Technical Drawings Question - 1988 Hubs by 88ttop3800
Started on: 12-04-2013 03:49 PM
Replies: 5 (834 views)
Last post by: 88ttop3800 on 12-16-2013 10:04 AM
88ttop3800

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88ttop3800Send a Private Message to 88ttop3800Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone. I'm thinking about working with a local machine shop to make some 1988 front/rear hubs/bearings with a different wheel pattern to put on some different rims. Does anyone have any drawings or specs related to the hubs/bearings on the front and back?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you want a machine shop to make adapters, or new hubs? New sealed hubs are not a "machine shop" item. They are something you need to invest 4 to 5 digits into tooling for.

The OEM '88 front hub flange is big enough to drill out for pretty much any pattern you might want. The rear is not. Some members on the Yahoo Fiero Racing List have adapted Achieva hubs to the rear uprights. Those hubs might have a larger flange. Otherwise, adapters are the way to go.
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney Dickman is making new front hubs for '88s, with better bearings. I think you can get them undrilled for lug patterns, & you could have the machine shop drill them to your wheels - if the pattern is not too big...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like mentioned above, the 88 fronts can be redrilled to most of the other common patterns. For the rear you can machine/modify another (larger) wheel bearing with the pattern you want (5 x 114.3, 5 x 115, 5 x 4 3/4") and the 88 upright to change over the pattern in the rear.

This thread shows some details for both front and rear:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/120747.html
FieroNate

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroNateClick Here to visit FieroNate's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroNateEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First of all you can make new hubs if you ant. But it'll cost you between 2-3K to do correctly unless you know a shop thats really good with their labor rates.

You'll need a shop with a good lathe and mill (preferably CNC) and access to either a shaper or broach to cut the splines. Then they'll have to send the splined parts out to be induction hardened. All do-able but not cheap.

On my 87 I switched to the newer Grand Prix wheel bearings which use the larger 31 spline as part of my engine swap. That got me 5 X 115mm which happened to be the second bolt pattern on the wheels I have.

What pattern do you want to put it?
88ttop3800

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2013 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88ttop3800Send a Private Message to 88ttop3800Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock