies.

I was thinking of replacing the new distributor with the old one and seeing what happens. I will double check to make sure I am not 180 degrees out. I thought that using a whistle to find TDC you could not be 180 degrees out.

m-a
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2013 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I will double check to make sure I am not 180 degrees out. I thought that using a whistle to find TDC you could not be 180 degrees out.

Remember its intake, compression, combustion, exhaust. You'll get TDC twice.

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2013 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for your replies.

I was thinking of replacing the new distributor with the old one and seeing what happens. I will double check to make sure I am not 180 degrees out. I thought that using a whistle to find TDC you could not be 180 degrees out.

m-a

A whistle will blow on the exhaust stroke, but the whistle won't be as loud because the air is exiting out the valve and the whistle at the same time

If you aren't using a probe, you need a compression tester which will only rise on the compression stroke.

I have used the compression tester with a remote trigger to bump the starter, but a probe is the easier way. You need to have the rotor visible and crank the engine until the rotor is at number one and the timing mark is at the indicator strip. If you are 180 out, it will not point at number one

Arn
marc-alan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2013 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for marc-alanSend a Private Message to marc-alanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks, I believe I also have a compression gauge. When it gets a bit warmer out, I will check to confirm with the compression gauge. Sure hope its that simple.

m-a
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2013 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Too late now, but i always mark the distibutor position on the manifold AND where the rotor is pointed. You always can get it exactly where you had it.
marc-alan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2013 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for marc-alanSend a Private Message to marc-alanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a chance with the warm weather to confirm TDC for number 1. I also was able to confirm that there was spark. I then used a timing light and had my helper turn the motor over with the key, I found that I was within the landing for the timing mark with the engine spinning. We could here the motor try to catch a little bit, but not getting all the way there. I tried both the old distributor and the new one. Same results.

I could smell and see gas on the spark plug. What else could it be? I even checked the fuse under the dash.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2013 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I also was able to confirm that there was spark.

No problem jumping a full 1/4" gap?

I then used a timing light and had my helper turn the motor over with the key, I found that I was within the landing for the timing mark with the engine spinning.

With the A/B jumper in place?

And you're positive the timing marks on the balancer are in the right place? (TDC of #1 piston lines up with 0° on the scale?)
PFF
System Bot
marc-alan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2013 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for marc-alanSend a Private Message to marc-alanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the AB jumper in place. The spark was determined by putting the pulled spark plug back in the boot and grounding the outside of the plug to the motor. I was able to see a nice white-blue spark. It was brighter with the newer distributor than the old.

It makes no sense to me at the moment, I stopped working on it today to think about it more before getting aggravated.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2013 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The spark was determined by putting the pulled spark plug back in the boot and grounding the outside of the plug to the motor. I was able to see a nice white-blue spark. It was brighter with the newer distributor than the old.

No offense, but that does not answer my question.

Originally posted by Patrick:

No problem jumping a full 1/4" gap?

Having the spark jump a few thousandths of an inch outside of the combustion chamber means nothing. It's much more difficult to do so under compression which is why the spark needs to be able to jump a full 1/4" gap under atmospheric pressure.

And you're positive the timing marks on the balancer are in the right place? (TDC of #1 piston lines up with 0° on the scale?)

I'm trying to determine if the outer ring of your harmonic balancer has spun, or if you have a non-Fiero replacement balancer installed... because if so, you'll never be able to set the ignition timing properly using the timing marks.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-21-2013).]

marc-alan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2013 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for marc-alanSend a Private Message to marc-alanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, yes the timing marks line up on the balancer at TDC.

No offense taken, I can check the 1/4 gap next time I attempt to get it running again. Having never done this 1/4" gap, what is the best way to do so?

thanks
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Having never done this 1/4" gap, what is the best way to do so?

You want something metal sticking out of a spark plug boot that you can hold 1/4" away from an engine ground. I've done it by sticking the end of a screwdriver into the boot, and while holding its (well insulated) handle, rest the shaft of the screwdriver on something metal like an exhaust manifold. While the engine is being cranked, lift the screwdriver shaft 1/4" away from your ground. The spark should make a good loud "snap" as it jumps the 1/4" gap. And make sure your hand isn't too close to the screwdriver shaft, or you'll be cursing me as you involuntarily throw the screwdriver 50 feet into the neighbour's yard.
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just for fun, did you try it without the jumper on the A and B terminals?
marc-alan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for marc-alanSend a Private Message to marc-alanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks I just did, the timing mark was all over the place. Still seems to be about the same, like it wants to start, but won't.

Perhaps its the ecm?
marc-alan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for marc-alanSend a Private Message to marc-alanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I re-read all the posts to my question. Today I finally had some warm weather and time to investigate this a bit farther. I determined I had compression in the cylinders with a compression tester. I double checked the position of the rotor to TDC at number one. I confirmed spark, my neighbors almost got a screwdriver as I got zapped (even replaced spark plugs). Using starter fluid injected into the throttle body had no effect. I am leaning towards a bad ecm...anyone have any other thoughts

It makes no sense to me
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My new distributor had a weak coil right out of the box, new one made it strong again. Also replace the ignition coil and it got even better. Setting the distributor at TDC without the AB jumper should get it to start so it can be timed. Did you check to be sure you haven't bumped something to create a vacuum leak or unplug something else? Firing orders correct?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even with a bad ECM the engine should fire on starting fluid. The ignition system will operate without an ECM in place.

You can have a weak spark that will produce a spark with a simple tester outside the engine but not in the engine under compression. (Compression = more air between the spark plug terminals = more voltage needed to jump the gap.

An "Electronic Ignition Tester" is designed to only fire at the higher voltages produced by electronic ignition. Just checking for spark the old fashion way isn't always good enough.

http://www.autotoolworld.co...zY3r0CFexcMgodGg8AgA

If indeed you are not getting enough voltage to fire the plugs under compression the problem might be in the ignition coil (more likely) or in the rotor (less likely)

Cranking the engine with the spark plug wires disconnected can cause an ignition coil's insulation to fail if weak. It is not possible to test the coil's insulation with a standard low voltage meter.

If spark is reaching the plugs then the problem would be timing.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 04-13-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

You can have a weak spark that will produce a spark with a simple tester outside the engine but not in the engine under compression. (Compression = more air between the spark plug terminals = more voltage needed to jump the gap.

An "Electronic Ignition Tester" is designed to only fire at the higher voltages produced by electronic ignition. Just checking for spark the old fashion way isn't always good enough.

Are you saying that jumping a full 1/4" gap isn't enough? What's the gap in the tester you've linked to?

You want something metal sticking out of a spark plug boot that you can hold 1/4" away from an engine ground... <snip>

PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With those distributors, here is what I have found.
The pick up coils wires are longer than stock and get pinched by the cap in the back, make sure they get tucked inside the cap.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

With those distributors, here is what I have found.
The pick up coils wires are longer than stock and get pinched by the cap in the back, make sure they get tucked inside the cap.

Mine got pinched as well, appears to be a common thing! I ended up buying another pickup coil and replacing it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock