Your thoughts on this spoiler by newfiejeff
Started on: 12-15-2013 11:11 AM
Replies: 18 (719 views)
Last post by: newfiejeff on 12-18-2013 11:58 AM
newfiejeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't seen this in person, but what are you thoughts on this spoiler, the measurements are fine.

http://www.nlclassifieds.co...oundland-NLCId656604
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gem1138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gem1138Send a Private Message to gem1138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I should work as an air dam but to work as a wing it much be in clear air above the boundary layer.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
????
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd have to see it on a Fiero, however it's curved, and the Fiero's rear-end is straight. I think it would look odd, or out of place. It would merely be for aesthetics though.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was my thoughts about the curve part and of course it would be only for looks. I currently have the luggage rack type there now and one piece of it is currently broke and was hoping to change to a spoiler
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newfiejeff:

That was my thoughts about the curve part and of course it would be only for looks. I currently have the luggage rack type there now and one piece of it is currently broke and was hoping to change to a spoiler

They do sell replacement Fiero spoilers if you wanted one... but if you want something simple, you can always get the spoiler that was sold on the 1982-1984 Pontiac TransAm. It's roughly the same width and actually looks pretty decent. I had a Fiero a while back that had this on it... it looked OEM, and it actually looked really cool because it came painted black (as they all do) so it accented nicely with the black paint on the side mirrors. Most were black, but this one is white (below):

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks to me like the outside mounts are too wide for a Fiero. If they mount on top of the fenders, you cant open the trunk. Looks like thats why hes selling it because it wont work on his either. Looks like It needs to be on a much wider trunk lid to me.
georgie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for georgieSend a Private Message to georgieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 85 gt wing spoiler i would give you, But I'm in california.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So where do I get those spoilers?

Also the that spoiler that I posted is the proper size, it is exactly the size of the trunk lid
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your main source is the auto junk yard. I used a Plymouth Sundance spoiler and it is cool. It lines up exactly on the Fiero and looks like OEM.

Buying new you won't get anything but ricer bait wings and spoilers. Try vintage parts.

Arn
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ill take your word for it. Seems to me Fieros trunk was a lot narrower, but I def could be wrong since I dont have one to measure.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

Your main source is the auto junk yard.

I agree. Poke around at a wrecking yard and get one for $25-$30.

I like the discussion and images in This thread.
gem1138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2013 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gem1138Send a Private Message to gem1138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My comment is irrelevant if you are just looking for a decoration. If so, yours is the only opinion that matters.

Otherwise, a wing on a car functions like the wing on an airplane but upside down to provide down force instead of lift. The principle of a wing in either application is that the air's path over one side is greater than the other. Thus the air flowing the longer path must accelerate (in relation to the surface). Faster moving air has less pressure on a surface than slower moving air so on a car, you want the air moving faster on the underside, just the opposite of a airplane. Thus to function as a wing, it must be far enough above the rear deck to be in air more clear of the car below.

A spoiler spoils lift whereas a wing produces down force rather than spoiling lift. The first spoiler I know of was on the original Ford GT and that is also called an air dam because is slows the air flowing over the deck (as a dam slows the flow of water) increasing pressure and spoiling lift.

A wing mounted so close to the deck does little but to slow the flow over the deck by damming the air and doesn't do much of a job of that.

I long ago removed the factory wing from my GT as it was as appealing to me as a phony hood scoop or a padded bra. I hope someday to make a high wing mounted on a vertical fin (stabilizer) that incorporates an inlet to fed an intercooler. It remains to be seen if this is a dream or a plan at this time.

Sorry if I bored you doing my James may imitation.

My opinion is that I'd rather have a real Fiero than a phony Coutach or 308 or a real wing than a phony one.

For the first automotive wings (and very real indeed) google 'Jim Hall Chaparral'
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2013 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newfiejeff:
I haven't seen this in person, but what are you thoughts on this spoiler, the measurements are fine.

http://www.nlclassifieds.co...oundland-NLCId656604

The first picture of the two shown in the link you've provided us strongly suggests to me that the part you'd asked our opinions about has a very pronounced curvature to it, one which would look quite out of place on the relatively straight decklid surfaces of a Fiero --- whether mounted vertically as a spoiler, or horizontally as a wing.

Accordingly, I suggest instead getting a used Fiero wing.

Assuming there are no Fiero wings in any Newfoundland junkyard, nor in a junkyard within any nearby Canadian provinces, I'd then try placing a "wanted-to-buy" ad in The Mall section of of this forum.

In turn, if that doesn't work either, I suggest contacting The Fiero Factory in Toney, Alabama ( www.thefierofactory.com ). It's not actually a "factory," but a salvage yard that specializes in Fiero parts, with a large number on hand ( http://thefierofactory.com ). Be aware that I've used The Fiero Factory successfully on several different occasions, even when I couldn't otherwise locate a Fiero part I was seeking that although used, had to be in the excellent condition for my purposes (e.g., an air cleaner canister that was in excellent, rust-free shape for me to have it chrome-plated later).

Good luck to you with your parts search.

[This message has been edited by project34 (edited 12-16-2013).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2013 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
They do sell replacement Fiero spoilers if you wanted one... but if you want something simple, you can always get the spoiler that was sold on the 1982-1984 Pontiac TransAm. It's roughly the same width and actually looks pretty decent. I had a Fiero a while back that had this on it... it looked OEM, and it actually looked really cool because it came painted black (as they all do) so it accented nicely with the black paint on the side mirrors. Most were black, but this one is white (below):

I put one of these on my car, love the look. The early ones were black, later years were body color.

Odin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2013 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OdinSend a Private Message to OdinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally I think you would be better to stick with the stock GT spoiler. That looks like you would have to drill some holes. Plus it is curved. The back of the Fiero is strait. Just my opinion though.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2013 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GT, wraparound, or whale tail are the only ones that look good in my eyes.
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2013 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one that came on a 85 I recently parted out in parts storage.

I think it looks pretty good but I am not 100% in love with the leading edge and it's curvature. I do really like the third brake light though and am considering trying to use it with a stock Fiero wing.

This wing IS for sale BTW!
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2013 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot of nice spoilers, I think I may go with the luggage rack, get mine fixed and paint it up and give the car a new paint job. Once that is done the rack doesn't look all that bad.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock