Started on: 12-10-2013 11:52 AM
Replies: 8 (811 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 06-17-2014 01:25 PM
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, this may generate some controversy, but do you really need a spring compressor to change the rear struts?
The reason I bring this up is that I've done the rear struts on an 84 SE and an 88 GT without using a spring compressor. On both cars, the rear spring only extended a little bit after removing the center nut and I was able to easily push it down by hand with the bottom of the strut sitting on the floor and get the nut started on the new strut.
I discovered this the first time I changed struts on my 84--I had loosened the nut before I jacked up the car, and after removing the strut assembly I discovered that I could push the upper spring seat down by resting the strut on the floor. That first time I did use a spring compressor, but removed it before trying to install the nut, just to see if I could. For me, it was no problem.......
I don't want anyone doing anything they aren't comfortable with, but it's something to consider if you don't have a spring compressor available......

------------------
Rod Schneider, Ball Ground, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1987 Porsche 944S
1987 Corvette
1966 Porsche 911
2001 Chrysler 300M
Van's RV-6 airplane

[This message has been edited by Rodrv6 (edited 12-10-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it is more for safety.... I would rather play it safe when it comes to an unknown issue. Who knows if the strut has a replacement spring, or such thing and it flies off and injures someone.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used 2 rachet straps when I did one of my 88GTs.

Didn't need much to compress.

bcampbell

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bcampbellSend a Private Message to bcampbellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree that a spring compressor is unnecessary. It only pops about an inch after the nut is released. If there were really sufficient force loaded in the spring to cause damage, the nut would be more difficult to remove I would think.

I find the front springs way more of a pain to work with, and with them, there's no way to even get a spring compressor in there. At least, any spring compressor I've used.
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little thread necromancy here.

Thanks to this thread I was able to get my job done. I bought 1 and rented another spring compressor... junk.

I pulled the strut and spring etc out of the fiero, and threw it in the grass. Then I stood on the strut and the spring with my feet, but an electric impact on the nut and.. zooooom off it came. No dramatic spring unloading or anything like that, not dangerous in the least.

Of course, anyone who is reading this who is unsure whether or not they will be safe doing what I did should just take their car to a certified mechanic. Or me.. I will do it for trade in beer.
deceler8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright, if you don't need a spring compressor, do you even need to take the top strut mount off the car at all ?

Can you just undo the top nut and lower the spring and cartridge and reinstall the same way ?

------------------

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodrv6:
OK, this may generate some controversy, but do you really need a spring compressor to change the rear struts?
The reason I bring this up is that I've done the rear struts on an 84 SE and an 88 GT without using a spring compressor. On both cars, the rear spring only extended a little bit after removing the center nut and I was able to easily push it down by hand with the bottom of the strut sitting on the floor and get the nut started on the new strut.
I discovered this the first time I changed struts on my 84--I had loosened the nut before I jacked up the car, and after removing the strut assembly I discovered that I could push the upper spring seat down by resting the strut on the floor. That first time I did use a spring compressor, but removed it before trying to install the nut, just to see if I could. For me, it was no problem.......
I don't want anyone doing anything they aren't comfortable with, but it's something to consider if you don't have a spring compressor available......

Depending on springs etc. Some setups Maybe can do this. Others not.

You can get compressors thru loaner tools at AZ etc.

Spring compressors are dangerous on there own. Many news stories when people hurt or killed when compresses are used wrong or fails. Is why you don't get in line for top/bottom of spring. You work on side of spring only so fail compressor can't release pressure toward you.

Remember that a Spring compressor fails can hit you then you can hit floor/wall/etc. Hitting the floor/etc can damage too. Often more than just failed compressor.

Originally posted by bcampbell:
I find the front springs way more of a pain to work with, and with them, there's no way to even get a spring compressor in there. At least, any spring compressor I've used.

Fiero front is easy. Use search.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The softer the springs, the more you need a spring compressor.

The reason for this is that softer springs are compressed several inches before they push back enough to support the weight of the vehicle.

When you look at stiffer springs, their free length will actually be shorter, for a given ride height.

You might be able to get away with this on a Fiero, but you'll be in for a world of hurt if you try to do it with grandma's Buick.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, keep yourself out of the line of fire... just incase. I also recommending extra straps if you want to be really careful, just incase something snaps.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock