Testing Radiator Fan by dallasreese
Started on: 12-06-2013 04:42 PM
Replies: 2 (120 views)
Last post by: 1MohrFiero on 12-07-2013 09:54 AM
dallasreese

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dallasreeseSend a Private Message to dallasreeseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Guys..On my 84 Fiero I have a problem with my radiator fan not working at all. I have slight resistance when I turn the fan by hand as well as a noise as if something is obstructing the movement. Weeks before I noticed that the fan would come on when I started tbe engine but now it has stopped altogether. I also noticed that there is a small crack in the ceramic unit attached to back if fan. I was wanting to first check the fan motor by jumping from battery but not .sure what connection to ug to. Can you guys give me a step by step diagnostic procedure to tell me what parts I will need to purchase. And also I want fan to come on at 209.degrees. Thanks guys.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
84 w/ AC has 2 speed fan.
See my Cave, Rad Fan

Just bypass resistor if bad but sounds like motor is bad too.
motor should not have resistance moving by hand.
Bad motor can kill resistor and relay.

Check G101 and G102 too.
See my Cave, Wire Service and Electric Motors

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 2 stage fan went out on the 84 I had years ago. When I got it out, I found that a couple of the stator plates (glued to the outside of the fan body) had come loose and jammed into the rotor preventing the fan from spinning. That sounds like the same problem you have. They are not repairable and a new replacement was about $245 back then. Check out Ogre's page, he has explained your options very well. Good luck.

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock