Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  What plugs needed to cap off the Cold Start Injector Fuel Line?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What plugs needed to cap off the Cold Start Injector Fuel Line? by Timpilot
Started on: 12-13-2013 07:38 PM
Replies: 14 (791 views)
Last post by: css9450 on 09-13-2019 11:21 AM
Timpilot

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2013 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TimpilotClick Here to visit Timpilot's HomePageSend a Private Message to TimpilotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After rebuilding the Fuel Pressure Regulator in my daughter's 2.8 '86 GT, the car will start, idle at 2000 RPM, then die when it goes into closed-loop. It is running very rich.

I want to disconnect the Cold Start Injector's fuel line at the fuel rail. What plugs do I need for the fuel line and the port in the fuel rail?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2013 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To plug the hole on the fuel rail you will need an oil pan bolt. I believe it is the same size. When I did mine I just dug into my bolt can till I found one that fit.
Timpilot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TimpilotClick Here to visit Timpilot's HomePageSend a Private Message to TimpilotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hiwil88formula:

To plug the hole on the fuel rail you will need an oil pan bolt. I believe it is the same size. When I did mine I just dug into my bolt can till I found one that fit.

What about capping the fuel line? If the CSI is stuck open, there would be a vacuum leak in the lower intake manifold.
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Timpilot:

What about capping the fuel line? If the CSI is stuck open, there would be a vacuum leak in the lower intake manifold.

pinch/weld the tube shut.
Timpilot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TimpilotClick Here to visit Timpilot's HomePageSend a Private Message to TimpilotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

pinch/weld the tube shut.

I thought about just pinching the line off without disconnecting it at all. But I would like to cap it and plug the fuel rail temporarily to see if it solves the flooding issue. If the flooding went away, I would just leave the line and rail capped/plugged.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the hole in the fuel rail is M12-1.75, remove the line coming off of the rail, install bolt. done.

the injector is #8 machine screw iirc.

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

Built not bought... Because bolt-ons don't.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

86soon3.4

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unscrew The Fitting That Goes Into The Fuel Rail. Take It To The Parts Store And Get An Oil Drain Plug The Same Size. Screw It In The Hole And Your Done.

Steve
Timpilot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TimpilotClick Here to visit Timpilot's HomePageSend a Private Message to TimpilotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86soon3.4:

Unscrew The Fitting That Goes Into The Fuel Rail. Take It To The Parts Store And Get An Oil Drain Plug The Same Size. Screw It In The Hole And Your Done.

Steve

That still leaves the line to the CSI open and a vacuum leak if the CSI is stuck open, right?
86soon3.4

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Timpilot:

That still leaves the line to the CSI open and a vacuum leak if the CSI is stuck open, right?

pinch the line off with a vise grips and bent it over or braze the end shut.

Or pull the CSI and plug the hole with an expandable frost plug.

Steve
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could just get a vacuum port cap and put it on the line from the injector. Even if the injector is stuck open, I doubt it would be enough of a vacuum leak to make much difference.

------------------
Rod Schneider, Ball Ground, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1987 Porsche 944S
1987 Corvette
1966 Porsche 911
2001 Chrysler 300M
Van's RV-6 airplane

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86soon3.4:

Steve

The fitting that screws out of the fuel rail has a gasket or o-ring on it and it's not a tapered hole (if memory serves me) so any type of screw would need a gasket also or there would be the potential for a leak. I could be wrong but it wouldn't hurt to check first. The gasket from the removed fitting could serve the purpose if it's still good.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

PFF
System Bot
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
7/8" freeze plug will plug the CSI port perfectly in the LIM... Also this is my first winter with the CSI deleted, and I just started my car covered in 6 inches of snow and 6* weather with no problems, maybe cranked a half a second longer than usual.
Visigoth87Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2019 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Visigoth87FieroSend a Private Message to Visigoth87FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
7/8 freeze plug works good although it take a lot of pressing to do .
I found that a 22 millimeter work much better and that can easily be take out for future us .
The 85 through 87 Corvette C4 take the same cold start injector .
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2019 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you just disconnect the wires going to the injector?
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2019 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the TPI V8 305/350, there exist vendors who make billet aluminum plugs to block off the injector hole. Comes with an O-ring and a mounting bolt. I would search for a link but I'm at work right now.

This of course assumes its the same size opening as on the 2.8.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock