Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  heres a real wtf question for an expert (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
heres a real wtf question for an expert by frozenpuppy
Started on: 12-10-2013 09:45 AM
Replies: 43 (801 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 12-12-2013 06:50 AM
frozenpuppy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frozenpuppySend a Private Message to frozenpuppyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do I take these front rotors off??? 87 4cyl seems the rotors and hub are one assy and there is literally no spindle nut, just solid metal where the axle nut should be???
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are these stock? If so, there is a cap that you have to remove to get to the nut. BTW, the rotor and hub are one unit on the 84-87 fieros. If you haven't done one of these units, get a manual, because you will be dealing with bearings and setting the proper nut tension when reinstalling. You don't just torque the spindle nut down.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 12-10-2013).]

frozenpuppy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frozenpuppySend a Private Message to frozenpuppyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Are these stock? If so, there is a cap that you have to remove to get to the nut. BTW, the rotor and hub are one unit on the 84-87 fieros. If you haven't done one of these units, get a manual, because you will be dealing with bearings and setting the proper nut tension when reinstalling. You don't just torque the spindle nut down.

Thats the thing there's literally no spindle nut. Just a solid metal indent where the nut should be.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Similar to this:

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by frozenpuppy:

Thats the thing there's literally no spindle nut. Just a solid metal indent where the nut should be.

Indent? Can you post pics?
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did you take the cap off? The nut may be covered by grease.
frozenpuppy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frozenpuppySend a Private Message to frozenpuppyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Did you take the cap off? The nut may be covered by grease.

No cap either. Seriously.
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ttake a pic and show us?
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pictures?
frozenpuppy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frozenpuppySend a Private Message to frozenpuppyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do I post pics? Sorry.
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At the bottom of this page is a button titled "Pennock's Image Poster". Click it and follow the instructions, assuming you don't have a Mac.............
(edit) Is it possible you have an 88 rather than an 87? Look at your front shocks. Do they go up the center of the coil spring (88) or are they behind the coil spring (84-87). If it is an 88 front end, the rotors are separate from the hubs, but may be rusted on.....

------------------
Rod Schneider, Ball Ground, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1987 Porsche 944S
1987 Corvette
1966 Porsche 911
2001 Chrysler 300M
Van's RV-6 airplane

[This message has been edited by Rodrv6 (edited 12-10-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
frozenpuppy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frozenpuppySend a Private Message to frozenpuppyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodrv6:

At the bottom of this page is a button titled "Pennock's Image Poster". Click it and follow the instructions, assuming you don't have a Mac.............
(edit) Is it possible you have an 88 rather than an 87? Look at your front shocks. Do they go up the center of the coil spring (88) or are they behind the coil spring (84-87). If it is an 88 front end, the rotors are separate from the hubs, but may be rusted on.....

Im on my droid. Looks like yall might needa wait till I go home from work tonight. Someones gotta pay for dem dta housing recipients, ya know.
frozenpuppy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frozenpuppySend a Private Message to frozenpuppyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

frozenpuppy

18 posts
Member since Nov 2013

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

ttake a pic and show us?

[URL=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=webhp&tbm=isch&source=hp&ei=BkenUrqODYqxsQT654DYBQ&q=88+fiero+hub&oq=88+fiero+hub&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.3..0l5.3464.6266.0.6766.13.12.0.1.1.0.2320.6941.7-1j2j1.4.0....0...1c.1.32.mobile-gws-hp..10.3.2751.hC64D8ZesA s]http://www.google.com/searc...0.3.2751.hC64D8ZesAs[/URL]

This. Look for the pic of the hub that has a solid center

[This message has been edited by frozenpuppy (edited 12-10-2013).]

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[URL=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=webhp&tbm=isch&source=hp&ei=BkenUrqODYqxsQT654DYBQ&q=88+fiero+hub&oq=88+fiero+hub&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.3..0l5.3464.6266.0.6766.13.12.0.1.1.0.2320.6941.7-1j2j1.4.0....0...1c.1.32.mobile-gws-hp..10.3.2751.hC64D8ZesA s]http://www.google.com/searc...0.3.2751.hC64D8ZesAs[/URL]

This. Look for the pic of the hub that has a solid center

This one? If so, double check the VIN to see if you have an 88. If not, then someone changed out the front spindles to hubs. Either way, the rotor is stuck on to the hub and has to be removed. The bolts that hold the hub unit on are under the rotor (and hub flange).

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are there small metal clips on the wheel studs? They're put on at the factory to hold the rotor in place on the assembly line.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
88 Front, I bet that is what it is too.

Hey bonus if you accidentally own an 88!
frozenpuppy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frozenpuppySend a Private Message to frozenpuppyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats it. Funny thing is this cars titled as an 87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had a few cars titled the wrong year, it must be many times the person at the counter just takes the person applying for a titles word for it.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where is your oil filter?

10th digit in the VIN should be a 'H' for 87, 'J' for 88

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 12-10-2013).]

frozenpuppy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frozenpuppySend a Private Message to frozenpuppyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Are there small metal clips on the wheel studs? They're put on at the factory to hold the rotor in place on the assembly line.

Yes there are. Guys either this is an 88 or an 87 with 88 hubs but if I hit these rotors any harder im scared for my suspension this car sat for 6 yrs and has the original rotors on it as I can tell from the clips to hold the rotors on. What should I do to take them off amd should I return my old rotors then? I dont think this rotor/hub assy will fit on my car?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Yeah this too:

Originally posted by Rodrv6:

Look at your front shocks. Do they go up the center of the coil spring (88) or are they behind the coil spring (84-87).

PFF
System Bot
frozenpuppy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frozenpuppySend a Private Message to frozenpuppyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Verdict is j. Its an 88. Is that good?
frozenpuppy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frozenpuppySend a Private Message to frozenpuppyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

frozenpuppy

18 posts
Member since Nov 2013
For any one I didnt directly respond to sry its a pita on my droid (I mean tracking device) but I aniahlated the rotor with a sledgehammer and took a chunk out of it but good news it broke loose!
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best way to hit the rotors to get them off - use a 3 or 5 lb hammer and smack the rotor on the front face right between the wheel studs. You'd think that hitting them from behind would work better but it doesn't. Hitting them on the face really loosens up the rust that is holding it to the hub.

Does the rear of the car have a lower control arm and a ball joint or does it have three links connecting to the knuckle? The three link is an 88

[This message has been edited by TONY_C (edited 12-10-2013).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Verdict is j. Its an 88. Is that good?

General view is Yes....that's good. You will like the suspension, but work a little harder maintaining an 88 Duke.

Brake parts are completely different and sometimes hard to find,,, which I am sure you are learning right now..

frozenpuppy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frozenpuppySend a Private Message to frozenpuppyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

General view is Yes....that's good. You will like the suspension, but work a little harder maintaining an 88 Duke.

Brake parts are completely different and sometimes hard to find,,, which I am sure you are learning right now..

Yes I am finding this out now, as I am currently looking at re-shipping pads, rotors, and calipers back to rock auto that I already paid like 60+$ to ship to me at cheapest rates. Rock auto has also become a TERRIBLE rip off with their shipping.
jsmorter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jsmorterSend a Private Message to jsmorterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
best way to get the rotors off isn't with a hammer. Use an air hammer between the wheel studs and vibrate the rotor with it. That breaks the corrosion. Also use some penetrating oil sprayed at the base of the studs.
frozenpuppy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frozenpuppySend a Private Message to frozenpuppyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jsmorter:

best way to get the rotors off isn't with a hammer. Use an air hammer between the wheel studs and vibrate the rotor with it. That breaks the corrosion. Also use some penetrating oil sprayed at the base of the studs.

Yeah there was no way an air hammer was gonna touch this rust not to burst your bubble but I have never had rotors so rusted on a car in my entire life that I was seriously thinking they were all part of the hub and I was doing something wrong. Theres literally chunks taken out of these rotors from pounding them off with a sledge.. and i'd say each rotor took about a good 40 whacks with a sledge to bust em loose. I think ill do wheel bearings too with the damage I likely did. anyways we can conclude this problem is solved. thanks.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep 88 is the best suspension, basically completely redone and improved. I think the engine is better balanced as well.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

anyways we can conclude this problem is solved. thanks.

Did you say 'wheel bearings'? The problem is not solved. You will have to get in touch with Rodney Dickman I think.

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah.. If your talking about front 88 bearings, Rodney dickman.com or you have to make some from 84-87 rear bearings.. Do a search on here, or go see dickman.

Cheers, best of luck with the 88. It's worth the hassle.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For any one I didnt directly respond to sry its a pita on my droid (I mean tracking device) but I aniahlated the rotor with a sledgehammer and took a chunk out of it but good news it broke loose!

And you likely annihilated the wheel bearing as well...
lurtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurtzSend a Private Message to lurtzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

Yeah.. If your talking about front 88 bearings, Rodney dickman.com or you have to make some from 84-87 rear bearings.. Do a search on here, or go see dickman.

Cheers, best of luck with the 88. It's worth the hassle.

Not to hijack the thread but how do you make front bearings for an 88 out of 84-87 rears?
jsmorter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jsmorterSend a Private Message to jsmorterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the bearings are why you use an air hammer on them and vibrate the corrosion loose
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurtz:

Not to hijack the thread but how do you make front bearings for an 88 out of 84-87 rears?

To sum it up quick; Take the pre 88 rear bearing assembly, fill the axle hole with a large bolt or threaded rod and weld it up so it doesn't crush under the vehicle weight and adapt the flange to fit.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jsmorter:

the bearings are why you use an air hammer on them and vibrate the corrosion loose

Thank you!

It usually pays to use the proper tool for the job.

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't it be better to use a gear puller or similar to pull the rotor off, vs using a sledge hammer?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

To sum it up quick; Take the pre 88 rear bearing assembly, fill the axle hole with a large bolt or threaded rod and weld it up so it doesn't crush under the vehicle weight and adapt the flange to fit.

It's not that easy, or we'd have been doing it all along.
It's not a direct bolt-in. It requires special (and expensive) knuckles from Araut. (formerly Held Motorsports).

Just get Rodney Dickman's replacements. You won't find any that are better, and some that are marginal at best.
Or look for used ones in the Mall section of this Forum. Check the seller's rating.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe some PB blaster too.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I have had a few cars titled the wrong year, it must be many times the person at the counter just takes the person applying for a titles word for it.

That happens more than you would expect...especially ones built around the model changover. I had a Mercedes SL titled as a 73. Every time I bought parts they were wrong...especially brakes which were completely different. Turned out mine was built right at the switchover and used 72 brakes. They apparently just use whatever is in stock at the time of assembly till they run out. One of my Corvettes also had the previous years seats in it from the factory. Ive really seen it a lot on paint colors. When they had a LOT of left over color at the model switch, they just used it up and called it a 'Special Edition', putting on a sticker/emblem saying that.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock