Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  12v ign pwr in rear compartment? (Stock '87 4cyl)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
12v ign pwr in rear compartment? (Stock '87 4cyl) by perceptionist
Started on: 12-08-2013 04:07 PM
Replies: 10 (240 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 12-11-2013 12:19 PM
perceptionist

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perceptionistSend a Private Message to perceptionistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,

I've been carrying around an emergency jump start pack in my trunk, but it occasionally needs to be brought into the house and plugged in for charging. I want to provide a 12v outlet in the trunk compartment which I can plug an inverter into. I plan to keep the jump start pack plugged into this inverter.

Before I go running new cables for this project, can anyone tell me where there might be an ignition controlled 12v power source I can tap into which is already in the rear of the car? I'm thinking I can use a wire from the alternator or something. I only need the inverter to be on when the car is running, this will keep my jump pack topped off in case I need it for myself or to help someone out.

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dk Blue wire at C500 - pin C1. It is the power source for the back up light switch.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't use the alternator wire. It's connected directly to the battery.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There should be a wire going to the fuel pump relay & A/C relay that turns hot with key on. Its on the firewall near the air cleaner on 2.8's.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

perceptionist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perceptionistSend a Private Message to perceptionistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Thanks for all the replies. I'm hoping to get it set up this weekend!
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does your jump pack have a 12v. power plug? If so, you can just wire the 12v. source to plug into that & it should keep it charged up - no need for a 110v. converter (which draws a LOT of current).
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tha Driver:

Does your jump pack have a 12v. power plug? If so, you can just wire the 12v. source to plug into that & it should keep it charged up - no need for a 110v. converter (which draws a LOT of current).
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

+1

http://www.amazon.com/SOLAR...tech-data/B000GTOSTE

perceptionist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for perceptionistSend a Private Message to perceptionistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It does have a 12v power plug, but I thought that was a power "output". I'll pull out the manual when I get home this weekend to confirm that its bi-directional... would be great if I can use it!

Thanks for the suggestion!
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Husky Powerstation™ can charge through the plug, and you can use things from the plug, hopefully yours is the same way. I don't love DC to AC inverters because they can create voltage spikes and damage electronics you have plugged into them. This is only the case if you have a square wave Wave inverter, which are way less expensive than a sine wave inverter (simulates what power company supplies in wall socket).

Stolen from electronics website:

Cheap inverters are square wave / quasi-square wave. Avoid them at all costs for PC/sensitive equipment unless u have a PC power supply that is able to cope with higher input harmonic content. i.e. HUGE capacitors on the input filter. These inverters produce a square wave output where the RMS is about the same as the wall socket voltage, but it is VERY noisy. OK for apps like lighting, heating, running motors etc.

Sine wave inverters are the best. They utilize sinusoidal PWM to produce a CLEAN sinewave which is representative of that found in the mains wall socket. The circuitry is a lot more complex than the square wave, but they don't produce any "hum" or "noise" when connected to sensitive equipment like hifi's, PC's, medical equipment etc.

Bottom line ... get the sine wave .... its less likely to mess up your equipment.

One more thing ... be wary of the various power ratings for inverters. The one to trust when sizing an inverter is the RMS/Continuous rating.

EDIT: Add image

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 12-10-2013).]

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 05:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by perceptionist:
I've been carrying around an emergency jump start pack in my trunk, but it occasionally needs to be brought into the house and plugged in for charging. I want to provide a 12v outlet in the trunk compartment which I can plug an inverter into. I plan to keep the jump start pack plugged into this inverter.

Inverters often fails, cheap ones even more so. You hope it only blow fuses or circuit opens. A bad inverter can melt and even cause fire w/o blowing fuse.
Having battery pack w/ 120vac charging in trunk is likely not a good plan.

Unless 12v port is made as a charge port... Many are not. Having connected to car can have big problems too. Many have Li___ batteries. Lithium base batteries need own chargers. They will shut down charging if full, too hot/cold, etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 12-10-2013).]

rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My jump starter has a 12v socket and came with a double ended male plug to charge it. If I was you, I wouldnt leave it a permanent connection. If you get a short in the car and it kills the battery, it will also kill the jumpstart battery. I also have a little nicad pack I bought that charges at home or from 12v socket. It only needs charged every few months for a few hours. To jump your car, you just plug it into the car socket and wait about 10 mins. In most cases of just a low battery it will charge it enough for a start. It also has a 12v socket you can run 12v devices from if you want. It was like $15 @ HF.

Again, I wouldnt leave a jumpstarter connected. If you really want something permanent do what RVs do and put in a second battery wired thru a battery isolator (basicly just a solenoid). When the key is on both batteries are charged, when its off the aux battery is disconnected. Both my limo and motorhome has this setup. If the vehicle battery is dead and wont start, you just push a switch on the dash to engage the aux battery and start it up.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock