Electrical Gremlins by RilesOfSmiles
Started on: 12-07-2013 02:29 PM
Replies: 10 (276 views)
Last post by: Francis T on 12-24-2013 11:52 PM
RilesOfSmiles

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RilesOfSmilesSend a Private Message to RilesOfSmilesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So my brother and dad changed the alternator on their 88 formula because it wasn't charging the battery. Had a red light on the volt gauge and showed 11.3 volts on the battery when it was running. So they put a new one in and they made the mistake of hooking up the battery before reconnecting the alternator. When they tried to attach the bottom wire to the alternator post they said it made a huge spark and sizzled and broke the connector in half. So they took the battery out then reattached the alternator and then put the battery in. The car started fine but the battery is still not charging! Plus the alternator was making this loud electrical humming noise that kept getting louder.

I think its safe to assume they fried the new alternator. What do you guys think?

[This message has been edited by RilesOfSmiles (edited 12-07-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, fried it.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a very good chance you've fried it, but you could probably take it into your nearest parts store and have it tested. Most will do it for free, and it's worth finding out for sure before buying another new one.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate those d%mn expensive lessions, sounds like its fried. What is the voltage on the battery, I know with mine if the battery is not charged the alternator will not charge, but after I charge it the alternator works fine. If that makes sense.
falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure your brown wire is not damaged. You need voltage on it to activate the alternator.

------------------
"I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm just flying too low."

Work done 07-08 | Work done 08-09 | Work done 09-10 | Work done 10-11 | Work done 11-12 | Work done 12-13 |Work done 13-14 | 4.9 Swap |Parts for sale

[This message has been edited by falcon_ca (edited 12-10-2013).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RilesOfSmiles:

So my brother and dad changed the alternator on their 88 formula because it wasn't charging the battery. Had a red light on the volt gauge and showed 11.3 volts on the battery when it was running. So they put a new one in and they made the mistake of hooking up the battery before reconnecting the alternator. When they tried to attach the bottom wire to the alternator post they said it made a huge spark and sizzled and broke the connector in half. So they took the battery out then reattached the alternator and then put the battery in. The car started fine but the battery is still not charging! Plus the alternator was making this loud electrical humming noise that kept getting louder.

I think its safe to assume they fried the new alternator. What do you guys think?

Take it back to where you got it and have them test it, do not, I repeat do not tell them what you did, tell them you did it the right way and its just not charging. get a new one and install it. I know its not right, but it will save you or them the cost of a new one.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

CarverToo

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarverTooSend a Private Message to CarverTooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Take it back to where you got it and have them test it, do not, I repeat do not tell them what you did, tell them you did it the right way and its just not charging. get a new one and install it. I know its not right, but it will save you or them the cost of a new one.

Steve

In before the trash can.

RilesOfSmiles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RilesOfSmilesSend a Private Message to RilesOfSmilesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So UPDATE!

Turns out the alternator is fine and its just not charging. Anyone have any ideas? It makes this loud buzzing noise which gets louder and louder the longer it runs. Red light on the volt gauge and multimeter still shows it isn't charging. Could something else have gotten fried? I'm not really familiar with the Fiero's charging system.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to confirm...you took the alternator in and had it tested?

Does the alternator light on the dash come on with the key? If the bulb is burnt out, then the alternator won't work.

Have you had the battery tested? You should charge it fully before running the car. If the battery is dead or damaged, then this may stop the alternator from working. Running with a bad battery for too long may also damage the voltage regulator.
RilesOfSmiles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RilesOfSmilesSend a Private Message to RilesOfSmilesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

Just wanted to confirm...you took the alternator in and had it tested?

Does the alternator light on the dash come on with the key? If the bulb is burnt out, then the alternator won't work.

Have you had the battery tested? You should charge it fully before running the car. If the battery is dead or damaged, then this may stop the alternator from working. Running with a bad battery for too long may also damage the voltage regulator.

Yeah we took the alternator in to get it tested and it tested fine. When the engine is running the light is on and the battery shows 12.4 volts. We had to replace the the small connector that goes on the nut on the alternator (the one covered by the rubber boot) because the old one literally blew apart. As far as I can tell the alternator is charging but the power it generates isn't reaching the battery. And then there is the matter of that unknown electrical humming coming from it. I don't let the car run too long for fear of frying something.
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get it tested! If it's NG and the new one overcharges, make sure the small wire with the push-on connected on you alt is good and the connector is clean.

------------------
http://i16.photobucket.com/...ancis44/100_1147.jpg
[/URL]

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/francis4
4/000_0451-1.jpg[/IMG]
trueleo.com

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to: