Started on: 12-09-2013 10:31 PM
Replies: 4 (607 views)
Last post by: djlamp14 on 12-12-2013 07:33 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 2006 gen III 3800 just developed a new coolant leak somewhere on the front side of the engine. We can see coolant running down on the rear manifold heat shield but the top of the engine the front, rear and the surface along the valve covers where it meets the LIM is completely dry. We suspect that either a freeze plug worked loose or that the seepage is from one of the manifold bolts. Tomorrow the heat shield will come off and we will see what shows but this leak is puzzling. Sure hope that its not seeping from the side of the head!!. I am certain that I will find the leak but meanwhile does anyone have any ideas? The guess so far is one of the manifold bolts

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're description is kind of confusing because you are referring to "front" and "side" of the engine incorrectly. If you mean the leak is coming from the same side of the motor as the exhaust manifold there I can't think of anything other than the freeze plug or maybe knock sensor. The common coolant leaks on these engines are LIM gasket, coolant elbows (usually not used with fiero swaps though), the little cover plate on the LIM below the throttle body, rear or front cover gasket and the usual places like waterpump and tstat housing.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

You're description is kind of confusing because you are referring to "front" and "side" of the engine incorrectly. If you mean the leak is coming from the same side of the motor as the exhaust manifold there I can't think of anything other than the freeze plug or maybe knock sensor. The common coolant leaks on these engines are LIM gasket, coolant elbows (usually not used with fiero swaps though), the little cover plate on the LIM below the throttle body, rear or front cover gasket and the usual places like waterpump and tstat housing.

This leak is definitely not a LIM leak so I would agree with some of your other possible causes. Its been too darn cold to get back into the garage of late but this weekend I will get the heater going and see what gives.
AFAIK, the front of the engine is the end with the water pump, the rear is the one with the trans on it. In transverse mounting. then I refer to the front side and rear side. How else would you describe it. The leak is on the front side near the firewall. The top of the engine is completely dry. The leak is dripping along left to right on the manifold shield. Looks like its somewhere in the vicinity of the exhaust manifold bolts on the trans side. I am expecting that as soon as I pull the heat shield off we should see the leak. Thanks for the reply.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you sure its not coming from the front cover on the side of the motor?

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

djlamp14

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for djlamp14Send a Private Message to djlamp14Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Post some pictures I'll tell you

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock