1986 Fiero GT cold start problem by Harold James Kie
Started on: 12-10-2013 11:45 PM
Replies: 3 (481 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 12-12-2013 01:47 PM
Harold James Kie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harold James KieSend a Private Message to Harold James KieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 1986 2.8 L GT has been parked in my garage since 1989 and only has 37k miles on it. I replaced the fuel tank (with a 1988 tank, lots of work but worth the effort) and the fuel pump. I also replaced the fuel filter, changed the oil and filter, replaced the plugs, new wires, dist cap etc. but it will not start. It will crank over and fire but only run for a few seconds and stall. The fuel pressure is 40 psi and it does not display any codes other than the "12" code as expected. The service manual said to "remove the distributor bypass terminal and see if it runs. If so replace the pick up coil". When I removed the distributor connection it made no difference. It still only ran for a couple of seconds and stalled. There are no vacuum leaks and the battery is new and fully charged. Any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like your injectors are plugged up. The reason it starts for a few seconds then dies is that the cold start injector is squirting enough gas to start it up, but then shuts down (like it is supposed to).

You can get yours "rebuilt" or you can buy some already done to save time.

Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

You can test mrFiero's injector theory by having a helper spray some starting fluid in the throttle body. If the car continues to run beyond the usual time, it tells you that the injectors are not working.

edit: With any car used so little over the years, stuck injectors are a very common problem.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 12-11-2013).]

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Almost "for sure" the injectors are now stuck. been there done that, and I spent 6 months checking everything else imaginable first. (they Can be "professionally cleaned" for around $80-100

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock