Started on: 12-06-2013 07:17 PM
Replies: 32 (1057 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 01-12-2017 11:50 AM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been driving an Isuzu 5-spd for years... summer as well as winter. No problems.

Got an '88 Formula this past summer. Has a Getrag 5-spd.

This week the temperature in Vancouver has dropped lower than usual.

Hadn't driven the Formula for a couple days.

Got in it this morning and discovered the select cable was frozen solid.

I didn't feel like driving the Formula with only 3rd and 4th gear, so I drove the '94 Elantra instead.

Bummer.

What a stupid design... the select cable on the Getrag points straight up right under the driver's side decklid grill where rain has a chance to beat on it endlessly.

How the heck do you guys who live in cold winter locations deal with this issue?

Must be no Getrags in Edmonton.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-18-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My getrag select cable was really tough on the way home. Then the next morning, it was chilly, and it was so frozen that I broke the lever pin thing on the shifter!
uhlanstan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post12-06-2013 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
clean it out with brake cleaner to loosen & hopefully get rid of what ever is freezing,, water ot lube
some times a cable needs lube ,use some form of dry lubricant that does not freeze
you can place a small hole if needed to drain or spray ,then cover it tightly with black tape
Fiero cables normally do not require lubricant
this should help untill the boys from Dawson or north Yukon or sgt preston pipe in
luckily you are in the Canadian temperate vacation zone
if cable ends are exposed to water or moisture make a simple protection guard from a soda bottle
you can use a bottle with a larger opening spout & slip it over the cable IF REQUIRED
YOU MAY NEED A BOTTLE WITH A FLAT BOTTOM for easiest mounting,,just think about it

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 12-06-2013).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick, just start the car and let it warm up for a while. Water has gotten down into the select cable and the exhaust and coolant hose in the area of the lower part of the select cable will melt it. A common problem with the Getrag select when the rubber boot on the end of the cable deteriorates.

It is a precursor of things to come. Even in the milder climes of East-Northeast Georgia, I had the same problem. Trying to slow drip lubricant into the sheath didn't help. Shortly afterward, my cable frayed enough that it wouldn't select, even when warm.

Go ahead and spring for Rodney's select cable and save yourself a breakdown at the most inopportune time.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 11-09-2018).]

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 05:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
A common problem with the Getrag select when the rubber boot on the end of the cable deteriorates.

The Getrag select cable never had a rubber boot. Factory or aftermarket. Of all the Fiero shifting cables this is the cable that needs a boot but did not have one. I added a rubber boot to my Getrag select cables a few years ago. So now all my Getrag select cables have a rubber boot on them.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Patrick, just start the car and let it warm up for a while. Water has gotten down into the select cable and the exhaust and coolant hose in the area of the lower part of the select cable will melt it. A common problem with the Getrag select when the rubber boot on the end of the cable deteriorates.

It is a precursor of things to come. Even in the milder climes of East-Northeast Georgia, I had the same problem. Trying to slow drip lubricant into the sheath didn't help. Shortly afterward, my cable frayed enough that it wouldn't select, even when warm.

Go ahead and spring for Rodney's select cable and save yourself a breakdown at the most inopportune time.

Corrected. Thanks.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. It's appreciated.

I posted something HERE last August that is probably relevant...

Originally posted by Patrick:

Perhaps different brands of cables are made differently, but there's no evidence of a rubber boot ever being on my select cable. (The shift cable has one.) The select cable actually moves easily enough when it's not attached, but when it's connected at both ends it definitely takes a little "oomph" to get the shifter over for 5th and/or reverse.

By disconnecting both ends of the select cable, I was able to pull the tranny end of the cable out enough to reveal a thinner part of the cable which allowed me to literally pour a small amount of quality oil down the insides. I'm hoping this will continue to work it's way down (since the cable points up) and allow the cable to slide a little easier.

After putting a bit of oil down inside the select cable, I can't say it did a whole lot. Yes, the shifter moved a little easier side to side, but not a whole lot.

I'm positive that since then, moisture from all the rain we get here has worked its way into the cable, and that's why it froze up when the temperature dropped this week.

I was able to grab a select cable in decent shape from an '88 GT at the wreckers to use as a spare, but it appears to be constructed just a little bit different than the one currently on the Formula. As I stated in the quote above, I was able to move the select cable on the Formula in such a manner that putting a lubricant inside the cable was relatively easy (not that it appeared to do much). However, this spare select cable (pictured below) will not extend out far enough to allow me access to the "thinner" part of the inside cable, and therefore this makes getting any lubricant in there quite a challenge.

I'll try what Stan suggested with my present cable (to try and keep moisture out), but does anyone have any suggestions for treating either select cable I have with some new wonder-lube before I send Rodney more money for another one of his fine products?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-08-2013).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been dealing with select cable problems myself. Up until recently, my Fiero was parked in an uncovered driveway. So whenever it rained (and it rains a lot here), the select cable got wet.

When I swapped in the Getrag, I put in a new select cable. Within 2 years, it had rusted up inside, to the point where it took both hands to move the shifter back and forth. So I replaced that with Rodney's cable. Unfortunately, after a few years, Rodney's select cable is starting to do the same thing.

Personally, I don't think the cable is the problem. And I'm not going to fault Rodney. It's just a bad cable routing design, that makes the cable prone to collecting water inside, which ruins the cable. When I get around to replacing the select cable again, I'll see if I can kludge up a water deflector to keep the rainwater off the cable end.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

So I replaced that with Rodney's cable. Unfortunately, after a few years, Rodney's select cable is starting to do the same thing.

Do you have my older type with the OEM style wiper like the pictures above or my new style with the rubber boot? Heat is also a reason they do not last as long as other cables.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I have the same discribed problem as Blacktree. Though I bought Rodney's cables back in 2008 and the shift and select
are doing the same thing. The select cable is stiff.

My other 88GT has original cables in it, and shifts alot smoother with less effort.

I'll probably have to upgrade to Rodney's new cables with the rubber boot.

Since the fiero is becomming an older 2 seater classic, they should be garaged all the time. Shame if you don't.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney: Do you have my older type with the OEM style wiper like the pictures above or my new style with the rubber boot? Heat is also a reason they do not last as long as other cables.

I'm not sure which version I have, but will snap a photo when time permits.

I also agree with you regarding the heat issue. My engine (3.4 V6) also has headers on it. And the junction on the Y-pipe is just a few inches away from that cable. Maybe a combination heat / rain shield is in order.
PFF
System Bot
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is doing the same thing

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2013 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So , is there an add on rubber boot to prevent this?
Or maybe some silicone grease, or a seal?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 12-13-2013).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2013 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

...or a seal?

Keep in mind that is a seal you see in my images of the select cable posted above.

We're all waiting eagerly to see if Blacktree's rusted/binding select cable from Rodney has a rubber boot on it or not.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, here's a shot of the cable end. So uh... you tell me. Is that the old or new version?

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

OK, here's a shot of the cable end. So uh... you tell me. Is that the old or new version?

Pre old version. Very old version I guess.

Have not sold those for several years now.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info. In any case, I'll be buying a new cable from you very soon.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2016 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For the first time since I started this thread back in 2013, the temperature has dropped enough here to cause me grief again. What a nuisance! I have to warm up the car for ten minutes in the morning for enough heat to be generated to thaw out this cable.

------------------

viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2016 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look at the bright side, Patrick. At least you're assured a fully oiled engine before you even try driving off! No premature wear on your bearings in the winter, anyhow. In the meantime, perhaps lock-de-icer might reside inside the cable sheath long enough to ensure a smooth winter, if only you could devise a way to get it in there.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2016 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

Look at the bright side...

The bright side is that by Monday we're expected to be back to our usual mild temperatures and rain.

I don't know how the rest of the country puts up with ice and snow all winter. Such a hassle! Yes, we're certainly spoiled out here on the west coast.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2016 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine started doing that back before you started this thread. Even in the mild sub-freezing temps around here. The water that was getting inside eventually rusted the cable, causing it to fray and lock up. Rodney to the rescue.

Aerodynamic said he had taken a shop vac and duct taped the shifter end of the cable into the vacuum hose to make a strong vacuum. He then placed the transmission end into some light oil and managed to pull oil into a cable.
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2016 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got distracted. Double post.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 12-18-2016).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2016 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Either let the car idle for about 15 minutes and if that doesn't work hit the cable end for a few minutes with a heat gun or a hair dryer if you do not have one but be carefully not to melt the end,. Once free spray WD40 on the cable.. WD stands for water dispersent.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 12-18-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2016 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

After getting a huge dump of snow last night, the temperature is currently on its way up. Slush city, here we come. At least the select cable will be moving freely now.

I had accidentally stumbled across this thread a few days ago, and it just happened that we were getting a repeat of the weather conditions of three years ago. The funny thing is, I had forgotten all about the replacement select cable (mentioned Here) that I had picked up back then. If I can find it in my basement after all this time , maybe I should install it and perhaps avoid this frozen cable issue during the next cold snap!
lurtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2016 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurtzSend a Private Message to lurtzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

The bright side is that by Monday we're expected to be back to our usual mild temperatures and rain.

I don't know how the rest of the country puts up with ice and snow all winter. Such a hassle! Yes, we're certainly spoiled out here on the west coast.

Haha up here in the snowy, windy, icy, and salty northeast of New Hampshire I end up putting the fun toys away for six montgs of the year. The wicked cold temps hovering around -5 (f) The past couple of morning makes the cars unhappy. Power steering pumps groan and starters get a good workout trying to turn over colder then ice engine blocks.

Ive never had a Getrag that was used in the winter, so Ive never had a completely frozen cable. Though before I was able to store a fiero for the winter and it was my daily. I do remember one wicked cold morning (~ -30 (f) ) where my fiero over heated on the way to highschool. It was ironic that on the coldest day of the year I was not able to keep the engine cool. Fortunately I was close to school when it started to get hot. Parked it and during the day as the temps warmed up, the frozen coolant line thawed and all was good again.

All in all winter is not too bad...... eh, who am I kidding. It's December, I parked the plastic car weeks ago, it's -3 outside and I have atleast 3 more months for it to get much worse before its better 😀.

[This message has been edited by lurtz (edited 12-19-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2016 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurtz:

All in all winter is not too bad...... eh, who am I kidding. It's December, I parked the plastic car weeks ago, it's -3 outside and I have at least 3 more months for it to get much worse before its better .

Aw man, you're a whole lot tougher than me. We're all wimps out here.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2017 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This has been a weird winter so far for usually mild Vancouver. We've had snow on the ground for the last three weeks or so. The last couple of days the temperature warmed up a few degrees and it had been raining steady. However, last night the rain stopped, the temperature dropped a bit... and today I can't get in the car as both door locks are frozen solid. Arrgh....

This is the beginning of a cold front blowing in from the north-east. Damn those Albertans. It's expected to get down to -20°C with the wind chill factor in the next day or so.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-10-2017).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2017 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cant you fabricate some kind of sheet metal baffle/deflector to mount just above the cable to keep water from dripping on it ? I realize that might just be a bandaid.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2017 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Cant you fabricate some kind of sheet metal baffle/deflector to mount just above the cable to keep water from dripping on it ?

Yeah, it probably wouldn't be that difficult to come up with something. I guess my excuse up to this point is that it so seldom gets cold enough here to freeze things up.

Of course, with the water now already inside the select cable, putting a cover of some sort over the end of the cable may not help for awhile.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2017 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could pull the cable off and take it in the house for a few days to dry out, maybe even use a hair dryer to speed it up. Then hang it by one end and keep putting WD40 in the upside for a few more days. Then put on a baffle.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2017 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

You could pull the cable off and take it in the house for a few days to dry out...

It's too damn cold outside to be messing about removing the select cable.

I don't expect this spell of frigid weather to last too long. In the meantime, I'll just need to warm up the car a bit longer to thaw out the cable before I drive off. However, I'll definitely try doing something about this issue before next winter... although chances are it may be two or three years before we get this type of cold snap here again.
PFF
System Bot
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2017 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We're enjoying your weather today; 9 degrees and raining, lol!

If you have access to a receptacle, you might consider trying pipe heaters like these:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en...able.1000175338.html

http://www.canadiantire.ca/...es-0522584p.html#srp
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2017 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

We're enjoying your weather today; 9 degrees and raining, lol!

Somehow, the weather patterns have reversed across the country!

My Formula is parked on the street, so those heaters aren't an option. Anyway, I'm hoping we get back to our usual rain a few days.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock