Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  After turning off ignition all of the gauges freeze and do not go to zero (0).

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
After turning off ignition all of the gauges freeze and do not go to zero (0). by Fiero.1984
Started on: 12-04-2013 08:42 PM
Replies: 8 (441 views)
Last post by: Charles Schutty on 12-05-2013 08:52 PM
Fiero.1984

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero.1984Send a Private Message to Fiero.1984Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1984 Fiero SE with 2.5 and automatic. When I turn off the motor, all of the gauges freeze in place and do not go to zero. The speedometer, tach, temp, etc all stay at the values that they had when running. Since I drive the car only a few times a month, I do not remember when this started to happen.

Does all Fieros do this? It is a minor problem and if it is too hard to fix, I will just live with it. But I would be interested if anyone else has this problem or does all Fieros work this way?

Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes that is what they do. They are not broken. Nothing to fix.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Return-to-zero gauges were only introduced in the '86 model year.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like mentioned above, it's perfectly normal.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's me driving with no steering wheel at 30 KPH and 2,000 RPM heading for a brick wall

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 12-04-2013).]

Sabenn_88_notch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sabenn_88_notchSend a Private Message to Sabenn_88_notchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it when they dont go back to zero, in my car when I turn the key to on they all spin around once or twice like they are happy to see me.
Like a puppy dog
Fiero.1984

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero.1984Send a Private Message to Fiero.1984Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am glad that it does not need to be fixed.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Like mentioned above, it's perfectly normal.

Another fine job from GM.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Charles Schutty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charles SchuttySend a Private Message to Charles SchuttyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got an '86. My first Fiero. It has been on jackstands more that on the pavement.
My orginal 'Temp/Fuel' had a good Temp reading but nothing (Jammed) on the fuel gauge. I replaced the cluster with one that now doesn't work either Temp or Fuel. The Fuel is pegged at full, and the Temp is really reading low. I plan to put the original back in as Temp is pretty important on my Ironman 4, 5 speed.
A retired GM school trained mechamic said maybe grounding the fuel may get it to work.
My fuel pressure is 7.5 pounds and I believe 9 to 12.5 pounds is accepable. I bought a new fuel pump/sended unit and got too excited and topped off the fuel before installing it. Had to do some driving with it.
First time I got in a storm in Butte Mt and on black ice. That is an experiece for a 'rookie' (rack/pinion steering) and high speed tires. Now it is 8 degrees below zero and that shuts down the Fiero work until spring. I am not going to syphon the fuel but drive it out. So far I got 29.44 mpg with all mostly in the middle gears, driving on black ice and 52 miles of highway. That must be one hell of a car.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock