Anyone Recognize This Part? by smmilke
Started on: 12-04-2013 12:52 AM
Replies: 7 (349 views)
Last post by: cmechmann on 12-04-2013 09:24 PM
smmilke

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smmilkeSend a Private Message to smmilkeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I was pulling things apart for my rebuild I found a steel disk about 3 inches in diameter and an inch thick. It was just sitting on top of one of the frame rails and not attached to anything. At first I thought it was a part from some other machine that just happened to land on a frame rail and get stuck there, but I found a matching bolt and bolt hole in the frame. The thing is I cannot understand what this part is or what it does! I have rebuilt the cradle, rear suspension, and now engine and have never found a purpose for this part. Someone clear up this mystery!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thx569

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thx569Send a Private Message to thx569Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Vibration damper
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, it is a dampner for the cradle on 4 cylinder models. It hangs out on the cradle close to the crank pulley I want to say, 84 only?
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 06:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's on my '86 as well.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My '86 Duke had one of those, but the '87 didn't. Instead, the '87 Duke had a liquid-filled motor mount.
smmilke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smmilkeSend a Private Message to smmilkeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay that would make sense, it is an '84. I built solid cradle bushings a year ago, I wonder if this thing is still necessary. I'll have to do some testing when the rebuild is complete.
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i was wondering the same thing about its real purpose...
tis not logical to me..
cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It helped a little with the vibrations felt in the body through the cradle. Seen these in other 2.5 GMs. A lot of A bodies. Was more of an Anti-complain thing.
When the cars were new, it helped ever so slightly. After they got a little age to them, they became paper weights.
Should have seen the size of motor mounts on early Quad4s.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock