Started on: 12-14-2013 01:48 PM
Replies: 9 (263 views)
Last post by: smartaxel on 12-15-2013 02:37 PM
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I ran a search nothing that resembles what I found. First I have noticed from time to time what seemed to be oil in the same area. not much but enough to catch my attention. It is on the side of the engine facing towards the trunk of the Fiero or on a Grand Prix it would be at the back facing the firewall. The other day I noticed my coolant level was down just a tad. so I added just a little bit. Today I noticed wetness in the same area and it has some color!

The picture is the side facing the trunk of the Fiero. It is under the middle of the intake by the middle injector. Where do you suppose it is coming from?

Thanks,

Steve
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe coming thru the LIM bolt holes. Some of the bolts go thru coolant passages and teflon needs to be applied to keep from leaking. Just a thought...
daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can almost guarantee that is a LIM leak. That motor most likely still has the plastic LIM gaskets, those notoriously leak by 100,000 or less. ZZP sells the aluminum replacement gaskets for 40-50 dollars. The GM Dexcool and heat degrades the old plastic gaskets and it can let coolant get into the crankcase and cause total failure. Be sure you use silicone to seal the 4 corners where the side LIM gaskets meet the two strips that run across on both ends of the LIM to ensure no leaks.
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
intake gaskets or maybe supercharger gasket. If I recall, the supercharger gasket has a few yellow o rings in there and is paper. It could act like a wick and be drenched in coolant. Personally, Id replace the lower intake gaskets just because. It is easy, just time consuming, and cheap insurance.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Maybe coming thru the LIM bolt holes. Some of the bolts go thru coolant passages and teflon needs to be applied to keep from leaking. Just a thought...

It looks like there are caps on them. Are they bolts? I am new to the 3800 and do not have a shop manual. what is the torque spec? I will try putting teflon on the bolt threads.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by daniel87fierogt:

I can almost guarantee that is a LIM leak. That motor most likely still has the plastic LIM gaskets, those notoriously leak by 100,000 or less. ZZP sells the aluminum replacement gaskets for 40-50 dollars. The GM Dexcool and heat degrades the old plastic gaskets and it can let coolant get into the crankcase and cause total failure. Be sure you use silicone to seal the 4 corners where the side LIM gaskets meet the two strips that run across on both ends of the LIM to ensure no leaks.

I hope not. I dont have the time nor do I have a manual so I do not know the torque specs etc.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by smartaxel:

intake gaskets or maybe supercharger gasket. If I recall, the supercharger gasket has a few yellow o rings in there and is paper. It could act like a wick and be drenched in coolant. Personally, Id replace the lower intake gaskets just because. It is easy, just time consuming, and cheap insurance.

You are probably correct on super gasket as I have seen oil in that area when I got the car and the super was low on super oil. Sure it is easy, but I dont have the time, unless I quit one of my part time minimum paying jobs to do this. I also do not have a shop manual for the 3800. Not sure what has to come off and what doesnt. Like the fuel injectors .

I am tempted to try some bars leak and see if that works. The leak is not a large amount of coolant.

Smartaxle why didnt you talk me into buying your car? I wouldnt have had all these problems. LOL
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
mstangsbeware what about running a 194 theromstat? It has a 180 now
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

You are probably correct on super gasket as I have seen oil in that area when I got the car and the super was low on super oil. Sure it is easy, but I dont have the time, unless I quit one of my part time minimum paying jobs to do this. I also do not have a shop manual for the 3800. Not sure what has to come off and what doesnt. Like the fuel injectors .

I am tempted to try some bars leak and see if that works. The leak is not a large amount of coolant.

Smartaxle why didnt you talk me into buying your car? I wouldnt have had all these problems. LOL

I never want to be that "pushy" guy, so I just show the car and let it speak for itself. If folks don't want it, than it wasn't meant to be. (and a 3.4 wasn't really competition to a 3800sc..) You definitely wouldn't have had these issues though. I miss that car..
But on the supercharger.. It's not the supercharger oil gasket. (That's on the side of the silver supercharger neck and it's a form in place type gunk) It's an upper intake manifold gasket I'm suggesting. When I originally did mine, I missed a small bit of old gasket on cleaning, and theb little bump allowed it to leak. The paper gasket got all saturated with coolant I believe. (It's been a few years, and another Forum member was the one who'd noticed it). There are links all over with torque values, and some step by steps. I followed a really good one when I did mine a few years back, and just a few weeks ago with a co-worker on his. I understand about the job.. But, if you have a weekend off, or 12 hours or so, you should be able to complete it. (I know you don't want to hear this..). A friend used Bars leak and it gave him about 3 weeks until it started eating coolant into the engine. Me.. I wouldn't wait for that to happen cause then you are just asking for trouble with bearings etc. 3800s are an awesome engine, but they do have this gasket issue.

Original lower gaskets are black plastic. Replacements are silver aluminum. If you can look at the sides maybe you can tell if yours were replaced, in which case, it may just be that upper (which is far easier than the lowers), or some bolts.

This one is an NA and not the one I am looking for, but its still usable for concept: http://www.pontiacbonnevill...opic.php?f=53&t=3591

This shows where they leak: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP8Ge68MF9M

Good luck.
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

smartaxel

2823 posts
Member since Feb 2002
Here is how it all goes together:

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay